Paypal starts banning vpn and smartdns services

jayesh30202

After cutting off file-hosting sites and Usenet providers, PayPal is now taking aim at VPN and SmartDNS services. The payment processor states that services which can be used to bypass measures to prevent copyright infringement, such as geo-blockades, are violating its terms of service.

PayPal is widely known for their aggressive stance towards BitTorrent sites, Usenet providers and file-hosting services, but VPN, proxy and SmartDNS providers might now suffer the same fate too.

This week PayPal stopped accepting payments for a company that provides VPN and SmartDNS tools, stating that these may facilitate copyright infringement.

So-called “unblocker” tools can be used to bypass geo-filtering blockades which Netflix and other video platforms have in place.

According to the message PayPal sent to UnoTelly and possibly others, these services are against the company’s policies because they help users to bypass copyright restrictions.

“Under the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy, PayPal may not be used to send or receive payments for items that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy, or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction,” PayPal’s email reads.

“This includes transactions for any device or technological measure that descrambles a scrambled work, decrypts an encrypted work or otherwise avoids, bypasses, removes, deactivates or impairs a technological measure without the authority of the copyright owner.”

PayPal informs the affected business(es) that their accounts have been permanently limited and that this decision can’t be appealed. This means that they have to switch to other payment processing providers.

UnoTelly informs TorrentFreak that the decision came as a shock, without any type of prior notice. The company is disappointed and sees the move as a direct attack on open and unrestricted Internet access.

“We are disappointed at PayPal’s unilateral action and the way it acted without prior warning. We provide both DNS resolution and secure VPN services. Our services are network relays that connect people around the world,” UnoTelly’s Nicholas Lin says.

Under PayPal’s policy every VPN and SmartDNS service is at risk of losing its PayPal account. However, it seems likely that the company will mainly take action against companies that market themselves as an “unblocker” service.

UnoTelly, for example, specifically mentions its ability to bypass geo-blocks imposed by streaming sites such as Netflix and Hulu.

PayPal’s actions are not an isolated incident. They come a few weeks after Netflix started to increase its crackdown on VPN services and other unblockers, as requested by copyright holders. It would be no surprise if copyright holders are also behind PayPal’s recent move.

PayPal’s email:

paypal.email-vpndns.png

source

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paypal has always been my LAST option. This has made it ... what comes after last ?

;)

I think this was the whole reason many strated taking bitcoin  MasterCard , Visa and CashU ban buying vpns before it should be expected  PayPal would do it sooner or latter because there known for this sort of thing  and its not a anonymous way to pay no ways and its against there  tos to buy anything using a vpn  even though it's a vpn i never heard of many say    :P 

Bitcoin Is A Perfect Payment Soluton For VPN Providers

There are plenty of reasons as to why using traditional financial systems are not working properly in this day and age. One of the reasons is how these centralized authorities can take action affecting various users, without asking for their consent. PayPal is one of those authorities, as they started banning SmartDNS and VPN services, locking customers out of their accounts. In Paypal’s defense, such tools are against the company’s terms of service.

One of the main reasons why people use services such as a VPN or SmartDNS is because they want to bypass certain geological restrictions. In most cases, this is done simply to access a particular website or video that is only available to a particular country or region. But when it comes to financial matters, things are quite different.

By using SmartDNS or VPN services, users can access PayPal services even if they are not available in their own country.  This is against the company’s terms of service and allows PayPal to ban users from doing so. No drastic measures had been taken up until this point, but it looks like the company’s stance has shifted.

While it is not the first time PayPal has shown a rather aggressive stance towards service providers that can be connected to illegal activities, this decision comes as a surprise to many people. Earlier this week,  PayPal stopped accepting payments for a company providing SmartDNS and VPN services, on the base, this business model could facilitate copyright infringement in the long run.

At the same time, this creates an awkward predicament. PayPal has so much power over people’s funds they can just decide on a whim to stop processing payments to certain companies or individuals, even if their services are completely legit. This can lead to a lot of frustration for business owners and consumers alike.  

All of the businesses affected by this decision will have their PayPal account limited instantly, making it impossible to move funds out of their account. Furthermore, this decision cannot be appealed by anyone affected by this move by PayPal, and there is no way to remove the limitation by any means. The only option left for the service provider sis to resort to alternative payment options.

Bitcoin Is A More Than Viable Alternative

It goes without saying that, when it comes to accepting payments from international customers, Bitcoin is the obvious answer. What makes this modern digital currency so unique, is how Bitcoin cannot be controlled by a central authority. There is no company to limit Bitcoin payments moving to and from an individual company by any means.

Furthermore, Bitcoin is the only global payment method in existence today. Unlike solutions such as PayPal, users will need access to existing financial services. Bitcoin creates a different economic infrastructure that is open to everyone in the world. VPN and SmartDNS providers should take the time to look into accepting Bitcoin payments, as companies such as PayPal exert far too much control over other people’s money.

http://themerkle.com/uncategorized/bitcoin-is-a-perfect-payment-soluton-for-vpn-providers/

I can tell  you why PayPal  ban Unotelly... Netflix raised  a stink  about  them in the press and most likey told them to stop taking payments.

Netflix says it will shut down Unotelly-style geo-scrambling services in “weeks”

http://www.htxt.co.za/2016/01/14/netflix-says-it-will-shut-down-unotelly-style-services-in-weeks/

Unotelly advertised  too much its main purpose was  meant to unblock netfilx and other geo blocked streaming sites ...but i look for it to happen to others if they dont remove such advertisements.

