US to abandon training new Syria rebel groups (BBC News)

hawk007

The US is to end its efforts to train new Syrian rebel forces and says it will shift to providing equipment and weapons to existing forces.

Its $500m (£326m) programme was heavily criticised after it emerged that US-trained rebels had handed vehicles and ammunition over to extremists.

It emerged last month that only four or five of the fighters were in Syria.

The programme had aimed to train and equip 5,400 fighters this year and a further 15,000 in 2016.

A senior administration official said the programme was being put on "pause".

The programme had suffered from "significant challenges", the official said, adding: "We had a very high bar in terms of recruiting".

The US will no longer vet every individual recruit but just the leaders of the groups they decide to work with, who will face "very vigorous vetting".

Of the initial two groups sent into the country under the previous programme, the first was rounded up by Jabhat al-Nusra, an offshoot of al-Qaeda, in July. The second handed much of its equipment over to the same group in September, reportedly in exchange for safe passage.

Quoting an anonymous US Department of Defense source, the New York Times reported that the US would no longer recruit Syrian rebels to go through its training programmes in Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates.

Instead, it would establish a smaller training centre in Turkey, where "enablers" - mostly leaders of opposition groups - would be taught operational manoeuvres like how to call in airstrikes, the newspaper said.

SOURCE

• Replies 36
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like how they now want this to look as normal as possible, like is the most common thing. If Russia wouldn't had destroyed all the terrorist camps (basically US trained terrorists, so they are terrorists by definition aswell like we didn't know it...), the US would never disclosed this to public.

There was an amazing picture but I can't find it right now with a female pig that was breastfeeding baby pigs, the pig was named USA and the baby pigs ISIS, Al-Qaeda etc.

How sick can one be to create terrorists to kill your own citizens just to create a reason to kill other people on the other part of the world.

Didn't Assad release most of the terrorists from his own prisons ?

And isn't he also responsible for killing over 90% of his own people ?(90% of the one's who have died over there)

Two fun facts that i read a while a go (if they're true).

I like how they now want this to look as normal as possible, like is the most common thing. If Russia wouldn't had destroyed all the terrorist camps (basically US trained terrorists, so they are terrorists by definition aswell like we didn't know it...), the US would never disclosed this to public.

There was an amazing picture but I can't find it right now with a female pig that was breastfeeding baby pigs, the pig was named USA and the baby pigs ISIS, Al-Qaeda etc.

How sick can one be to create terrorists to kill your own citizens just to create a reason to kill other people on the other part of the world.

Dude what do you expect...there are still some people thinking terrorists were behind the 9/11 incident.

And now U.S trying to fuuuack with us saying Russian missiles were landed in Iran. Bruh.. I live in the north where exactly the missiles were passing and none of them fell in here. both parties, Iran and Russia, denied such stupid rumors too. Lol must be so desperate

And isn't he also responsible for killing over 90% of his own people ?(90% of the one's who have died over there)

The Hard truth that nobody wants to understand.

You can add another true thing that government forces disappeared from the northern borders with Turkey and with Iraq (from east) with almost no fight. it was like welcome foreigners who want to perform jihad.

the real sad fact to this ...it depends who ask to tell you the truth on what answer you will get

@ thunderpants OK, if they remove Assad now, who will fight ISIS on the ground in Syria? One simple question, you have an answer?

Didn't Assad release most of the terrorists from his own prisons?

Isn't he also responsible for killing over 90% of his own (90% of the one's who have died over there) people?

Where, exactly, did you read these 'facts'?

CNN, CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC ???

BBC SKYNEWS???

@ thunderpants OK, if they remove Assad now, who will fight ISIS on the ground in Syria? One simple question, you have an answer?

You do realize that it's not only Assad fighting ISIS in Syria, don't you?

e.g. Last night IS launched an attack on rebels in Aleppo and took control of a strategic military base while Syrian army forces are just on the edge checking/watching them!!!!

Who leads so called opposition? Just recently when asked, NATO`s secretary could not mention any name. By the way: Pentagon offered those who were injured and families of those who were killed in US airstrike on hospital in Kunduz so called condolence payments.

