Almost Nobody Wants to Buy a New Windows 10 PC Because They Don't Have To

Batu69

IDC says PC shipments are dropping more than expected

Just like any other new Windows version, Windows 10 was expected to reignite PC sales and convince more customers to buy computers running this operating system, but it turns out that this isn't really the case.

A report by analyst firm IDC reveals that worldwide PC shipments reached 71 million in the third quarter of 2015, which represents a decline of 10.8 percent, even worse than the company's prediction of -9.2 percent.

It's interesting to note that this drop was experienced during Windows 10's early days on the market, which is a sign that Microsoft's new operating system failed to boost interest in new computers.

Why Windows 10 didn't help

IDC has an explanation that really makes sense:

“While Windows 10 has generally received favorable reviews and raised consumer interest in PCs, many users opted to upgrade existing PCs rather than purchase new hardware. In addition, the unusually short time between Windows RTM (release to manufacturing) and the official retail release hampered the ability of OEMs to launch certified new models, resulting in a limited selection of Windows 10 PCs (as well as related advertising) through much of the third quarter.”

At the same time, IDC says, most retailers were trying to clear out Windows 8 device inventories, so they were less interested in bringing new Windows 10 PCs in their stores.

Windows 10 is offered as a free upgrade to Windows 7 and 8.1 users, and comes with the same requirements as its predecessors, which means that it can run smoothly on old hardware too. As a result, it's hard to find a reason to buy a new computer since the old ones work really well with the new OS.

We contacted Microsoft to ask for a good reason why customers should opt for a new PC running Windows 10, and the company pointed to the features that aren't supported on the existing hardware and that require upgrades, including Windows Hello biometric authentication.

Source

• Replies 12
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The marketing is not aim to sell windows 10 at this moment they aim for the future :/

btw at this moment windows 10 still have a lot of bug :mellow:

that why the people still not buy it ,they wait Microsoft fix that problem :(

btw, I got free windows 10 pro key from my Dream spark XD

that why I don't buy it XD

Good plain by Microsoft , Give you a unfinished copy of windows 10 for free were you install on a old PC and the software messes you're PC up to the point that you have to buy a new Computer by next summer when they start selling keys . Windows 10 for the win . :P

Edit: Anyone who bought computers here lately knows that when you look at new ones Windows 10 every 1 out of 2 maybe more is windows 8 or windows 8.1 Free upgrade to Windows 10. Most online companies don't even have that many to choose from yet . I bought a new Dell windows 8.1 that was built in June .

With a flood of Windows 10 devices incoming, most manufacturers will be hoping they'll be able to make up the Q3 malaise with a bumper Q4. Microsoft has certainly done its part to stimulate interest with its successful hardware event this week, though how much of the Surface hype will transfer on to the likes of Acer and Asus is yet to be seen. Those two Taiwanese companies have been among the hardest-hit, with IDC and Gartner identifying them as suffering double-digit declines.

Windows 10's availability so far has been a double-edged sword for most PC manufacturers, as IDC points out that "many users opted to upgrade existing PCs rather than purchase new hardware." That's what a free OS upgrade will do. Currency fluctuations have also affected the market — a more valuable US dollar has forced prices up — alongside efforts to offload Windows 8 inventory ahead of the new computers running the latest software. Now that everyone's had the time to introduce more elegant, Intel Skylake-based solutions such as Dell's new XPS lineup, hopes for a near-future rebound appear justified.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/9/9485959/windows-10-pc-intel-skylake-market-share-october-2015

Sigh, PC shipments started dropping WAY before windows 10 and even 8 came out.

Why? Because PCs have reached a point where they are powerful enough for normal, everyday usage. I have a more than 7 years old, self-assembled desktop PC and it ran windows 7 and now runs 8.1 with pretty much no problems (except for some small, non-critical issues that are probably BIOS related) and all its parts are still getting new drivers. I use it as my main computer and even play new games on it, and it works. I do WANT to upgrade to a new computer, but I don't really have to.

I can even install windows 10 and, surprisingly, all the drivers are available. Although I'd rather wait for the OS, and the drivers, to stabilize a bit further. I usually do not jump onto a new OS right away. Even windows 7 had some problems when it was released.

Why does every single windows related thread have to turn into a bashing-for-the-wrong-reasons thread. What happened to constructive commenting?

Windows 7 done much better than windows vista when it came out . Windows 8 never done good even if it had a start menu I doubt it would done much better because everyone just had bought Win 7 machines .

