Future Snowden hunt starts with audit of NSA spooks' privileges

steven36

The National Security Agency (NSA) has decided it really needs to catch the next Edward Snowden before he turns whistleblower/traitor (strike one according to your political orientation).

ogeEddi.jpg

According to this memo (PDF) from Carol Gorman, an assistant inspector general in the Department of Defense's Readiness and Cyber Operations, an audit is going to ask whether too many individuals have privileged access to NSA computers.

In the memo, Gorman says the audit begins this month, to check whether the NSA's initiatives since Snowden “are effective to improve security over its systems, data, and personnel activities”.

Gorman wants to know whether the NSA's procedures and technical controls would prevent a repeat of the disclosures, whether they limit privileged access to systems, and whether the agency is able to monitor privileged user actions for “unauthorised or inappropriate activity”.

As well as NSA offices and locations, Gorman flags that the audit “may identify additional locations”, presumably putting the NSA's external contractors on notice.

Nextgov notes that since 2013, the agency has implemented a two-person policy mandating that nobody can read or move sensitive information without someone else present. It's also added a digital audit trail to data entering its systems, identifying where it came from and who is authorised to view it.

The full instructions for the audit are in a classified annexe to this year's Intelligence Authorisation Act.

Source

• Replies 48
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not about catching the next edward snowden as edward snowden isnt the first whistleblower (thats like saying we have to work on not getting caught breaking the law again like criminals are doing) REALLY.  Its about what fletcher from liar liar said to the guy breaking the law from knocking over a atm again fletcher yells at the phone at the criminal STOP BREAKING THE LAW *SSHOLE.  How about you stop invading our DARN PRIVACY your MALWARE and EAVESDROPPING on us didnt stop the paris attacks from happening so much for avoiding we are eavesdropping to avoid the finding a needle in a haystack situation what I have to say to the nsa only this *FACEPALM*.

The NSA  had/has laws of the USA that protect  them .regardless  if you like them are not . No one said  Snowden was the 1st whistle blower  but hes hiding in Russia because of what  he did . The NSA  are trying to weed out any mole out there organization and have right and power to do so. 

There's records of  whistle blowers that  date back all the way 1515-52 even.   And Snowden was not the 1st to expose  the NSA it happened  before 

1.1971 Perry Fellwock

Former NSA analyst who revealed the existence of the NSA and its worldwide covert surveillance network in Ramparts magazine in 1971.[15] At the time, the NSA was an ultra secretive scarcely known organization. Because of the Fellwock revelations, the U.S. Senate Church Committee introduced successful legislation to stop NSA spying on American citizens. Fellwock was motivated by Daniel Ellsberg's release of the Pentagon Papers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Fellwock

2. 2002 William Binney
J. Kirke Wiebe
Edward Loomis

NSA officials initially joined House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence staffer Diane Roark in asking U.S. Department of Defense inspector general to investigate wasteful spending on the Trailblazer Project and the NSA officials eventually went public when they were ignored and retaliated upon. They claim that Thinthread was more focused thus more effective and lower cost than Trailblazer and subsequent programs, which automatically collected trillions of domestic communications of Americans in deliberate violation of the U.S. Constitution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Binney_(U.S._intelligence_official)

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=J._Kirke_Wiebe&action=edit&redlink=1

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Edward_Loomis&action=edit&redlink=1

3. 2005-2011 

Thomas Andrews Drake

Thomas Drake worked at the NSA in various analyst and management positions. He blew the whistle on the NSA's Trailblazer project that he felt was a violation of the Fourth Amendment and other laws and regulations. He contacted The Baltimore Sun which published articles about waste, fraud, and abuse at the NSA, including stories about Trailblazer. In April 2010, Drake was indicted by a grand jury on various charges, including obstructing justice and making false statements. After the May 22, 2011 broadcast of a 60 Minutes episode on the Drake case, the government dropped all of the charges against Drake and agreed not to seek any jail time in return for Drake's agreement to plead guilty to a misdemeanor of misusing the agency’s computer system. Drake was sentenced to one year of probation and community service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Andrews_Drake

4. 2013. Edward Snowden

Booz Allen Hamilton contractor Snowden released classified material on top-secret NSA programs including the PRISM surveillance program to The Guardian and The Washington Post in June 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Snowden

Snowden  was  the 6th person to rat  on the NSA   . You think what he  done  will  have any impact in the long tream ? It never  has before  there hired  by the USA government after all  and there's  nothing anyone can do too stop them.