Who leads so called opposition? Just recently when asked, NATO`s secretary could not mention any name. By the way: Pentagon offered those who were injured and families of those who were killed in US airstrike on hospital in Kunduz so called condolence payments.

Hmm. It's obviously a very irrelevant question but anyway:

Clearly the opposition is fragmented and divided between many militias and commanders. I will give you an example:

The Islamic front movement nowadays controls large ground in Syria and it's a coalition between many (militias), the leader of this group is hassan Abod who is an Islamist jailed in the government secret prisons (Saydnaya). This man was released in 2011 under the remission of the government at that time.

* Zahran Alloush is another commander of a big opposition militia around Damascus. He is also a Salafist and was released from prison in 2011 for the same reason.

These people are not terrorists but rather Islamic and want to build an Islamic society in Syria. But the real question is Why would a government release such persons from its prison in 2011?(which is only the beginning of an uprising towards the government)

Very irrelevant? The USA etc don`t even know who should be in power after Assad!

It's very very very irrelevant and I'll tell you why:

1- You are asking the wrong person, NATO doesn't have as much power in Syria as Russia. (if you want to know about who is/should rule Syria now or after ask the main player Russia). It's all in the hand of Russian to fix the problems in Syria not the US or Europe.

2- Opposition is fragmented and divided, so there is no one leader. The names of groups on the grounds are known and I gave you some names but it wouldn't change anything.

3- if you are asking about political opposition, it's also fragmented and divided and there is no one leader.

Now what is relevant to ask,

* Why the two big Islamic opposition leaders were freed from jail in 2011 even though they weren't in jail because of the uprising? Do you have an answer for that?

* Why did the Syrian army which supposed to protect the borders leave the Turkish border even without a fight? why it's not the same with the coastal area?

* Why did they leave Al-Raqqa without a fight?

people who cut off heads and eat the livers of the opponents

can't be the opposition\"Syrian rebels"

they are just bandits rabid beasts

and shall be destroyed

Settle down strong man.

Since day one the government has used all its power to destroy all terrorists. Mr. Assad promised us (Syrians) that if the army got into it, it wouldn't take too long.

Look now what we have? more terrorists, more civilians are getting killed and more destruction to the country.

Do you want to bring Syria back to stone-age?

and shall be destroyed

Settle down strong man.

Since day one the government has used all its power to destroy all terrorists. Mr. Assad promised us (Syrians) that if the army got into it, it wouldn't take too long.

Look now what we have? more terrorists, more civilians are getting killed and more destruction to the country.

Russia is definitely making a big change in the fight against terrorists in Syria, more than any U.S coalition has ever done. you can see the effect on the 2 days ago suicide bombings in the capital of Turkey which later was found that ISIS was behind it. these ISIS people know where to hide and they don't usually seem to be somewhere in a bunch so the mass destruction of buildings and cities is inevitable by air force. but there should be a strong ground force in there in order to eliminate them thoroughly without making a lot of mess.

I've heard from some of my friends in Syria that the ground force isn't as strong as the air force and ISIS people hide in buildings.

And btw can your last name by chance be Assad ?

saeed_dc :wtf:

I'd tell you my name

but then I'd have to shoot you :D

peace, generally I have no relation to the Middle East

:cheers:

Lol what do you think I'm gonna do with your name? jeez! don't be a homophobe :D

And I was talking to @bashar

and shall be destroyed

Settle down strong man.

Russia is definitely making a big change in the fight against terrorists in Syria, more than any U.S coalition has ever done. you can see the effect on the 2 days ago suicide bombings in the capital of Turkey which later was found that ISIS was behind it. these ISIS people know where to hide and they don't usually seem to be somewhere in a bunch so the mass destruction of buildings and cities is inevitable by air force. but there should be a strong ground force in there in order to eliminate them thoroughly without making a lot of mess.

I've heard from some of my friends in Syria that the ground force isn't as strong as the air force and ISIS people hide in buildings.

No It's not Assad! Why would it be?

