Microsoft Admits Windows 10 Secretly Installed On Windows 7, Windows 8

Batu69

No, it’s not just you. In recent weeks I’ve received a lot of emails from Windows 7 and Windows 8 users saying Windows 10 has repeatedly tried to self install on their computers. Now, after two weeks of talks with Microsoft, the company has admitted to me that the problem is very real…

The symptoms follow two paths. For some they were using their computer as normal, were prompted for a restart due for standard updates and on reboot found the Window 10 installation was under way. For others they checked their Windows update history and found Windows 10 had tried but failed to install itself without permission over and over again.

The most extreme example I have found of the latter came from one Forbes reader (who wishes to remain anonymous) who found his computer attempted to install Windows 10 on 31 separate occasions. A screengrab showing some of these attempts can be seen below.

W10_Failed_Attempts-1.png

Repeated Windows 10 upgrade attempts were started by a bug in a Microsoft Windows Update. Image credit: Forbes reader

So what’s going on? According to Microsoft the fault lies with a bug in an automatic update it began rolling out to Windows 7 and Windows 8 users in August which triggered the attempted installations. Microsoft didn’t disclose which specific update it was, but confirmed it left the error code ‘0×80240020’ (sometimes recorded as ‘080240020’) in Windows log files when upgrade attempts failed.

As the upgrade attempts all happened silently in the background, those affected would only know Windows 10 would attempt to update once they restarted their computer. For those computers where the update began but failed in the background (apparently a high proportion) they’d be none the wiser without checking their installation history between August and November.

To do this click the start button, in the search box type ‘Update’ –> Windows Update –> in the left pane click ‘View update history’.

So what’s the state of play now? Microsoft claims the bug has been fixed and there should be no further background attempts to install Windows 10 on unsuspecting users. The good news is those who contacted me have also confirmed the repeated installation attempts have now stopped.

Of course the wider problem for Microsoft here is issue of crying wolf. Just last month another bug in Windows Update for Windows 7 and Windows 8 automatically checked the optional tick box to upgrade PCs to Windows 10. Microsoft declared this ‘an accident’.

optional-but-selected-by-default.png

‘Optional’ Windows 10 upgrade has been ticked by default after a bug in an October update – Image credit Ars Technica

This may very well be true of both cases, but with Windows 10 upgrades being moved to a ‘Recommended’ status next year (meaning it will install automatically for those with default update settings) it is understandable that many users will be cynical. Especially when set against the backdrop of dramatically slowing Windows 10 adoption over the last two months. 5.38% market share was attained in its launch month of August, this increased 1.42% in September and 1.31% in October. That’s not great for a product being given away free for a limited period.

Ultimately what should be clear to Microsoft by now is that hardcore fans are now all aboard, but there’s less interest from the mainstream and I suspect the Orwellian control Windows 10 requests of its users is a major factor. How and if Microsoft reacts to this over the remaining months of the free upgrade period (ending July 2016) will be crucial in determining whether Windows 10 is indeed the surefire success its launch once appeared to guarantee…

News source

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Accident, my Aunt Fanny. Microsoft, for a variety of reasons, WANTS you to run Windows 10. It's a big money maker for them. My sister-in-law does not want Windows 10, and I don't blame her. Glad to see Windows 10 is now listed as "optional" in Windows Update.

I dont have it in my windows update as optional and I have no upgrade to windows ten pro failed in my windows update history I didnt reserve my copy of windows ten pro thats not supposed to matter and I should have had a upgrade attempt on my computer I have windows update set in group policy I have it set to automatically install windows updates and restart automatically to (this is to help my ocd) yet there are no windows ten pro upgrade attempts why. The worst thing that has happened is gwx I took care of that without the GWX control panel. Something sounds fishy about this article.

Accident, my Aunt Fanny. Microsoft, for a variety of reasons, WANTS you to run Windows 10. It's a big money maker for them. My sister-in-law does not want Windows 10, and I don't blame her. Glad to see Windows 10 is now listed as "optional" in Windows Update.

You haven't been listening to Microsoft, they have said that it will be updated to recommended status which will cause it to be installed on all systems that have the checkbox for get recommended updates the same as critical checked.

Really nothing surprising there. Microsoft has shown that it will stop at absolutely nothing to get those 1 billion plus pesky we-don't-want-no-stinkin'-Windows-10 Windows 7 and 8.1 users "upgraded" to Windows 10.

Archived