How Microsoft Botched Windows 10

Batu69

Windows 10 Store Search Broken

The latest news on broken functionality in Windows 10 has recently come to light after a significant number of app developers protested that their apps cannot be readily located in the Windows 10 Store. Apparently, unless the user inputs the identical name of the app they are looking for into the search box, results are all over the place.

Leading the dev protest is Nikolaus Gebhardt, who has been writing apps since the early 2000s and is best known for a an open-source project called “Irrlicht”. Last week, Mr. Gebhardt grew so frustrated, he wrote a post called Why you should not develop apps for Windows 10 which went viral on Reddit:

Since Windows 10 arrived, the sales of all of my apps, which have been very low compared to other apps stores, have gone down significantly, nearly to zero (even the one I upgraded to Windows 10). And it is not surprising that this is the case: You cannot find my apps anywhere in the app store. Unless you know the exact name of my app, you won’t find it. You can type any of the keywords my apps have in their title, description or even in the list of keywords submitted to the store, and it won’t list my apps.

Microsoft has since announced that it will be working on correcting the problem. Now, this issue is probably not going to adversely affect too many users, especially hardcore desktop users, but it is yet another symptom of Microsoft’s poor planning and implementation.

Considering the whole concept behind Win 10 is a unified platform – “One product family, One Platform, One Store” – surely the success of the Windows 10 Store is integral to that end. And, given that the success of the Windows 10 Store is entirely dependent upon developers submitting their apps, why on earth would Microsoft implement a system which makes them almost impossible to find?

Where are the Edge Extensions?

Microsoft made a very similar blunder with its new Edge browser. The company has high hopes for Edge in the battle of the browsers and proudly announced (promised?) that Edge would include support for extensions, then released it without said support saying that it will come some 18 months down the track. Seriously!?

It’s becoming more and more apparent that Windows 10 was rushed out in a last ditch effort to grab a slice of the lucrative mobile market – we’ll just throw it out there and refine it as we go along. Long term, the plan may succeed, who knows, but surely it would been been in Microsoft’s best interests to make sure every feature was fully functional and properly supported before they released the new operating system? One thing for sure, it certainly would have been in the end users’ best interests. Here’s some news for you Microsoft; first impressions are important!

I like Windows 10, I really do, but if Microsoft is in any way serious about its ambition of taking on the world with this latest operating system, the company seriously needs to rethink its strategy (too late?). Who would have thought that when Microsoft sprouted about “Windows as a service” what they really meant was, near enough is good enough and we’ll fix it later.

Article source

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
coromonadalix

Simply put :   Microsoft  is a botched company,  doesnt listen customers ideas, bugs, complaints, feedbacks, ameliorations, the list goes on and on ....

Win 10 is the most problematic version ever existed ... and the privacy concerns is one more problem added on top.

Never used Edge more than 5 minutes,  to download waterfox :)   Edge is a shitty browser, no pluggin available, and for me no having a single home button is unaceptable in any browser out there.

The file manager is totally un-efficient, i have to set group policy to simply have a way to store my settings, and always have them the way i like  EX:  I want a list view, nothing else, but if i add an hdd, the list view is changed ....  ridiculous behaviour,    had to resort to a third party file manager,  pfff

They simply dont learn after all theses years.    I had win 3.1 thru win 10,   windows 2000 was the best for work, xp was the most customisable, win 7 was good, and after that, the nightmare begun.

They drove me more and more to alternative os'es   like Zorin, Remix Os   etc ...

Windows 10 is actually very good OS. Or shall I say it would be if they'd fix just two things:

- God awful retarded forced driver auto installation and updating. Whoever thought this was a good idea should be castrated.

- Windows Update with no ability to selectively install updates like with all older versions. Which is especially shitty with the above driver bullshit.

Other than this, I'm not really holding any grudges against Win10. Force security updates for all I care, but for fucks sake, leave me in control of the damn drivers or when I want to download and install 1GB big updates that then automatically restart the system, disregarding anything that's already running. This part feels to me like devs behind Windows 10 just picked up their first PC and never ever used Vista, Win7 or Win8.x...

Yes, you explained the big main-reason why I will not switch to Win10 !

Second; have to buy other printer also ( not compatible with 10 )

Third; all the things you can do in Win10, I can also in Win7

Fourth; I dont need/use all these apps and other crap which are for "free" in Win10

Conclusion ; no reason at all for making the switch, at least for the time being.

