Easily inject Drivers & Updates to any image (*.wim) using DISM GUI

Jordan

Easily add drivers and updates to images (*.wim) with DISM GUI

This tutorial was originaly created by Gandalf for injecting drivers and updates into his PE. But it's applicaple to any image .wim.That's why i decided to post it here so that all users can benefit from it, especially those who can't deal with DISM and command line.i have posted this tutorial in the Gandalf's PE thread sometimes ago, but i think doing so here is more convenient.

oKzJ4hP.png

One of the greatest advantages to using Microsoft for Imaging is the ability to perform offline image patching and keep images up to date rather than rebuilding your base image every time a major update or service pack is released. Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is the command line used to carry out these functions. If beginners are more accustomed to other tools like Ghost Explorer or ZMG Explorer, then GUI DISM will make you feel right at home.

7376484.png

Updating an Image

Create a folder for use as a mount point and then launch GUI DISM. Select the image file you wish to update under the Wim File heading and the folder you created under the Mount Location Heading. Then click Mount WIM. You should recieve a success message in the DISM Output pane.
Select the Drive Management Tab to the right of the default tab (Mount Control.) To add drivers to your image they must be extracted to their lowest .inf form, not as an executable. In the Add Drivers area select the folder where your drivers have been extracted. Check 'Force Unsigned' if necessary for the driver. In the image below the driver files to the left are an example of extracted drivers.
Click Add Drivers and the following window will appear:
This may run for some time depending on how many drivers are in the folder that was selected. You will know it has completed by watching the DISM Output pane. The DISM is Running progress window will close and the Output will look something like this:
Switch back to Mount Control tab and click Dismount Wim. You will be prompted asking if you want to commit changes to the wim. Select Yes and the wim image will be updated with the drivers you've chosen to inject into the wim. If you realize a mistake at this point you can select no and changes will be discarded.
Again the DISM is Running window will appear for a while and once complete check the Output pane for any final error to make sure the operation completed successfully and wim is dismounted.
GUI DISM is a great tool for those who have not yet achieved "Zero Cool" status with a command prompt. Adding windows updates is completed using the same process under the Package Management tab.
For updates this tool allows the injecting of .msp (windows installer patches) and .msu (microsoft updates)
Thanks to mikecel79 for this great tool.

i converted the tutorial for DISM GUI to PDF for easy reading: http://www.datafilehost.com/d/807e1b60

i also translated the essential parts to French for French users: http://www.datafilehost.com/d/3c6e1f1e

Here is an example made by Gandalf explaining step by step the whole procedure:

Injecting Drivers to any Gandalf’s WinPE

Excuse the frog in my voice. It was late at night and I didn’t want to wake everyone. ;)

I replaced UltraIso with a version which allows drag and drop.

Remember to run DismGui with admin rights.

Before you save and un-mount your boot.wim make sure any explorer windows that are open to the mount location are closed, or the un-mounting will fail.

The apps in this video can be downloaded from either One Drive here or from Mega here

(i noticed that Dism Gui is missing from the package linked by Gandalf. You can download it from its homepage here.)

Credits to Gandalf for this easy tutorial and to mikecel79 for this very useful tool

===================================

Feel free to translate it to any language you want, it's very easy. Help people who have some difficulties with English.

• Replies 8
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW Thanks, I just found this useful tool yesterday, while searching for articles on dism.

Thanks

More Advanced Tool:

VDISM 1.1 (win8/8.1/10)
A Graphical User Interface (GUI) for DISM

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool (DISM) is a command line tool by Microsoft©. DISM can be used to prepare a Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) image and to service a Windows image (.wim) or a virtual hard disk (.vhd or .vhdx).

DISM replaces the ImageX tool which was deprecated in Windows 8. DISM also replaces Package Manager (Pkgmgr.exe), PEimg, and Intlcfg that were included in previous deployment toolkits. DISM also adds new functionality to improve the experience for offline servicing.

In brief, DISM enumerates, installs, uninstalls, configures, and updates features and packages in Windows images. The commands that are available depend on the image being serviced and whether the image is offline or running.

http://vorboss.dl.sourceforge.net/project/vdism/VDISM_win8-10.exe

Y2nlJ1Q.png

i'm also intersted in how to inject softwares in wim file.does anybody know how to do it?

If you are familiar with DISM & command line see here.

if not, you can use different tools for different versions of Windows

Take a look here.

jordan4x thanks for your sugestion but i discover something better called NTLite and you can also inject someother software in windows instalation

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Plexxor said:

i converted the tutorial for DISM GUI to PDF for easy reading

Any change for the PDF file Jordan? The old link  (http://www.datafilehost.com/d/807e1b60) doesn't work anymore.

Greetz

i have to search for it in my external hdds

Once found, i'll repost it and remake this tutorial cause it was a bit corrupted by the latest system upgrade

Thanks for the heads up!

Archived