What showden did has made a BIG impact everybody knows the truth now past whistleblowers didnt expose the new nsa crap like the new malware prism etc etc etc.  As for all that I know heard of it on the news and read about all those whistleblowers.  Fact is we need to stop it or we might as well rewrite the constitution.  For your information edward snowden is a hero not a traitor nothing you say is going to change that or my mind about that hes a hero.

NSA should hire people who are mentally calm and unambitious and never have cheated anyone (gf/bf) in their life before joining the agency and watch their mental state 24/7 after employing them 

The only thing is we have the internet  and it brought  it to everyday citizens attention . But  its had world wide attention before  and people just forget  after awhile . Once the internet becomes so relegated by the governments  people  will go back to doing what they were doing before there was a internet .it  will mostly only be used for business .The Government looks at the internet as sort of like the wild west and in the end they won . Anything  that's open airways can be regulated by the governments .Its just a phase  that will become unpopular once the Governments of the world control it .

21 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

NSA should hire people who are mentally calm and unambitious and never have cheated anyone (gf/bf) in their life before joining the agency and watch their mental state 24/7 after employing them 

IOW, hire someone 100% honest to cheat on the people of the USA, breaking their Constitution ?

Maybe if they outsourced it to some other country ? Yes, that would work.

;)

7 minutes ago, Pequi said:

IOW, hire someone 100% honest to cheat on the people of the USA, breaking their Constitution ?

Maybe if they outsourced it to some other country ? Yes, that would work.

;)

If NSA  was to be outsourced by some other country .You would still be controlled by some other Nation state spies that out sourced them . Espionage dates back to the 13th and 14th centuries  it will always exist . Only the names change but it  will never go away.

Prism and the new malware didnt have world wide attention before and in the end they havent won there winning havent won won means they did something and thats the end of it.  Its not the end of it there proceeding and now there saying we have to figure out a way not to get caught breaking the law again.  I think everyone and there mom knows espionage has been around a long time the difference is espionage changed because technology helped it change.    We got new technology and it fell in the wrong hands technically nsa isnt the only wrong hands our government is the wrong hands to.  If you read the news about north korea they hada hydrogen thermonuclear bomb test.  My point is bombs are a technology and those bombs that north korea supposedly have are in north koreas hands and those are the wrong hands to.  I dont want to talk about north korea its just going to piss me off again.  We should audit nsas privilages and if we havent yet we need to do it this year not next.

Before the internet  there was no need for the NSA  to invent Prism  . Witch Snowden's revelations did not stop by the way  its still a active program just now were aware  of but still  there's like  a billion that uses known prism  sites  worldwide . :P

The only thing that changed  was the patriot  act ended and now its been replaced with new spying laws.

The only drawback to edward snowdens actions are that terrorists might have gotten information they shouldnt have if they change there actions we can change ours there going to be released if they havent done so a prism two.  All the nsa has to do is change the way they were doing sh*t and they have done that Im sure just this time change it and make it better eavvesdrop on the terrorists and not on the united states citizens.  I know the program is active they didnt shut it down dont need to just rework it.  Like malware developers do with malware that white hat hackers spot they rework there code and make a new variant.  The nsa didnt need prism before the internet and connecting to the internet is not the only way you can spy on people.  Hell morse code could have been used to spy on people and it was used that way.  The new act that just passed cisa i honestly am excited about that being destroyed hope for the best expect the worst.  I dont really like talking about the nsa spying its annoying unfortunately the reason there not going to stop is the same reason why they havent been prosecuted for doing what they have done so far they have a get out of jail free card those F*CKERS.

