Microsoft Says CCleaner for Windows Is Meh

Batu69

I wonder how cleaning a few kb of texts in the registry could actually make your computer run better, as I wonder how keeping those few kb of texts could actually affect performence.

Edited : I wanted to says "better", not "faster", but this still applies. :)

• Replies 60
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It don't make a modern PC faster. CC cleaner need to remove the registry cleaners from there software . Registry cleaners were designed for Windows 95 invented by Microsoft and were abandoned by them around the time Windows 98 came out . Most everyone is considered rougeware even Cc Cleaner made the list because of there reg cleaner .

Ccleaner Classified for registry cleaner tool Rated: Useless.

http://asafercomputer.co.uk/?q=Active_Rogueware

There's tons of research on the internet that will tell they do more harm than good . I had trouble with them when using XP. So no telling what it would do to windows 10 they not been of any benefit since windows 95 . :)

Edit: It want make them run better ether .. If you're image is messed up so bad that you think you need to use registry cleaners its time to redo you're PC . Because using one could really foul it up . Not everyone had trouble with them ..But why take a chance of using something that could mess you up?. That has no benefit. Only way cleaning the registry has any benefit is if some program want install or you was blacklisted from piracy or resetting trials . Its best to do this by hand are have a batch that will do it.

Because registry cleaners rarely reset anything and removes stuff that don't need to be removed for a smooth running machine. :ph34r:

Windows doesn't clean registry properly after uninstallations. So..

it isn't windows's job to take out the trash... it's just that many programs are messy and not very well programed... u have to clean stuff.

u either do it manually like the microsoft guy (or any other one who knows how to do it) or u need a "cleaning lady"... if u're using none of these options then u'll "stink" in no time and will move to a new "house" sooner or later and continue to make trash. :P

I used Ccleaner and it messed up my indexing in windows 10 x64, i could not search for 'check for updates' when i type 'update' in start menu. even rebuild indexing won't help.

7BdA8qY.png

I had the same problem though I cant blame CCleaner for it. Here is how I fixed it, hope it works for you.

1. Open an elevated Command Prompt window - Command Prompt (Admin)
  2. Type start powershell and press enter
  3. Run the command (in one line): Just copy & paste the command below.

Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

I have also used registry cleaners my whole computer life.. My two I used have been the one inside Yamicsoft Windows Manager and WinASO... I have used CCleaner twice in my life, during that time it caused two different issues which were known in the wild so to speak..

WinASO which I used habitually would actually help clean the registry from infections.. and leftovers.. then compacting the registry in some cases depending on how bad it was, would help.. BUT this was on systems which were pushing their limits and usually AMD or single core Intels...

If you do not review what it has found it can be likely that in fact you will remove something that should never be removed.. AND with new systems it is also hard for developers to track down and change such behavior in some cases then issue current updates accordingly... which can cause issues.. plus who wants to read through 3,000 entries to make sure one is not missed.. Categories help eliminate some of the confusion and time but it still should be done..

The ones that kill me is entries to files that are not present. Which have to be in place after a program or service is run as it is unpacked and used.. ( shorthand )... but they need to be there and will not be rewritten.

They can also clean entries which have been made which are incorrect for the current OS and written by installing other programs.. which winds up interfering with parts of what is now the OS.. some could be good and some may not.. writing things into a programs o think and clear these entries correctly is harder said than done.. So a tool is a tool... not a PC Tech.. or knowledgeable consultant.. it can aid in finding them.. then you have to properly discern what to do...

Like so many things out there.. and is stated above in so many different ways... People being informed and knowledgeable about this sort of approach is good .. BUT who takes the time to teach.. or pass that on.. and you would never do so if you were trying to build confidence in a product for sales.. unless they are forthright.. and some who are even do not foresee that factor when problems arise..

