Trololol: Facebook Removes Account of Woman Named Isis

Batu69

It took a while, but Facebook did restore her profile

trololol-facebook-removes-account-of-a-w

Facebook removes account of a woman named Isis

California-based Isis Anchalee has found herself caught in the crossfire of the recent World vs. ISIS war, complaining on Twitter that Facebook deactivated her account just because her name is Isis.

Facebook did not reveal why they disabled her account, but this happened on Monday, a day later after Anonymous had started its social media crusade against ISIS, vowing to hunt and take down social media accounts for the group's terrorists.

The hackers also published a How to Hack ISIS guide two days ago, and buried in one of the tutorials were tools that automatically scanned social media and reported accounts.

Mrs. Anchalee may have been labeled as an ISIS associate using those tools, and thus automatically reported to Facebook. This is an unconfirmed theory, but as long as Facebook is not speaking on this matter, it's the most plausible explanation for what happened.

To get access to her account back, Mrs. Anchalee complained to Facebook via Twitter and sent copies of various IDs over three times.

Eventually, after one of her tweets went viral, a Facebook engineer contacted Mrs. Anchalee and restored her account.

Isis, named after the Egyptian goddess of nature, has meanwhile regained access to her Facebook profile, and now only wishes that reporters would stop bothering her for comments on the incident.

Here are some of her tweets on this whole debacle.

@facebook

why would you disable my personal account? MY REAL NAME IS ISIS ANCHALEE /facepalm — Isis Anchalee (@isisAnchalee)

November 16, 2015

Facebook thinks I'm a terrorist. Apparently sending them a screenshot of my passport is not good enough for them to reopen my account. — Isis Anchalee (@isisAnchalee)

November 17, 2015

NO I will NOT change my name. Wtf people — Isis Anchalee (@isisAnchalee)

November 16, 2015

Third time sending in my information is the charm I guess. I'm back in :)

pic.twitter.com/m0demGZitw

— Isis Anchalee (@isisAnchalee)

November 17, 2015

I write about empathy, vulnerability, overcoming fears, diversity, etc. and my most popular tweet is about being blocked on FB. — Isis Anchalee (@isisAnchalee)

November 19, 2015

Reporters: ilu but I don't want to make any comments about FB. I just wanted my account back. — Isis Anchalee (@isisAnchalee)

November 18, 2015

Source

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived