Torrent question

bruinator

For those of you who torrent I was curious how you keep that pc for having issues like malware, virus and what not. I just started using a PC for torrenting only a week ago and I see it is already having issues of "not responding" issues? I use the following sites like piratebay, KAT, extratorrent, torrents...etc. How can i prevent getting these nasty things. I use kaspersky total security and MBAM pro. Could it be public torrents?

thx

• Replies 8
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Fixed the title, please start the title with a uppercase letter. Makes forum threads and titles look better.

It might be that your torrents are slowing your connection.

Close your torrent client and install cFosSpeed. Let it calibrate for 5-10 mins. After that, run some speed tests.

In addition, adjust your torrent client's settings. Then, also cap your torrent client's speed to 90% of your connection's speed to allow the rest of 10% for browsing.

This is one time settings that required to be done.

As for malware, to prevent them from torrents, download torrents only from famous uploaders, the one with lot of seeders. Good, known uploaders are not likely to have any malware in them.

7 minutes ago, bruinator said:

For movies, can you recommend famous uploaders to use, plz?

thx

for ET site use the torrents uploaded by the home team (etrg)....i meant for movies obviously;)

I download torrents every now and then what torrent program are you using is it utorrent or vuze (formerly known as azureus)?  If its vuze use this:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/optimizing-vuze-speed.htm

There is a calculator in that link here is the calculator:

http://infinite-source.de/az/az-calc.html

Go to speedtestdotnet and run a speedtest closest to your location (go into settings on speedtestdotnet and change the speed type to KB thats kilobytes) then grab the upload bandwidth and put that number in the calculator part at the top that says Kilobytes/second and then put the values it shows in vuze setting's for optimal performance.  Make sure after you put the values in to save the settings each time.  Always look for plenty of seed and make sure the ratio is for example one hundred seed and fifty peers and pay attention to the comments left to the one with the most comments is the one you usually want make sure to read the comments dont have to read all the comments read about ten to twenty comments that should give you a good idea of if the torrent is good or not (does it have malware and if not are the files corrupted).  I recommend you use those torrents sites you mentioned you can use these to:

isohunt

seedpeer

mininova

demonoid (this is a private tracker and you have to get a invite from a demonoid user to register and use it)

When I think of additional ones Ill post them.  I use ESET NODthirtytwo version eight (Im about to upgrade to version nine) malwarebytes anti-exploit premium rubotted keyscrambler premium and comodo firewall.  I always scan exe files that are in the torrents before I run the programs I download to.

When he writes " "not responding" issues " I think he is refering to computer slowdown caused by a malware/virus, not connection slow down impacting the speed of download. In my experience, Cfos is kind of useless, the real parameters are your torrent client configuration, your router configuration and maybe your ADLS/fibre profile (i.e., set by your ISP or you to either stability = no packet loss or speed).

If you experience conenction/speed issues, check your opened port and your firewall configuration.

If you experience computer slowdown, check your temperatures to insure it's not throttling, run virus scan, make sure your antivirus is up to date and windows too.

3 hours ago, tiliarou said:

When he writes " "not responding" issues " I think he is refering to computer slowdown caused by a malware/virus,

If you experience computer slowdown, check your temperatures to insure it's not throttling, run virus scan, make sure your antivirus is up to date and windows too.

yes, issue is in bold. I might install OS again but i would like to prevent it from happening again. What measures can i take besides Kaspersky TS 2016?

thx

In case you may have malware i would try downloading and running tdsskiller and gmer and find out if you have a serious infection you have kaspersky make sure its updated definitions and program updates and then scan for rootkis and bootkits (you should use malwarebytes anti-rootkit to) and aswmbr and if they dont detect anything you are fine (a full system scan with kaspersky have it scan memory boot sectors and registry and hard drive file system a rootkit and bootkit scan is included with that as long as you have the settings enabled in kaspersky settings).  I use eset nodthirtytwo malwarebytes anti-exploit premium keyscrambler premium (to protect me from keyloggers) rubotted and comodo firewall.  If you need help running these programs let me know.

Archived