Take an Image often of your OS, I take 4 per day and keep a weeks worth of backups all stored on a 1TB HDD - all is well after 10 years, no need to do re-installs again....I hope . :D

Airstream_Bill

I am almost afraid to make a post here. This is Just ME. I have messed around for 25 years plus with programs that are said to Clean, Optimize and make your Computer Dance the Tango. I more than likely will try some more if the description of the program can entice me but I think that Registry Cleaners should not be USED. I really think they do more HARM than GOOD.

The only thing I personally dislike about CCleaner is that recent releases have adopted the Metro (ModernUI.)

While it is understandable that those who are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 might prefer this flat look — for me, it does not go well with my meticulously pimped Windows. :wub:

I actually think it looks good.

Regarding it hosing PC's.. watch WTF you clean. I've used it a lot and never had an issue.

Nonsense. CCleaner is the best cleaner EVER. The thing is, most cleaners clean too much and they fuck shit up sooner or later. CCleaner is more restrained, but it does the job. And never fucks up anything. Have been using it for years and never had problems. Most other cleaners eventually messed something up just because they wnated to constantly clean over 500 entries of something.

The only other app that I know works and is safe is Wise Registry Cleaner. But you have to set it to only show Safe entries and nothing else. I've been testing this one for year or two and hasn't shown any problems so far.

I am almost afraid to make a post here. This is Just ME. I have messed around for 25 years plus with programs that are said to Clean, Optimize and make your Computer Dance the Tango. I more than likely will try some more if the description of the program can entice me but I think that Registry Cleaners should not be USED. I really think they do more HARM than GOOD.

I use my CCleaner as a Trial Resetter to turn some of my shareware back to a full 30 days evaluation — have also created some neat custom rules to auto-delete the entries which are responsible for starting-up non-essential apps. & programs with Windows. Moreover, have also created similar rules to calibrate my services and Task Scheduler. B)

Years ago it used to scew up my system...now it seems to fix it or do no harm.

mostly was to do with flash player though.

knowledge-Spammer

ccleaner is number one i think but its just me for all the people who say it f*cked up your pc its not ccleaner its the user sorry

Years ago it used to scew up my system...now it seems to fix it or do no harm.

mostly was to do with flash player though.

I don't use there registry cleaner but i do use it to clean hidden files . But if you use Winapp2 you need make sure to be careful of what you check . I have my doubts about if people really need these programs very often . Most normal users go years and years and never need to reformat there pcs and people who think they need to make there pc faster or run better and install everything end up having reformat more often . Old saying is , if its not broke why fix it? Most HHD now days has a lot of space and if you just use portables like me most of you're main HHD never gets used you're programs are on backup drives . B)

ccleaner is very good so good government not like it

as they have a hard time geting deleted files back its what i think

i use ccleaner all the time its fine if used right

There was a study done with hard drives here lately even when a attempt to erase data was made most used hard drives bought from Ebay and other places from techs .. A lot of data was recovered. The only surefire way to get rid of data is use a magnet.

Who the fcuk is microsoft to comment on a app, anyway? They can't even make a proper OS now a days. God bless the apps like Ccleaner and other which helps keeping the OSes at usable state.

+1 to piriform :thumbsup:

Who the fcuk is microsoft to comment on a app, anyway? They can't even make a proper OS now a days. God bless the apps like Ccleaner and other which helps keeping the OSes at usable state.

+1 to piriform :thumbsup:

That's a good question? Because Microsoft really never made any apps I ever liked. But in regards to CC Cleaner why do so many people pirate it? They bother with blocking it with firewalls and host when the darn free version does the same thing as the pro version . How do you get it keeps you're system stable though vs just using normal clean up built in for windows ?

I use CC Cleaner every so often to clean everything but I don't use it everyday.. I only use it to delete trash but not to make my system run better . I just use clean and quit for my browser because wipeing out you're Internet Cache all the time slows you down.

If Crap Cleaner bother M$ so much, then they should release a freeware cleanup program themselves, rather than their alternative, C:\Windows\System32\cleanmgr.exe

The reason why CCleaner is so popular amongst folks is simple — it brings the power and freedom of choice to the end User.