5mROGhN.png

It's only to cut the hands of those living in sanctioned countries off its services, no other reasons.

anyway, this is pretty useless, they can just blacklist popular VPNs/proxies.

Go with WebMoney. Dollar will lose its share in financial systems soon

27 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

Go with WebMoney

Only you can use what  you're vpn provider  has that's sort of like bitcoin my vpn provider has but not all do but they dont have webmoney . :)

Now that Unotelly dont have PayPal they only take credit cards it dont seem to very good and its 8bucks  a mth for the best plain many cheaper ones with better payment methods with as many ips .

16 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Only you can use what  you're vpn provider  has that's sort of like bitcoin my vpn provider has but not all do but they dont have webmoney . :)

You're saying that VPN providers block Paypal instead of Paypal blocking them?

5 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

You're saying that VPN providers block Paypal instead of Paypal blocking them?

What are you talking about ? I never said this ...Every VPN  has its own set of payment methods they accept . If you're happy with you're provider you have to use what they offer .

1 minute ago, steven36 said:

What are talking about ? I never said this ...Every VPN  has its own set of payment methods they accept . If you're happy with you're provider you have to use what they offer .

Ah you're talking about payment methods of VPNs..alright well yeah it's all different from one another, but I don't really think Paypal's goal is to prevent people from paying money to VPN providers

11 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

Ah you're talking about payment methods of VPNs..alright well yeah it's all different from one another, but I don't really think Paypal's goal is to prevent people from paying money to VPN providers

They ban most every filehost's paypal since 2012 for promoting  piracy before this happened  filehost were more popular than p2p even .  They ban torrents sites paypal too. If a vpn promotes netfilx piracy like the one above they are going to  ban them too. Paypal  gets more money from netfilx  than they do vpns lol.  Just like they make more money from them selling movies than from filehost and using it for piracy  is against there tos.

15 minutes ago, steven36 said:

They ban most every filehost's paypal since 2012 for promoting  piracy before this happened  filehost were more popular than p2p even .  They ban torrents sites paypal too. If a vpn promotes netfilx piracy like the one above they are going to  ban them too. Paypal  gets more money from netfilx  than they do vpns lol.  Just like they make more money from them selling movies than from filehost and using it for piracy  is against there tos.

Yeah that's about who pays the most, their servers also have strict rules for those accessing the site through VPNs and proxies, that's what i was talking about

7 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

Yeah that's about who pays the most, their servers also have strict rules for those accessing the site through VPNs and proxies

That's just whack a mole though my vpn has like a 100 US ips  I'm sure many are working  for it and others but Unotelly VPN  was promoting you could get 10 different  countries Netflix no matter were you live :P

Just now, steven36 said:

Thats just whack a mole though my vpn has like 100 us ips  im sure many are working  for it and others but Unotelly VPN  was promoting you could get 10 different  countries Netflix no matter were you live :P

Lol yeah

Netflix? with a Rarbg.to and seedr.cc you don't need a Netflix. :tehe:

6 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

Lol yeah

Netflix? with a Rarbg.to and seedr.cc you don't need a Netflix. :tehe:

Yes but in many parts of the world you need a vpn are they will sue you, are try to turn you're net off , are block you from accessing  sites... Its not really safe most places anymore .

its legal to use netfilx as long as you use the one for you're country .

3 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Yes but it many parts of the world you need a vpn are they will sue you are try too turn you're net off are block you from accessing  sites. Its not really safe most places anymore .

You're that's true

1 minute ago, saeed_dc said:

You're that's true

Torrent Freak  has File Sharing confused with buying a streaming  service .. When you buy something thats not sharing  that's buying   . :P

3 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Torrent Freak  has File Sharing confused with buying a streaming  service .. When you buy something thats not sharing  that's buying   . :P

Exactly, but the question is, are people paying them?

2 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

Exactly, but the question is, are people paying them?

Yes they pay them  even many pirates  buy netfilx but with them banning vpn's  ips there likey to lose some costumers   .. Netfilx  is worth $1.72 billion US

4 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Yes they pay them  even many pirates  buy netfilx but with them banning vpn's  ips there likey to lose some costumers   .. Netfilx  is worth $1.72 billion US

Why people pay Torrent freak while there are many free alternatives to it?

6 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

Why people pay Torrent freak while there are many free alternatives to it?

TF ?  no one pays them but ad companies  and  vpn  and Bit Torrent  clients  i'm talking about lots buy Netfilx  . TF is just a news site about file-sharing  that  dont always have there facts right  and post some off topic news that a real pirate  dont care about lol.

10 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

It's only to cut the hands of those living in sanctioned countries off its services, no other reasons.

anyway, this is pretty useless, they can just blacklist popular VPNs/proxies.

Go with WebMoney. Dollar will lose its share in financial systems soon

And can i ask how you came to that conclusion..It affects everybody including us who are now third world in our own country..

PayPal Continues To Drive People To Bitcoin And Other Solutions As It Starts Cutting Off VPNs & Open Internet Solutions

15 hours ago, steven36 said:

TF ?  no one pays them but ad companies  and  vpn  and Bit Torrent  clients  i'm talking about lots buy Netfilx  . TF is just a news site about file-sharing  that  dont always have there facts right  and post some off topic news that a real pirate  dont care about lol.

Yeah really...TF?

7 hours ago, F3dupsk1Nup said:

And can i ask how you came to that conclusion..It affects everybody including us who are now third world in our own country..

PayPal Continues To Drive People To Bitcoin And Other Solutions As It Starts Cutting Off VPNs & Open Internet Solutions

First tell me how you concluded that you're third world in your country..

Archived