10 minutes ago, steven36 said:

If NSA  was to be outsourced by some other country .You would still be controlled by some other Nation state spies that out sourced them . Espionage dates back to the 13th and 14th centuries  it will always exist . Only the names change but it  will never go away.

I think you missed the smiley.

If I was recruiting someone to illegally spy on the people of his own country the last person I would look for would be an honest one.

I'd look for someone that loved money above everything else.

Snowden's morals and love for his country were obviously stronger than his desire to get rich.

That is why he is a hero pequi that is why he is not a traitor hes a hero.

25 minutes ago, Pequi said:

I think you missed the smiley.

If I was recruiting someone to illegally spy on the people of his own country the last person I would look for would be an honest one.

I'd look for someone that loved money above everything else.

Snowden's morals and love for his country were obviously stronger than his desire to get rich.

NSA's phone spying program was not ruled illegal by appeals court tell May 2015 before it was not illegal  under the patriot act . Now that it ended they just do it a different  way and now its legal .

Under these  new laws  The US  Government  just had a meeting with Silicon Valley about giving the Government access to  encrypted info  . This is far worse than Prism  and there not hiding it ether because its all legal.

http://time.com/4172866/white-house-silicon-valley-encryption/

Nearly every Republican presidential candidate has sided with the NSA and the FBI, although most were vague about how they would go about forcing tech firms to cooperate.

If  a Republican gets in it will just be like 2001 to 2009, before we had all this encryption were the NSA can do  what they please .

6 minutes ago, steven36 said:

NSA's phone spying program was not ruled illegal by appeals court tell May 2015 before it was not illegal  under the patriot act . Now that it ended they just do it a different  way and now its legal .

Under these  new laws  The US  Government  just had a meeting with Silicon Valley about giving the Government access to  encrypted info  . This far worse than Prism  and there not hiding it its all legal.

http://time.com/4172866/white-house-silicon-valley-encryption/

The Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution is quite clear. Judges can be bought/blackmailed/threatened but no ruling can substitute the Constitution. Not in a democracy.

In a plutocracy or a dictatorship, anything is valid. Even something as terrible as the "Patriot" act.

48 minutes ago, Pequi said:

The Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution is quite clear. Judges can be bought/blackmailed/threatened but no ruling can substitute the Constitution. Not in a democracy.

In a plutocracy or a dictatorship, anything is valid. Even something as terrible as the "Patriot" act.

911 the reason for the patriot act was a act of war  Habeas corpus can be waived  and the US government could even impose martial law.  They have before . A lot things changed in the USA  after 911 I remember it well.

On 29 September 2006, the U.S. House and Senate approved the Military Commissions Act of 2006, a bill which suspended habeas corpus for any alien determined to be an "unlawful enemy combatant engaged in hostilities or having supported hostilities against the United States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habeas_corpus_in_the_United_States

WHAT IS THE CONSTITUTION'S ROLE IN WARTIME?:
Why Free Speech And Other Rights Are Not As Safe As You Might Think

In any event, it is naïve to believe that the Supreme Court will invalidate any government action that receives both congressional and presidential imprimatur as necessary and proper to protect Americans against the terrorist threat. If our liberties are to be protected, it is up to us to protect them.

Full article here

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/commentary/20011017_levinson.html

Some people from the USA  act like they rather be attacked  than protected in the end the Government can just wave there rights . Even  President Abraham Lincoln waved our Constitutional rights before to stop slavery .

2 hours ago, Holmes said:

That is why he is a hero pequi that is why he is not a traitor hes a hero.

A hero isn't nothing but a sandwich .  What if this new freedom act  in light of snowden causes something bad to happen because  old laws are gone that protected us from attacks  since post 911 .  The worse attack since 911 came  with this freedom act ,  2015 San Bernardino attack.  Hello ?

