vissha

India Says Goodbye To GPS, To Have Its Own Desi Navigation System, IRNSS

IRNS-695x336.gif?5a03f7

Bye bye GPS, India to soon have its own position determination system

The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is developing an indigenous position determination system that will replace the American Global Positioning System (GPS) used to get the time and place information anywhere on or near the earth and will also have enhanced access in remote areas.

“We will have our own position determination system using our own navigation constellation, the IRNSS series which will be operational by middle of next year. It is a kind of replacement GPS…The US is offering the GPS navigation, IRNSS is indigenous,” said Deviprasad Karnik, the director of publication and public relations, ISRO.

It will also aid in navigation and monitoring of fleet (trucks and ships) movement, the official added.

Developed by ISRO, Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) is a regional navigation satellite that would provide accurate position information to users in the country, and will be under complete control of the Indian government.

“Once the constellation is completed, we need some time to establish the accuracy part, validation and other things. The advantage is that the navigation range has been designed to span around 1,500 km radius around India,” he said.

“GPS is not available at all places. Signal is weak in remote areas but our own signal will be available in remote areas with better accuracy.”

As an example of the app-based positioning service, Karnik said, it will help in effective management of fleet movement.

“Monitoring and effective management of fleet of trucks or ship monitoring will be done through spacecraft. For example, for ships the system can inform which route will be more effective. That will save time and fuel,” he said.

IRNSS.jpg?5a03f7

IRNSS is needed because the foreign government-controlled global navigation satellite system does not guarantee service in all situations.

The two types of services provided by IRNSS are as follows:

• Standard Positioning Service (SPS) – This will be provided to all users
  • Restricted Service (RS) – This is an encrypted service that will be provided to authorised users only.(Including the military)

The applications of IRNSS include disaster management, vehicle tracking and fleet management, integration with mobile phones, terrestrial navigation aid for travellers, visual and voice navigation for drivers, and more.

With this system, the ISRO will provide GPS connectivity to most of the rural part in India by 2016. For this mission, ISRO will be using seven satellites namely IRNSS-1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, 1F and 1G out of which IRNSS-1A, 1B, 1C, 1D are already in the Orbit. The remaining three satellites including 1E, 1F and 1G will be launched in January, February and March respectively.

Meanwhile, the ISRO organization is hoping to get the IRNSS fully operationable by next year July. Moreover, the ISRO is requesting the device manufacturer’s to incorporate the additional hardware, so that the device can receive the signals from IRNSS.

As per the official, the so-called IRNSS will provide location accurately to almost 20 meters. This data from IRNSS can be used in all the devices, which supports the additional hardware.

“Both these L and S band signals received from seven satellite constellation of the IRNSS are being calculated by special embedded software which reduces the errors caused by atmospheric disturbances significantly. This in turn gives superior quality location accuracy than the American GPS system”, said a senior ISRO official in an interview.

ISRO also aims to make signals available not only to India and surrounding countries but also to the entire globe, said ISRO Chairman Kiran Kumar. “As we make it global, global users will be able to take advantage. Otherwise, now only regional users can take advantage of IRNSS”, he added.

Source-1

Source-2

Source-3

• Replies 50
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is nothing wrong with GPS I have two one on my phone powered by google called google maps and a TomTom which is really good if I have to leave my county and go somewhere where Im new to I usually put the address in my phone gps and everything is fine.  I wouldnt mind getting a newer gpd to sometimes I lose my signal cloudy skies and satellite problems.

21 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Sheer waste of public funds. A5qMhta.gif

Spoiler

It is not just India. Wasting public funds and taxes is happening in most countries incl. USA, UK, Germany, Australia, Korea[N & S] ....

No one can end this until the world is out of surveillance.

Just now, vissha said:

It is not just India. Wasting public funds and taxes is happening in most countries incl. USA, UK, Germany, Australia, Korea[N & S] ....

No one can end this until the world is out of surveillance.

You mean . . . . . . . India is justified in committing the cardinal sin of wasting their public funds, just because most countries including USA, UK, Germany, Australia, Korea [N & S] have done so?

7 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

You mean . . . . . . . India is justified in committing the cardinal sin of wasting their public funds, just because most countries including USA, UK, Germany, Australia, Korea [N & S] have done so? yXZVmpE.gif

Spoiler

Yes, being near to India, we are sure of what is happening there. The political corruption level is too high.

Just now, vissha said:

Yes, being near to India, we are sure of what is happening there.

What seems to be happening "there" of which you are so sure?

15 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

What seems to be happening "there" of which you are so sure?

Spoiler

Please enable PM. We'll talk about it there. Indian Govt/politicians doesn't like their reputation spoiled via Internet. They are very keen in that criteria for the last few years.

47 minutes ago, Holmes said:

There is nothing wrong with GPS I have two one on my phone powered by google called google maps and a TomTom which is really good if I have to leave my county and go somewhere where Im new to I usually put the address in my phone gps and everything is fine.  I wouldnt mind getting a newer gpd to sometimes I lose my signal cloudy skies and satellite problems.