In July 2009, in only eight hours, pre-orders of Windows 7 at amazon.co.uk surpassed the demand which Windows Vista had had in its first 17 weeks. It became the highest-grossing pre-order in Amazon's history, surpassing sales of the previous record holder, the seventh Harry Potter book. After 36 hours, 64-bit versions of Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate editions sold out in Japan

Two weeks after its release its market share had surpassed that of Snow Leopard, released two months previously as the most recent update to Apple's Mac OS X operating system. According to Net Applications, Windows 7 reached a 4% market share in less than three weeks; in comparison, it took Windows Vista seven months to reach the same mark.As of February 2014, Windows 7 has a market share of 47.49% according to Net Applications; in comparison, Windows XP had a market share of 29.23%.

On 4 March 2010, Microsoft announced that it had sold more than 90 million Windows 7 licenses. By 23 April 2010, Windows 7 had sold more than 100 million copies in six months, which made it Microsoft's fastest-selling operating-system. As of 23 June 2010, Windows 7 has sold 150 million copies which made it the fastest selling operating system in history with seven copies sold every second. As of 23 June 2010, Windows 7 has sold 150 million copies which made it the fastest selling operating system in history with seven copies sold every second. Based on worldwide data taken during June 2010 from Windows Update 46% of Windows 7 PCs run the 64-bit edition of Windows 7. According to Stephen Baker of the NPD Group during April 2010 in the United States 77% of PCs sold at retail were pre-installed with the 64-bit edition of Windows 7. As of 22 July 2010, Windows 7 had sold 175 million copies. On 21 October 2010, Microsoft announced that more than 240 million copies of Windows 7 had been sold.Three months later, on 27 January 2011, Microsoft announced total sales of 300 million copies of Windows 7. On 12 July 2011, the sales figure was refined to over 400 million end-user licenses and business installations. As of 9 July 2012, over 630 million licenses have been sold; this number includes licenses sold to OEMs for new PCs

Who is buying something free ? If you ever worked in manufacturing you would know there going try to sale all 8.1 PCs before they start selling Windows 10 much so they don't have pay taxes on these its the end of the year a bad time to sell new O/S software and PCs cost more money than they use too maybe the $ will drop soon and they will go down but I have no crystal ball.

people simply do not want to buy a new computer...they cost too much....yea sure you can buy a 400 dollar budget note book or desk top....but then a short while later you see you should have not tried to cheap out...the alternative ...spend the huge and get something really good....and that is a lot of outlay of cash for those that need to buy that new model cell phone every 45 minutes and keep in data and free minutes and texts...people just use their smart phones way more now....and can get by with an older to very old computer to maintain that phone for back ups and such

pwoplw juat do noy want to buy a new computer...they cost too much....yea sure you can buy a 400 dollar budget note book or desk top....but then a short while later you see you should have not tried to cheap out...the alternative ...spend the huge and get something trally good....and that is alot of outlay of cash for those that need to buy that new model cell phone every 45 minutes and keep in data and free minutes and texts...peole just use their phones now....and ca get by with an older to very old computer to maintain that phone for back ups and such

I know people don't want too . And many are suffering from driver issues BSOD and every thing else , Windows 10 is meant to run DX 12 and most old PCs only can run DX 11 or older . So most people don't really get the full benefit from installing it. Only benefit is bragging rights look at me Im on windows 10 .Really in the long run its causes damage installing a new O/S on computers meant for old O/S . (Old tech) And sooner or latter you will have to buy a new computer or start dishing out money for new hardware and if you don't know how to build you're own you will have to pay for labor as well. :P Do you think these pcs they bought from 5 to 10 years ago is going to last forever without spending money?

Why did Windows 10 kill my computer?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/375672-why-did-windows-10-kill-my-computer.html

Upgrading an old PC to Windows 10? You're on your own

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2973482/microsoft-windows/upgrade-old-pc-to-windows-10-youre-on-your-own.html

Windows 10 on an older PC is a compromise, at best. The 2006-era Pentium D is a borderline lost cause for all but the most basic computing tasks. Even there, it’s almost useless, as the CPU seems to be under heavy loads constantly. The same goes with 2009-era Netbook: Underpowered even when they first came out, you’d better take yoga lessons to prevent you from smashing it into the ground in frustration. Windows 10 loads and runs, but it’s pretty painful once you start to actually do anything.

