Strange idea to some=> 'Droid as a PC ?!?

smallhagrid

I see where folks want to gain remote control over their PCs from the tiny screen - and it just baffles me.
That anyone would or could be so in love with a handheld device as to prefer a tiny screen over a bigger one...wow.

Having said this, it occurs to me that since tablets and smartphones running Android ARE in reality just small PCs, there should be clever ways to use such devices as if they are just a basic CPU box with accessories attached so as to be very much like a desktop Android PC.

In my imagination it seems as if it should be possible to connect a Droid device with a powered USB hub, a wired USB NIC, some sort of display adapter (if such a thing exists ??), a KB and a mouse - and most far-fetched of all - with enough of a hub - a nice, big SSD connected via USB adapter.

With all that stuff, and speakers plugged into the headphone jack, a small, humble 'Droid device would make a very nice, user-friendly desktop device, I think.

So - I've got the dock for this, and a nice powered 7-port USB hub, really everything except for an idea of how to get it all connected, working and directly onto the larger display without using apps (HDMI...VGA...what ??).

Please toss any idea at me - I am curious to know what anyone else may share on this idea - and please - no flaming because you want to tell me I have it all reversed - I am an older guy with eyes that HATE small screens !!

Thanks.

Addendum=>

Did some searching on the whole USB to video idea, and found at least 3 intereesting bits of info so far:

http://agevik.se/post/58599484370/the-sad-and-complex-state-of-video-out-on
http://www.slimportconnect.com/

Maybe it is not -quite- so impossible after all - and I do have a Nexus tablet, so maybe that will be the lab rat...?

Edited by smallhagrid

• Replies 1
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HX1

• smallhagrid

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Or.. just use Windows Continuum... :P.. one connection..

Or something called a tablet.. just I am rousing'... ;P .. Windows again.. LOL

RaspberryPi running Debian... x)

Seems like when it comes to a Droid.. there would be better options...

Maybe this.. projector, ( small ones they used to have when they came out with the Droid X..) Bluetooth keyboard and mouse... and an SD Card.. using the cloud... root, hack..see what is needed to get it to work.

Oh and one of those old red laser keyboards..via Bluetooth..

I honestly think Droid would need a few things before it expands that far.. additions to its OS.. ( that is why I mentioned debian.. it looks like a Droid device.. )

Edited by HX1