32 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Don't you really know that all these different navigational systems are only made for one purpose? to navigate ICBMs to any desired destination, in case of any possible Word War. because once WW III reaches its fullest state, U.S blocks other countries from using its GPS, Russia blocks other countries from using its GLONASS and China blocks other countries from using its Beidou (a.k.a BDS). still thinking all these different navigational systems are made for better accuracy? heh...

3 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

Don't you really know <snip>

Last century, ISRO was kind enough to build a big rock for me and my family to live and we have been hiding under it for the last few decades — so no . . . . . I don't know.

23 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Last century, ISRO was kind enough to build a big rock for me and my family to live and we have been hiding under it for the last few decades — so no . . . . . I don't know.

Yeah so just wanted to say that it's not sheer waste of public funds, possibly military budget ;)

Just now, saeed_dc said:

Yeah so just wanted to say that it's not sheer waste of public funds, possibly military budget ;)

Right, those funds just grew outta trees and happened to just drop down right into one set of pockets — the ones that belonged to the ISRO.

10 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Right, those funds just grew outta trees and happened to just drop down right into one set of pockets — the ones that belonged to the ISRO.

11899771_942935769104321_1764194291155394313_n.jpg

11 hours ago, dcs18 said:

As in, why reinvent the wheel!?!  There are occasionally places here in US that GPS doesn't work either - that doesn't mean it's worth the $$ to fix every inch of the country.  Surely a place 800 million toilets short of what's needed has other priorities, but hey, what do I know?

12 hours ago, dcs18 said:

No way its not waste its investment on starategic fronts...you can not rely on different nation to provide you navigation at times of crisis..

Just now, kingviking said:

No way its not waste its investment on starategic fronts...you can not rely on different nation to provide you navigation at times of crisis..

What strategic front are you referring to?

6 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

What strategic front are you referring to?

strategic front= independence in navigation ......imagine India at war with a USA ally and India's warships , jets  using US based GPS navigation System ..

US can stop access to its GPS system Whenever it wants , and is having full access to all system using its GPS ...

thats a Huge reliability so it demands India's Own Navigation Sytem IRNSS

so that's how it is. you launch 3 satellites and suddenly you have your very own version of what everyone have been using for decades. bravo! it's not a strategic advantage, it's just more clutter in the GSO orbit. once the satellite is up there it doesn't belong to any one country or company. it belongs to whoever has physical access to it. do you? no? then your sat can be taken down any minute.. "oops it got hit by a tiny piece of debris". there goes your multimillion investment.

1 minute ago, kingviking said:

strategic front= independence in navigation

I know what it means — everybody does (I am not asking for definitions.)

1 minute ago, kingviking said:

imagine India at war with a USA

What is that compelling reason to imagine?

9 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

I know what it means — everybody does (I am not asking for definitions.)

What is that compelling reason to imagine?

Its like you using your friends Computer to do all your task....Independence is always good freind ..

In international relations  NO country is Your freind for ever Nor your Enemy for Forever..Circumstances changes relation changes ...

Imagine= india at war with Pakistan ..US being Pakistan ally supplying it weaponary+ india's crucial navigation information....

Dont forget PRISM(snowden case) Spying is their Habit ...

So India Got Self reliant Thats the big DEAL BRO:-0

2 minutes ago, kingviking said:

Thats the big DEAL BRO:-0

Is an amenity like GPS that is already available to India such a priority or does the upliftment of the poor deserve to stagnate in the back-burners?

Are you aware how many folks lost their lives in the recent Chennai floods — or, how many found themselves homeless & destitute?

Are you even aware of who is going to pay from their empty pockets for this luxury known as GPS — get real?

Just now, dcs18 said:

Is an amenity like GPS that is already available to India such a priority or does the upliftment of the poor deserve to stagnate in the back-burners?

Are you aware how many folks lost their lives in the recent Chennai floods — or, how many found themselves homeless & destitute?

Are you even aware of who is going to pay from their empty pockets for this luxury known as GPS — get real?

Now YOU are geting real.. YES India Is doing WORSE in terms of human development But INDIA is also having ..army navy..airforce..railways and every other crucial infrastructure and its needed ..So does investing in Space technology is needed...all these investment are not bullshit they do help in human development..

http://www.isro.gov.in/applications    

Just now, kingviking said:

Now YOU are geting real.. YES India Is doing WORSE in terms of human development But INDIA is also having ..army navy..airforce..railways and every other crucial infrastructure and its needed ..So does investing in Space technology is needed...all these investment are not bullshit they do help in human development..

http://www.isro.gov.in/applications    

Right, GPS is not a crucial requirement in the current state of affairs since it is already available — to me it is bullshit at this point in time as it contributes nothing to human development.

Archived