A hero is nothing but a sandwich try that in english again please.  Hes a hero based on what hes showed americans when it goes to what the nsa has done now there are people and IT pros making programs to thwart nsa eavesdropping your version of hero obviously differs from the real version of hero.  We are at war is what gabriel said to stanley in the movie swordfish stanley says who are we at war with gabriel says anyone that infringes on america's freedom I wish we had a gabriel the nsa infringes on america's freedom freedom of choice freedom of privacy edward snowden actions were his way of helping contribute towards getting our freedoms back we are now alert and aware of what the nsa has done and have a pretty good idea of what there going to do next.

14 minutes ago, Holmes said:

A hero is nothing but a sandwich try that in english again please.  Hes a hero based on what hes showed americans when it goes to what the nsa has done now there are people and IT pros making programs to thwart nsa eavesdropping your version of hero obviously differs from the real version of hero.

This is why you're not in charge , you consider acts of treason   that puts peoples security at risk to be heroic . I dont as i care about  the well being of my country . The NSA  had been watching the internet  since 2001 and  you people only figured  it out in 2013 and i knew it all along . A hero is nothing but a sandwich  . you dont even know  what a  hero  sandwich is ether ? :P

Do you work for the nsa no I dont think you do and you didnt know any of nsa revelations before the whistlerblower leaked them only government officials did.  Im not in charge because Im not a leader per se If someone wanted to put me in charge I would elect and nominate someone I knew to be in charge.  Edward snowden didnt really put peoples lives at risk as the lives are at risk because of what you are talking about were at risk before hand.  I dont consider acts of treason heroic just that act of treason that edward snowden is guilty of as heroic plenty of people like me agree that the president should pardon him and I care very much about the well being of my country  and nothing is ever going to change that.  A hero is a large sandwich it another name for a large sandwich can be called a hero edward snowden is not a large sandwich like I said before your version of a hero obviously differs big time from a actual hero.  That last comment sounded narcissistic dont doesnt suit you at all.

12 minutes ago, Holmes said:

Do you work for the nsa no I dont think you do and you didnt know any of nsa revelations before the whistlerblower leaked them only government officials did.  Im not in charge because Im not a leader per se If someone wanted to put me in charge I would elect and nominate someone I knew to be in charge.  Edward snowden didnt really put peoples lives at risk as the lives are at risk because of what you are talking about were at risk before hand.  I dont consider acts of treason heroic just that act of treason that edward snowden is guilty of as heroic plenty of people like me agree that the president should pardon him and I care very much about the well being of my country  and nothing is ever going to change that.

You didn't have to work for the NSA to know  that social media was fully cooperating with law enforcement. Before all this encryption is was much easier  for them to catch terrorist  this why they want social media to give them the encrypted info in 2016 .

You had to work for the nsa to know about the revelations edward snowden leaked before he leaked them and I never said anything about law enforcement the nsa is as guilty of treasoin as edward snowden is infringing on america's freedom of choice and privacy nsa didnt write the constitution they didnt have a very difficult time violating it.

15 minutes ago, Holmes said:

You had to work for the nsa to know about the revelations edward snowden leaked before he leaked them and I never said anything about law enforcement the nsa is as guilty of treasoin as edward snowden is infringing on america's freedom of choice and privacy nsa didnt write the constitution they didnt have a very difficult time violating it.

This came out 2 years  before snowden  leaks

http://www.projectcensored.org/2-us-military-manipulates-the-social-media/

And they had been watching social media since 2001 and we were aware of everyone knew this . It was nothing to see agents in real life staking  out some place after 911 .

full story  Revealed: US spy operation that manipulates social media

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2011/mar/17/us-spy-operation-social-networks

That link and the link in it no mention of the nsa or national security agency mentions US central command.  It mentions the us military was developing software not the nsa or the national security agency.

9 minutes ago, Holmes said:

That link and the link in it no mention of the nsa or national security agency mentions US central command.

Back in the day we didn't. know who they was  all we knew was they were federal officers  anywhere  there was social media . they had everywhere covered were they thought there was terrorist activity.

In 2006 they waved Habeas corpus  for non citizens so they could detain them with out a  trial even. It took  a whistle blower to wake up you sleepers up after  the sleeping giant had been awake for 11 years to grasp  reality .

Archived