I think Win10 will be muuuch better after one or two years..........

16 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Windows 10 is actually very good OS. Or shall I say it would be if they'd fix just two things:

- God awful retarded forced driver auto installation and updating. Whoever thought this was a good idea should be castrated.

- Windows Update with no ability to selectively install updates like with all older versions. Which is especially shitty with the above driver bullshit.

Other than this, I'm not really holding any grudges against Win10. Force security updates for all I care, but for fucks sake, leave me in control of the damn drivers or when I want to download and install 1GB big updates that then automatically restart the system, disregarding anything that's already running. This part feels to me like devs behind Windows 10 just picked up their first PC and never ever used Vista, Win7 or Win8.x...

i decided to try win 10 cuz i had huge problems making work my usb3 port on seven. it's a pain in the ass to have to get rid of all the spyware & home calling + they had plenty of useless things.

but that except, my usb3 ports are now working, the boot time is altra fast (for the moment) and yes you can avoid those lame forced driver auto update

http://betanews.com/2015/10/05/how-to-stop-windows-10-messing-up-your-drivers/

so no i don't regret switching (yet haha)

17 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Linux  Mint  or even Windows 8.1 was actuality a good O/S  but still people didn't  like it  because it didn't  have a start menu.

Windows 10  is not as stable as  windows 8.1 and its very far away from being as stable as the very  mature  windows 7 sp1.

Win10 Problems Rising, Report Claims

Just last month, Yusuf Mehdi, Corporate VP for the Windows and Devices Group at Microsoft, said there are more than 200 million monthly active devices around the world running Windows 10 — almost double the 110 million announced in October.

But some of that popularity is involuntary because Microsoft forced the new OS on Windows users, downloading and installing it without expressed permission. We've been doing our part to temper any baseless enthusiasm about Win10 for months.

And now, at least according to one computer repair and tech support company, Windows 10 problems are rising rather than decreasing.

Struggles With Apps, Performance and Printers

Syracuse, N.Y.-based RESCUECOM, a provider of cloud-based and local tech support nationwide, reported that the three main concerns are problems are with Windows apps, poor computer performance and, "in a surprising leap, trouble with printers."

RESCUECOM created the list of computer issues from customer calls and the total number of times RESCUECOM received calls for that particular issue.

The top 10 issues in the 2016 Computer Repair Report are as follows:

1. Windows App and Windows O.S. Trouble (61.5 percent)
  2. Poor Computer Performance/Slow PC (9.5 percent)
  3. Printer Issues (6.2 percent)
  4. Viruses/Spyware/Malware/Pop-Ups (6.0 percent)                    
  5. Hardware Trouble (5.7 percent)
  6. Email Issues (4.9 percent)
  7. Internet/Network/Wi-Fi Connection (2.6 percent)
  8. Data Recovery/Movement (1.2 percent)
  9. Mac App Difficulty (1.2 percent)
  10. Failure to Boot/Blue or Blank Screen (0.7 percent)

The data reflects a shift from previous reports, in which issues with viruses and spyware dominated the calls. RESCUECOM noted that increases in sluggish computer performance "could be problems with failures to keep software, operating systems, and apps up to date."

http://www.cmswire.com/customer-experience/speed-read-win10-problems-rising-report-claims/

No wonder the IT  news is all for Windows 10 ... ITs are going to  make a killing in computer repairs  with this O/S  :D

But what do you expect when millions  are installing  a new o/s  on  older hardware not made for it ?

Hi flitox, I dont ever met this usb 3-problems in Win7 !

Im on ASUS Z97-K with usb 3.1-card on it , its working awsome, 10 GB from SSD to external HDD in 90 seconds !

So, I dont think Win7 is the "troublemaker" , but your hardware/drivers .

btw, starting-up my Win7 takes about 12 seconds, are you really faster then I am ..........?

38 minutes ago, Pete 12 said:

Hi flitox, I dont ever met this usb 3-problems in Win7 !

Im on ASUS Z97-K with usb 3.1-card on it , its working awsome, 10 GB from SSD to external HDD in 90 seconds !

So, I dont think Win7 is the "troublemaker" , but your hardware/drivers .

btw, starting-up my Win7 takes about 12 seconds, are you really faster then I am ..........?

The thing i didn't  like about windows 7 was the fact  still needed drivers  for a lot of things that's built into to windows 8 or newer   The more drivers  you have install the more chance of messing something  up but once  you get everything working good windows 7 is not much trouble at all  .