On one hand, it can cater to n00bs who want just a Kitty-Kitty-bang-bang solution — on the other hand, it can empower Experts with the capability to reverse-engineer paid programs, Services & Task Scheduler.

On one hand, it can attract those who like the plain Jane Metro (ModernUI) — on the other hand, it can also appeal to those who prefer a ravishing, full-bodied (read — buxom) 3D visual.

With such wide range of flexibility, not often seen on most programs — since when was one expected to start worrying about what Microsoft thought about CCleaner. :lol:

If Crap Cleaner bother M$ so much, then they should release a freeware cleanup program themselves, rather than their alternative, C:\Windows\System32\cleanmgr.exe

I know you been on the internet longer than me . I was using crap cleaner a long long time ago . And like it was said before its not they don't like the file cleaner its Registry Cleaner part they don't like .

CCleaner Registry Cleaner has been breaking context menus since windows 7. But I think its been fixed in windows 7 by now.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ccleaner-breaks-the-windows-7-context-menu

If nothing is broke using a registry cleaner wont fix anything . It could break something really in a new O/S like windows 10 it most likely is not even safe yet to use it. Most of the time when you have a registry error you can search it by hand and delete the entries to do with that program and it will fix it. :P

I watched the video and the microsoft engineer is not a idiot and so I dont know why he dislikes ccleaner as I have always used it and have never had any problems and I agree they need to release there disk cleanup utility and before that work on it to make it better and as for what steven said about you can securely erase anything ccleaner is one of many programs that can secure erase. You can use Darik's Boot and Nuke program to secure erase or alternatives that if I used a secure erase I would use all those hard drives obtained from ebay and amazon were securely erased using many different secure erase methods it didnt say which methods were used. Some dude I used to hang out with said you cant get a hold of dariks boot and nuke as its used by the government and he had gotten himself a copy of it he didnt know what he was talking about you can get it here:

http://www.dban.org

I would recommend different software you can use that would really work. I have a Low-Level format tool I would use to secure erase:

http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/

I would use this tool if I was going to formmat and sell a hard drive. You can also use these if you like:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/261702/how_to_securely_erase_your_hard_drive.html

Remember if one secure erase tool doesnt work try a different one same with recovery if one recovery tool doesnt work try a different one. There is a possibility that the data is lost should never give up. Anyway back too the topic at hand you may not need to use a different secure erase program ccleaner has a thirty five pass (very complex overwrite) I dont know if that is as good as a low level format tool one of them should help prevent identity theft and the registry cleaner is ok like I said if you dont do a backup first your playing with fire I wouldnt look at that video as a reason not to use ccleaner just use it as a precaution and a disclaimer before using the registry cleaner. And I agree pirating it is pointless when you can install it on the computer use the install for everyone that uses this computer option and then go under each account and clean the profile and when a new version comes out update it manually.

Speaking of freedom of choice every site I visit, people seem to associate CCleaner with registry cleaning — the same grapevine is ripe here, too.

The truth of the matter is CCleaner does not clean the registry, by default — not . . . . . . . unless the User takes a conscious effort to make a couple of extra clicks after firing open his/her CCleaner.

I watched the video and the microsoft engineer is not a idiot and so I dont know why he dislikes ccleaner

The reason he didn't like it he was trying to help someone and he seen it on there machine and didn't know if they been using the registry cleaner or not . If you go too Microsoft and ask they will tell you its ok to use the file cleaner but you should not use the registry cleaner . .

Patrick Barke MVP Community Moderator

Hi,

On its own, to clean temp files, etc (even though that's unnecessary as well), CCleaner is OKAY. I would not under any circumstances recommend cleaning the registry. The registry debate is a long and gruesome one...

--------------

First off, one big thing about registry cleaning is it is by no means and should not be a computer maintenance task. Clearing your browser's cache and cookies every week? Great, no harm there. Running your favorite registry cleaner every week? NOT GREAT.

If we're being honest and straightforward here, cleaning the registry is an entirely unnecessary thing to do. So far, what I've said makes it sound like I despise registry cleaners. Do I? No, I don't despise them, but as I said, they are unnecessary and if used carelessly can render your Operating System a paperweight.

