Chrome and Firefox Block KickassTorrents Over “Harmful Programs”

Batu69

kickasstorrents_500x5001.png

Chrome and Firefox are actively blocking direct access to the popular torrent site KickassTorrents. According to Google's Safe Browsing diagnostics service the site contains "harmful programs," most likely triggered by malicious advertisements running on Kat.cr.

Starting a few hours ago Chrome and Firefox users are unable to access KickassTorrents (KAT) directly.

Instead of a page filled with the latest torrents, visitors now see an ominous red warning banner when they visit Kat.cr.

“The site ahead contains harmful programs,” Google Chrome informs its users.

“Attackers on kat.cr might attempt to trick you into installing programs that harm your browsing experience (for example, by changing your homepage or showing extra ads on sites you visit),” the warning adds.

Mozilla’s Firefox browser displays a similar message

harm.png

The warning messages are triggered by Google’s “Unwanted Software” scanner which flags websites that pose a potential danger to visitors. Chrome and Firefox both use the service to prevent users from running into malicious software.

The policy applies to all websites but torrent sites are common targets of ‘unwanted software’ distributors, according to Google.

The company further stresses that the warnings will automatically disappear when the flagged sites no longer violate Google’s policy.

Kat.cr’s Safe Browsing diagnostics page

katmalware.png

This is not the first time that the red warning banner has shown up at Kat.cr. The same happened a few months ago and at the time several other large torrent sites were also affected.

Coincidentally, KAT’s operators just issued a warning to avoid malicious copycat sites, which only adds to the confusion. This warning is unrelated to the alert triggered by Google.

Previously, the Chrome and Firefox warnings did indeed disappear after the affected websites disabled certain advertisements, so it’s likely that the current issue will also be resolved in due time.

Impatient or adventurous users who want to bypass the warning can do so by clicking the details link, or disable their browser’s malware warnings altogether, at their own risk.

Update: The KAT team informs us that the bad advertiser has been removed, so the warning should disappear after Google reviews it.

Source

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kat.cr is shit anyway, who cares if it's blocked or not, long live darknet and private P2P :)

Kat.cr is shit anyway, who cares if it's blocked or not, long live darknet and private P2P :)

no it is not. it is my main source for tv shows.

Chrome and Firefox Block KickassTorrents Over “Harmful Programs”

Nope, not blocked here — works perfectly fine (probably due to the dozen about:config entries, tweaked into my copy of Firefox.) B)

The darknet isn't dark anymore and private p2p sucks. Get over it.

The darknet isn't dark anymore and private p2p sucks. Get over it.

You have shit sources if you think private p2p sucks.

Yes like half of TWD show episodes are missing, right!

Yes like half of TWD show episodes are missing, right!

I don't know about that. I always download tv shows the day that they are released and at least twice a day check the content, sometimes i find good games or apps.

Check the sandboxie topic here. Crack was removed because of DMCA or whatever. You can't escape from the lawyers nowdays.

I think the shit is Google.

Read this:

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 6817 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 105 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2015-10-10, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2015-10-10.

I think google do something wrong by downloading malicious software and gives suspicious marking to kat.cr.

How about if we search something via google search and found link contain malware? Are they (Google) give suspicious marking unto their Google Search itself?

LOL :lol:

And the link @ Google SafeBrowsing info regarding domain kat.cr mentioning this funny thing as well:

20 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including ...

This site was hosted on 12 network(s) including ..., AS15169 (GOOGLE), ... .

Google mentioning domain is suspicious while google it self hosted the malware. ;)

Archived