But i never had issues  in windows 7 with usb 3- but some of the stuff like  Wifi adapter  drivers for things that plugged in to usb yes . I had to very careful  about how  i uninstalled  somethings  or it would mess my Wifi adapter  drivers up  . I never had this problem  in  Linux  Mint 17.2/17.3 , or any newer  Linux distros i tired , Nether i had problems in  Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 ether. Because it works by default no need for these drivers  .

Intel had a lot of iterations before they worked out the early bugs in the Windows 7 USB3 driver.

That said, I like Windows 7. Why fix something that's not broken? (answer: it's for the $revenue) My biggest Windows 10 peeve, the crap-shoot updates and "privacy policy".

I read a post by someone who used to work at Microsoft complaining that MS is in fact a huge conglomeration of over 400 companies, each part doing their thing with little awareness of the other parts. That sounds about right.

Like Pete 12 said  . I used  a Intel box  with windows 7  everyday 24/7 for 2 years and never had to reformat i just kept all my drivers  updated . I  switched off XP  right before  Windows 7 sp1 came out   I was on XP 10 years . But now i been on Windows 8.1 a long time 1st  AMD  and now i switched  back to Intel and i never had to worry about  my drivers  only reason I updated them was because i wanted too. Now I use my AMD Box  for Linux only :)

my usb port seemed to work ok (they worked but i never look at which they worked) until i decide to upgrade the intel driver to some newer version.

i installed the driver manually (cuz iusb3mon.exe running has no point and made my mouse freeze at startup) and then the nightmare began. i was getting real slow read speed from my external hdd, which cause the drive having problem being seen by the computer. and after no matter which driver i would install manually (when i could cuz at time it would say there were no driver for my usb in the folder i was pointed at, which was wrong) or fully. the speed was normal with write but read was most of the time shit (that mean less than 1Mo/s). some curious things i notice when the driver were manually installed, the drive was seen as 2.10 usb on the usb 3 port but were in the end not as far than when usb3 drivers were fully installed and drive was plug into ordinary usb2 plug where of course it was seen as usb 2.10.

i gave up when after another uninstall/removing of the usb 3 driver, none of my usb port were working after reboot, which never happened before as they were at least working as usb 2. but not this time!

12 second, with a ssd drive i suppose, aint that a bit slow??? and since i have an ordinary hard drive, yes it's certainly slower than that, but still way faster than what i was getting with win 7. and thats all that matter (unless you're into dick contests)

For me:

- Absurdly unnecessary amount of data leaking to the internet. And while I have issue with this as it is, the fact that Microsoft is doing this through fucking unencrypted connections makes it even worse. Even if Microsoft doesn't abuse it, anyone positioning in between can which is just plain idiotic. Besides, why the fuck Microsoft needs to see what I actually type? Keyloggers to that and everyone hates them. But hey, if you place it in EULA, that makes it fine. Especially when you place user into position of no choice. People can say uh oh then don't use it. Really? So, you're giving me option between using OS where everyone can legally spy on you and OS which is old and outdated and people can do the same through exploits that will never get fixed. Wow, awesome choice.

- Retarded absolutely moronic forced driver updating and installing. No matter what the fuck you do, Windows 10 insists on updating and installing shit drivers from Microsoft. There are tons of guides that allegedly disable this shit and yet Catalyst and ForceWare keeps on getting installed by itself every fucking time I want to make a clean driver install by cleaning the drivers manually. It's so retarded I want to throw my system through a window. Fine, update motherboard modules and shit that doesn't matter what version you use, but for display drivers, we all know how much of a shit that is. Especially when one version is causing you problems with a specific game,y ou want to go to older driver just to enjoy that game in peace to the end and retarded Windows insists on installing it's own latest fucked up version.

- Forced Windows Updates. Like with drivers, ZERO selective option. With Windows 8.x if I spotted online that one update is causing problems, I could postpone it while selectively updating everything else. With Windows 10, you can either have none or all. There is no middle road. And while I've always updated my shit as soon as updates were available, I was able to have some control over when things get downloaded and installed. So it didn't interfere with my PC usage. Nope, can't have that, because some retard at Microsoft thought they know it better than users who were updating Windows for over 15 years. Yeah. Luckily, there is Windows Update MiniTool in existence which does that. It's not ideal since it's 3rd party app, but it does what Windows Update did prior to Windows 10.

Archived