Do you want to hear the truth or just keep on campaigning for either the regime or the opposition?

I am Syrian and I understand the geography of Syria. The Air strikes carried out by Russia are focused only on Anti-Assad forces in the north-west part of Syria mainly Idlib and Hama. The part where the opposition (Name it as you like!) gained so much control lately. While what we call Daesh/ISIS is in the north-east part of Syria that includes Northern suburbs of Aleppo till Iraqi borders. ISIS last night defeated opposition group in Suburbs of Aleppo and now it can make a great offensive to take the whole suburbs.

If you think that by bombing Anti-Assad militias, you will win the war. Pardon but you are wrong. The government has been shelling/bombing etc. all these areas but the results was lose more control and for me a devastating and destruction of what was once a beautiful country.

Now to the ground:

Iranian tried to help the ground forces by supplying militias from Iraq, Hezboullah, Iranian commanders and advisors since 2013 = The result was a sudden success and more stable coastal area but large defeat in the north and south parts of Syria.

The problem you don't understand:

each day you keep the war alive, it's going to be harder, more divided and more sectarian, which will not be able to heal by air force, ground force or anything.

When the Iranian and Hezboullah intervened in Syria, it brought more intervene from the other side. More people being recruited for Jihad with ISIS and more people got recruited for fighting with opposition. The results that you dont care about, civilians, homes, buildings, heritage are being destroyed.

We all knew that the Syrian army can't fight because the government was in a deep corruption. When I travel outside my city, the bus driver used to bribe the check points so they don't check. Its the bitter truth that no one is admitting.

The Syrian army itself left the border with no fight especially near Aleppo and this result in more and more problem with many people from outside can go in freely with no checks.

Russia could be the savor for Syria but not by bombing the country, bombing will create more problems.

Do you want to hear the truth or just keep on campaigning for either the regime or the opposition?

I am Syrian and I understand the geography of Syria. The Air strikes carried out by Russia are focused only on Anti-Assad forces in the north-west part of Syria mainly Idlib and Hama. The part where the opposition (Name it as you like!) gained so much control lately. While what we call Daesh/ISIS is in the north-east part of Syria that includes Northern suburbs of Aleppo till Iraqi borders. ISIS last night defeated opposition group in Suburbs of Aleppo and now it can make a great offensive to take the whole suburbs.

If you think that by bombing Anti-Assad militias, you will win the war. Pardon but you are wrong. The government has been shelling/bombing etc. all these areas but the results was lose more control and for me a devastating and destruction of what was once a beautiful country.

Now to the ground:

Iranian tried to help the ground forces by supplying militias from Iraq, Hezboullah, Iranian commanders and advisors since 2013 = The result was a sudden success and more stable coastal area but large defeat in the north and south parts of Syria.

each day you keep the war alive, it's going to be harder, more divided and more sectarian, which will not be able to heal by air force, ground force or anything.

When the Iranian and Hezboullah intervened in Syria, it brought more intervene from the other side. More people being recruited for Jihad with ISIS and more people got recruited for fighting with opposition. The results that you dont care about, civilians, homes, buildings, heritage are being destroyed.

We all knew that the Syrian army can't fight because the government was in a deep corruption. When I travel outside my city, the bus driver used to bribe the check points so they don't check. Its the bitter truth that no one is admitting.

The Syrian army itself left the border with no fight especially near Aleppo and this result in more and more problem with many people from outside can go in freely with no checks.

Russia could be the savor for Syria but not by bombing the country, bombing will create more problems.

I was kidding about the name.

I am telling the truth, no campaigning here.

I am not saying it is impossible to win this war in Syria without a lot casualties and destruction but it is definitely hard, so in this situation you gotta choose which one you want.

you want your country with buildings and cities remained intact with terrorists wandering around freely and killing innocents, OR you want your country free of terrorists at the cost of having some ruined cities?