This may be why analysts are predicting that Windows 10 won’t goose PC sales: You can get by with a seven-year-old laptop and the new OS if you really have to. You give up a lot, though, from battery life to performance and overall weight.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2951112/hardware/can-your-old-pc-run-windows-10-the-answer-will-surprise-you.html

If windows 10 fries you're PC ether you will have buy a new PC and if you buy hardware and fix it most likely you need to buy a key to reactivate . Great marketing by Microsoft .

One thing I do not understand - why always and everywhere are talking about the new OP system, when in fact it is the same old Windows where is some not significant changes and small cosmetic treatment.

One thing I do not understand - why always and everywhere are talking about the new OP system, when in fact it is the same old Windows where is some not significant changes and small cosmetic treatment.

If u compare to WIndows 8.1 yeah, there wasn't that many changes, most are visual only, but most people were using W7 I guess, if compared to Windows 7, Windows 10 is a huge leap in visual and speed.

But one thing that I believe is completely wrong is to say that Windows 10 requirements are the same as Windows 7, yeah u can run it, but it's gonna be a hell of a shit computer.

But back to the point...

Before 5 years ago every upgrade per year would give u either a massive speed boost or a visual/quality upgrade, I'm running a 2nd gen Intel i7 that is about 5 years old with 16gb ram and it's running smooth as ever, why the hell would I want to change for a new computer? A newer PC would give me maybe twice(or less) the speed I have now, unless ur a gamer or really uses a lot of the processor or graphics there is almost no change.

Performance is usually only twice, visual nearly the same(yay for 4k, but I'm fine with 1080p), there is nothing new and cheap besides touch that would make people rush to buy new stuff...

There may be a change when SSD reaches the same or nearly the same storage size, and become cheaper, and if also touch devices become cheaper, or maybe if the virtual reality devices become more integrated or require better hardware.

If someone creates a "3d" "mouse" or something that would allow me to work just moving my hands in the air(not those shits that use the cam to recognize movements, like xbox, those suck) and required better hardware to work a 3D Windows system, yay, I would get a new hardware.

Until then, no thanks ^^

Most people that had trouble with upgrading were running old windows 7 machines and old vista machines upgraded to windows 7 . You be better off buying new hardware if you don't want to buy a new computer now why windows 10 is still free . If that's what you're going to use . . If you use a computer a lot and old putting on new O/S on it is hard on it . Talking about not buying a pc won't make it new again.

I have and Old x64 that came with Vista 4 cores it runs great with with Windows 7 on it but when I upgraded to Windows 10 it didn't so I rolled back. I also have a windows XP that i don't use anymore and a windows 98 all these work but never was used very much and still the O/S that came on them or close to it . I also have a new windows 8.1 i had a little over a week . I'm not going to even put windows 10 on it Even though most Windows 8/8.1 machines give less trouble for upgrading. I'm going to keep using Windows 10 on the computer I got some years ago that came with Windows 8 on it tell it blows up and I need to buy hardware .But at lest I know it want last for ever .And I have backups .

Performance is usually only twice, visual nearly the same(yay for 4k, but I'm fine with 1080p), there is nothing new and cheap besides touch that would make people rush to buy new stuff...

A cheap modern processor now days can play 1080p even were back just some years ago this wasn't so . You would have needed at lest a mid range price one.

nobody buy new PC only for Windows, the people buy new PC only when need more hardware for games.

Few seem to realize this simple, obvious truth.

If you're system works fine with windows 7 or windows 8.1 why bother taking a chance of messing up you're O/S with Windows 10 witch is a new O/S unless its a PC you don't care about?

You know why I bought a new PC ? It was because I upgraded to windows 10 and one day it started having trouble finding the C drive . I manged to get windows to boot up I tried to restore with my factory image windows 8 it would not take it failed. I was still having boot up issues .

So I used a Linux live boot CD and mange to delete all partitions then from there I used my Windows 10 DVD to clean install it. Also to get it to do windows updates I have to use drivers that are from before the ones before windows 10 came out stable, my manufacturer don't even support Drivers for my system with Windows 10 and the ones Micosoft gives me I cant update windows or use DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) and it came with Windows 8 on it.

I have no love for Windows 10 at all , only reason I have it on this PC now is because I lost my factory image with windows 8 because of the not finished windows 10 . I'm just giving people a heads up is all . I could care less what O/S you use . But if it breaks you will have to deal with it . :lol:

This PC here with Windows 10 I back the data I want to keep everyday on another drive . I don't know when i may have to buy parts for it and it was in good shape before I put windows 10 on it . :P

Archived