11 Features and improvements we would like to see come to Microsoft's Edge browser

Batu69

microsoft-edge-surface-lede.jpg?itok=tvA

Microsoft Edge is the new default web browser for Windows 10, and it's the browser that finally replaces Internet Explorer. This despite the fact IE continues to ship as part of the operating system for the time being to offer compatibility for websites not designed for the modern web.

Previously known as "Project Spartan," Microsoft created the new browser from scratch to redefine the way users access and consume content from the web on Windows. The new browser ships with a minimalist design that primarily focus on fading away intrusive elements and puts the content front and center.

Thus far the web browser works well, for the most part, during the first weeks since Microsoft had released Windows 10 to everyone. There have been some hiccups, but the software giant has been proactively working to improve the experience.

Microsoft also recently released its first major update for Windows 10 that not only brought various changes to the operating system, but it also delivered some improvements to Microsoft Edge. The software maker has previously revealed that the latest version of the web browser incorporates an improved version of its EdgeHTML rendering engine that helps to increase performance. Chakra and the JavaScript engine have also received various new features and changes, and there are new enhancements on security for Windows 10 version 1511.

In addition, the November update brings a few useful new features including "Cast media to device" to enable users cast content to any DLNA or Miracast compatible device. There is also the "Tab Preview" feature to help users hover over open tabs to get a preview of a particular page, and finally there is the ability to sync passwords, bookmarks, and Reading List items across devices with a Microsoft account.

As you can see a lot has changed since the first release of the Microsoft Edge, but it's also true that the web browser it's still in the early days, and there is a lot of room for improvements. As such, today I would like to share a few improvements and features we would like to see in future updates of the browser.

1. Sync open tabs across devices

sync-content-windows-10-edge.jpg?itok=SA

When the software maker first released Microsoft Edge one of the missing features was the ability to sync content across devices. On Windows 10 version 1511, the Edge browser now includes the feature to sync content, but users still can't sync open tabs across Windows devices, which can be useful not only to pick up where you left off on another computer but on Windows phone too.

2. Closed tab history

recently-close-tab-chrome-edge.jpg?itok=

Yes, you can right-click on a tab and click the "Reopen closed tab" as many times as the number of tabs you have closed to go back to those pages. However, it's not practical. If you work with a lot of open tabs, then you close them all by accident, and you only want to reopen one specific web page, you have to go through the process of keeping reopening tabs until you get to the page you want.

Also, let's say you have two instances of Microsoft Edge with various tabs open on each, and you close one of the instances. There isn't a way to restore that specific groups of tabs.

If recently closed tabs history were yet another feature, it would be nice to have the ability to sync this content, so you can even reopen previously closed tabs on other computers.

3. Microsoft Edge taskbar menu options

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Closed tabs history and extensions support is what I really want. A better way to save browing and search history unless edge has this now. In firefox I look at my history all the time and dont clear my browsing and search history when I clear cache I like being able to look at what I searched for last week on monday at nine am or pm and what words I used to search for the specified search result.

"..what I searched for last week on monday at nine am or pm and what words I used to search for the specified search result.."

Why on earth would anyone ever want to do that ?

Archived