Windows 'snooping' and nagging patches return, including KB 3035583, KB 2952664

steven36

In the past two days, Microsoft has released (more accurately, re-released) six patches. Almost all of them have been identified, in the past, as “snooping” or “nagware” patches. One is marked “Important,” at least on some machines, so folks with Automatic Update turned on will get the new versions automatically, potentially wiping out any precautions they’ve taken before.

Here’s the list:

KB 3035583, re-released for Windows 7 on Oct 5, version 8. I described this as a Windows 10 nagware patch back in May. It’s responsible for installing the Get Windows 10 nagware program GWX. There is no information in the KB article about why the patch has been re-released.

I have reports from one Windows 7 user who claims this patch is marked “Important,” and the Windows Update master list says it’s “Recommended.” On my Windows 7 machines, it’s unchecked and in the Optional bucket. On the “Important” machine the patch is checked and ready to install with Automatic Update. I have no idea why.

KB 2952664, re-released for Windows 7 on Oct. 6, version 13. I talked about the way this patch triggered daily telemetry runs back in April. It was the first “snooping” patch I found. The KB article continues to identify the patch as a “Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7.” There's no indication why it was re-released.

KB 2976978, re-released for Windows 8.1 on Oct. 6, version 19. Still labeled a “Compatibility update for Windows 8.1,” it’s a scanning program. In June, I found the claimed connection with the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program to be tenuous, at best.

KB 2977759, re-released for Windows 7 on Oct. 6, version 12. Analogous to the KB 2976978 patch for Windows 8.1, this one is also a scanner. The KB article says it’s a compatibility update for Windows 7 RTM.

KB 3083710 is a new update client for Windows 7, with no further details available.

KB 3083711 is also new, and it appears to be an analogous update client change for Windows 8.1.

Be careful what you patch.

Source

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm... are M$ covertly moving W7 and W8.1 users to the W10 update model, with little control over updates?

Will we be seeing the W10-style "take it all, no details, trust us... we're Microsoft" cumulative updates for W7 and W8.1?

Given all the changes that have been introduced with the W10 update model, and their porting already of some of the W10 privacy-breaking changes back to W7 and W8.1, are these questions so ridiculous?

I'm not interested in helping Microsoft with any telemetry. I'll debug it myself. At least that way it'll actually get fixed.

Hi I installed these upadates KB 2976978 and KB 3083711 do i have to remove it or not?

I would if I were you. I have my windows updates set in group policy and oonly important updates are installed and the good part is if they get put in windows updates they dont install right away which gives mme time to go through them. I got the get windows ten app thats before I knew about windows seven telemetry or I should say before the FUD happened.

I turned windows updates off after the June updates. If your system is secure and you don't do stupid things you will never have a need for any of the updates. I am behind two firewalls, no software can run on my system without my specific permission, no software can install from the hidden AppData folder (creates minor problems with some software updates), I am notified of any changes to any of my browsers, and I don't run any internet security/antivirus software. I run all new software and software trials in a VM because the majority of malware released in the last five years will not run in a VM and will even delete itself because installing it in a VM is a way of detecting and countering it so the developers guard against this. This even works in a system with no drive and booting from a usb device which runs windows from a vhd(x) file which is essentially a windows to go but better because if on the off chance you install something or get malware you can delete the vhd file and replace it with your backup file.

what do you guys are afraid of? sincerely I don't think ms is going to steal my bank accounts or spy on my photos..

If you don't want spying patches on windows 7 or 8.1 if doing a clean install

1. You need to install it offline. When windows 8.1 ask if you want to connect to the internet tell it to skip this.

2.. Turn off updates to never check for updates .

3. Now connect to the internet . Manually check for updates .Try to go trough all updates and check to see what each is for.

if it has to do with windows 10 . costumer improvement or telemetry and hide all these updates.

4. Now proceed to do the rest of the updates.

5 . After you update run a good batch file that removes spy updates to make sure you got them all.

6. If you're still worried use a good firewall and block off everything M$ still calls out.

7. Always from now on before you install updates you need see what there for . If they have no info wait tell they get info before you decide to update or not.

:)

I'm just fine here on a new Dell with windows 8.1 all updates but spy and nag updates . I would just use windows 10 but to much bugs with some of my programs still.

Archived