So why would you even use a registry cleaner in the first place? Well, they have to do something right or they wouldn't even be allowed to be sold (if paid for) or if they were free (CCleaner for example) there would be a huge backlash, more than what there already is in IT with regards to opinions based on registry cleaners.

Registry cleaning software is useful mainly for one thing, and it can be done very well depending on the algorithm the cleaner software itself is using, and that's removing remnants of old uninstalled software or entries with now invalid path names. At times, it can also possibly be useful for removing traces of malware that may have been stored in the registry that was not successfully removed after running a virus scan, etc.

Other than that, it's not going to do anything. It will not increase your system's performance by any means whatsoever. Nothing noticeable. A 'smaller registry' in theory would have one assume that things load faster, etc, but in reality there is no performance difference whatsoever.

For reference, take a look at this:

Mark Russinovich (Author of the "Bible", Windows Internals, co-founder of Winternals and Sysinternals, and since both companies were bought by Microsoft, now a senior Microsoft employee) was asked:

Hi Mark, do you really think that Registry junk left by uninstalled programs could severely slow down the computer? I would like to 'hear' your opinion.

His reply:

No, even if the registry was massively bloated there would be little impact on the performance of anything other than exhaustive searches.

On Win2K Terminal Server systems, however, there is a limit on the total amount of Registry data that can be loaded and so large profile hives can limit the number of users that can be logged on simultaneously.

I haven't and never will implement a Registry cleaner since it's of little practical use on anything other than Win2K terminal servers and developing one that's both safe and effective requires a huge amount of application-specific knowledge.

So, to sum all of this up:

Q: Will using a registry cleaner increase the speed and/or performance of my system?

A: No.

----

Q: Why would I even use a registry cleaner then?

A: I personally wouldn't use one whatsoever and would find the problem you're specifically having and take care of it manually. That is much safer. However, the main use of registry cleaners is to again as stated above, remove remnants of old uninstalled software or entries with now invalid path names. At times, it can also possibly be useful for removing traces of malware that may have been stored in the registry that was not successfully removed after running a virus scan, etc.

----

Q: What is the true danger of using a registry cleaner?

A: You have to remember what you're using is an automated tool that is not perfect by any means. You are putting your trust in an automated tool to be absolutely sure every key it is about to delete is 100% unnecessary. At times, and I have seen it personally myself PLENTY, it can delete a very important key that is necessary to the functionality of your Operating System in some form or another.

----

Q: What if my registry is corrupt, will running a registry cleaner help?

A: Absolutely not.

Regards,

Patrick

Debugger/Reverse Engineer.

Debate at M$ about should you use it are not

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/is-ccleaner-safe-to-useplz-be-brief/8c156909-d7f8-4605-af75-4cd60e46a2f5

Some people think it collects info because it free .Because nothing in the world is really free , But even if it did you can just block it . If there scared of Crap Cleaner they sure don't want to use Windows 10 . :lol:

Speaking of freedom of choice every site I visit, people seem to associate CCleaner with registry cleaning — the same grapevine is ripe here, too.

The truth of the matter is CCleaner does not clean the registry, by default — not . . . . . . . unless the User takes a conscious effort to make a couple of extra clicks after firing open his/her CCleaner.

True.

I use crap cleaner to clean up a few default items, the applications via the add on cleaner enhance and drive wiper to clean free space.

All I use it for.

All the other applications I have are registry disabelled.

Though Using A.V.G. I use registry defragment, which is fine.

Please don't judge me for what i am posting. I am an avid user of Ccleaner for years and i can say that it didnt affect my daily computer usage at all as a casual gamer. I can say that Ccleaner's registry cleaning function is light compare to those like RegClean program.I am using the registry cleaning function to erase ONLY the remnant of a deleted installer on my PC.

If i am to compare whether Ccleaner will ruin my OS or a Defective hardware will ruin my OS and PC first? I am sure about the latter as main concern according to my own experience of computer usage.

Archived