Microsoft Windows Account Password Reset

HX1

Came across a nice set of instructions online I thought I would share with you..

I don't usually forget passwords or have to break into a system for someone.. but I found this useful because several other methods and paid options in the past have not worked. This is free and only requires some basics...

Also will remind you about locking your BIOS Settings and Hardware Access with a Password if possible...

Things you will need..

* Windows Installation Media ( Windows Version OS Install Disk or USB )

* Access to the Boot Order and Menu in the BIOS ( will vary between systems )

Boot from install Disk

at the first program screen to select languages or repair your computer you will press Shft + F10.

CMD Prompt will open.

Find install Dir by typing the drive name like c: or d: and press enter.

C:>

To check the drive to make sure it is the volume or drive in question type C: dir, hit Enter.

This should list recognizable folders or directories in the installation partition in question.

Next you will navigate to C:/Windows/System32 by entering the following commands,

cd windows

cd system32

Next you will type the following commands to rename utilman to utilman1 and cmd to utilman. ( you will need to reverse this in the same manner later.

ren utilman.exe utilman1.exe

ren cmd.exe utilman.exe

Reboot normally and at the logon screen you are going to click Ease of Access.. This will now run a CMD Prompt with an error line at the top, ignore the error. Type the following commands...

net user - lists your user accounts

net user ( ) * -chooses the account to be modified, inserting account name where it says ( ) without the ( )..

It will ask you for the new password to be set.. and as you type the password is hidden.

Next you will type this again to verify. You will receive a notification that it has been completed successfully.

Close the CMD Windows and logon to the account in question with the new password.

To undo the rename changes which were done when booting from the installation disk you will repeat the same steps mentioned above except for this time, after booting back into the installation media and opening the cmd prompt, you will be renaming utilman.exe to cmd.exe and then utilman1.exe to utilman.exe like this..

C:

cd windows

cd system32

ren utilman.exe cmd.exe

ren utilam1.exe utilman.exe

Reboot normally

This undoes the changes that have been made to the files and returns the original operation of the Ease of Access and CMD Prompt to your system.

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't know this one but I use a quite similar one:

1) boot your PC and when Windows loading logo appaers, hard shut it down

2) Boot again, windows will says it can try to repair the boot files or something like this, select the option, it will boot in a safe mode like wizard.

3) when it asks for Restore option, choose No and let the wizard run

4) After 1 or 2 minutes, it will says it failed to repair boot and asks to send data to microsoft

5) scroll down the log window and click on the txt report file, which will open Notepad (with admin rights)

6) in notepad, do file -- save as -- and select All file types instead of only .txt

7) then browse to Windows\system32 and rename sethc.exe to sethc.bak

8 ) rename cmd.exe to sethc.exe

9) close notepad, choose not to send report to MS, reboot

10) then when windows has booted and you face the login screen, press at least five times on Shift key

11) it will bring the command prompt (cmd) with admin rights !

12) then just create an admin user or reset any account password using the net user commands posted above

Archived