I'm saying "some" because you don't need to bomb the whole country, just the areas under Daesh control. Also, this Daesh don't care about the buildings, cities or historic areas. that's why they are destructing all of the old and ancient things in Syria and Iraq.

so in this situation, if you show weakness about your buildings and cities, you'll most likely lose this war, because your enemy doesn't care about it thus they are stronger.

a war should be finished in less than 7 days, but this is not that kind of war. neither Russia nor Iran is fighting directly with Daesh. they get new recruits because we let them do so, we give them the chance to do so.

Our coalition should act fast and brutal with no mercy. I really don't know what political decisions have been made or what plans they have for this war but I hope whatever they are they be so hard that all Daesh members get either killed or run to other countries that have been supporting such terrorists. let them taste their own medicine and know what their cooperation with governments like (....) brought on them. I believe some Daesh members are reading these posts in this publicly visible forum so better not to discuss strategic stuff here, I'm not kidding tho

Very irrelevant? The USA etc don`t even know who should be in power after Assad!

US puppet dictator, Russian puppet dictator, what the hell is the difference? Going to be a broken cesspit of hell there either way.

You don't think either side is doing this to "liberate" do you?

May as well just lob a couple nukes around and stop pretending the world isn't f*cked beyond all help.

Now to the ground:

I was kidding about the name.

I am telling the truth, no campaigning here.

I am not saying it is impossible to win this war in Syria without a lot casualties and destruction but it is definitely hard, so in this situation you gotta choose which one you want.

you want your country with buildings and cities remained intact with terrorists wandering around freely and killing innocents, OR you want your country free of terrorists at the cost of having some ruined cities?

I'm saying "some" because you don't need to bomb the whole country, just the areas under Daesh control. Also, this Daesh don't care about the buildings, cities or historic areas. that's why they are destructing all of the old and ancient things in Syria and Iraq.

so in this situation, if you show weakness about your buildings and cities, you'll most likely lose this war, because your enemy doesn't care about it thus they are stronger.

a war should be finished in less than 7 days, but this is not that kind of war. neither Russia nor Iran is fighting directly with Daesh. they get new recruits because we let them do so, we give them the chance to do so.

Our coalition should act fast and brutal with no mercy. I really don't know what political decisions have been made or what plans they have for this war but I hope whatever they are they be so hard that all Daesh members get either killed or run to other countries that have been supporting such terrorists. let them taste their own medicine and know what their cooperation with governments like (....) brought on them. I believe some Daesh members are reading these posts in this publicly visible forum so better not to discuss strategic stuff here, I'm not kidding tho

I'm not saying that out of weakness. If destruction could at least bring peace to Syria I would not mention it. However destruction and losing the country at same time. I'm sorry but no.

So u told me ur friends told u that ground forces are not as strong as air forces?

I imagine it took them 5 years to understand that and I'm sure it will take you 5 years also to understand my point.

Peace.

I'm not saying that out of weakness. If destruction could at least bring peace to Syria I would not mention it. However destruction and losing the country at same time. I'm sorry but no.

So u told me ur friends told u that ground forces are not as strong as air forces?

I imagine it took them 5 years to understand that and I'm sure it will take you 5 years also to understand my point.

Peace.

I get your point very well and he was a Syrian like you. you should stop being so disappointed. he told me that based on the casualties ground forces are experiencing.

Your country will definitely lose if people all be hopeless like you. no body said Syria will fall. do you believe some foreign fake news? cuz they are all shit..like the recent psychological rumors about missiles landing in Iran.

US puppet dictator, Russian puppet dictator, what the hell is the difference? Going to be a broken cesspit of hell there either way.

You don't think either side is doing this to "liberate" do you?

May as well just lob a couple nukes around and stop pretending the world isn't f*cked beyond all help.

So what do you propose? we all sit do nothing?

Liberation? that's a funny world. at least we all know as long as there is oil in there US will never try to liberate it.

US has increased its presence in the middle east since 9/11 and nobody said a single word. now Russia trying to do something useful and you all just calling their actions useless?

Apparently you're not getting the whole news on TV, do you? like how zionist regimes killing people like animals in Palestine.

Liberation? that's a funny world. at least we all know as long as there is oil in there US will never try to liberate it.

So true.

Archived