[SOLVED] Laptop does not shut down completely (Fan and LEDs stay on)

Diego T.

Hey guys,, so now I have my new laptop on Win10

But when I shut it down the laptop goes off but the most of the times it does not do a complete power off. The LEDs and the fan are left on running until either the battery runs out or I keep the power button pressed to perform a forced shutdown.

I already did a clean Win10 install and used all the up to date drivers but still have this issue.

There have been a very few times where the laptop performs a complete shut down but is very rare. I really dont like doing the forced shutdown feeling I will ruin the laptop.

Thanks for any help.

This is my laptop

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-15-u000-x360-Convertible-PC/6944194/model/7174404/drivers?ssf=1

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi, had the same problem with my Asus laptop, since it was still with warranty send it back to repair and it was motherboard problem, got a new motherboard!

My HP does this each time I shut it down... It sometimes can take a few minutes but it shuts down eventually. The screen goes black long before that point.

This sometimes is due to the effect that Windows 10 actually writes to the hiberfil.sys file during shut down to enable a sort of hot start, like mentioned above.. The file is almost 4GB in size, depending on your hardware it can take some time to complete.

I quit worrying about it a long time ago.

Hopefully it is not your motherboard.

try update last version of BIOS

Yeah.. true that may help.. drivers as well.. I repaired a lot of my laptop issues by wiping it and fresh installing with just an Operating System, like a signature PC.. then updating where needed on drivers.. Some of them can cause some real issues if installed or even out of date.

You should also try disconnecting any peripheral devices that are connected to your computer. I have had one "powered usb hub" that did what you described, and another one that fed so much current back into the computer that even after shutdown, with the computer battery or without (connected straight to the A.C. power cord), it caused the main hard drive and all conected usb drives to spin at full speed, the fan ran at full speed, the DVD player to spin, and all of the LED's stayed lit. It continued even after unpluging the computer power cord (with no battery installed). I had to unplug the hub from the computer or it's power cord to stop it. Both were screwy straight out of the box. I've read of a few others who have had this experience since then. I don't remember the brand of the first one, but the last, really bad one, was a Satechi USB 3. I was afraid it had fried part of my computer, but I was lucky that I pulled the plug quick enough and suffered no lasting damage that I am aware of.

• Administrator

The laptop probably does not shut at all, it's just the screen that's shut but the laptop is still working in background.

Which means, something is running in background and preventing it to shut. The above suggestions will be useful for it.

You can also observe the time you closed the PC and then hard booting it and checking out the time in Event Viewer if you want.

If the LEDs and fan are running its the mother board The leds and fans are running meaning the computer is getting power and the computer is not booting meaning the motherboard is at fault.

Hp ..Might try Downgrading your intel Management Engine version in device manager or just temporarily disable it to see if that's your culprit .... and or change its power savings setting the opposite of what it is set in device manager / system devices.

You're welcome !

You bought it new, then it must be covered by warranty. So why you are taking risk to void the warranty? Just go to the seller & ask him to solve the issue. If it is a hardware type fault, certainly you will get a replacement.

Try taking off battery, (unplug the cord) and press power button and hold it for 10 to 20 sec, this performs a power reset, see if this helps

The process drains stored electrical energy in some critical circuits on the motherboard. These circuits start the computer properly.

This laptop model has the battery built in. Theres is no way to removed like traditional laptops :/

You bought it new, then it must be covered by warranty. So why you are taking risk to void the warranty? Just go to the seller & ask him to solve the issue. If it is a hardware type fault, certainly you will get a replacement.

True that, and the guy over the HELP just said "Bring it back to WIN8 since it was working with WIN8"... like really??>..... so much for progressive tech.

Hp ..Might try Downgrading your intel Management Engine version in device manager or just temporarily disable it to see if that's your culprit .... and or change its power savings setting the opposite of what it is set in device manager / system devices.

You're welcome !

I Un-checked the power options for this device on the Device Manager and so far it has worked. I will update on this.

I have not update or donwgrade the drivers.

SOLVED

Removing the check for the power management for the Intel Management Interface Enginge (IMEI) on the device manager solved the issue.

I kept the same up to date driver on the computer and now the computer shuts down completely without any issues.

Thanks guys!!!

Airstream_Bill

Glad you got your problem Solved without pulling out all of your Hair. Good Job to everyone.

What does exactly de IMEI is fora and what is supposed to do that apparently it wasn't doing right???

"From what I can understand of the technical literature it is to allow remote

access over a LAN for IT admin / repair purposes even when the system is

powered down."

I looked all over trying to find out what some of these strange drivers were for my HP..LOL This is basically a shorthand.. but I don't think its entirely correct. It seems like I remember reading about it also being able to allow someone to monitor the state of the machine.. like in an IT environment as well.. One of the reasons I looked into it was because my camera quit working completely, and was hoping it was just a missed driver that was causing it.. it stands for Intel Management Engine Interface... I think it was originally supposed to allow remote access even if the system was powered down.. but should the driver malfunction or interrupt the shutdown process in the wrong manner.. I would assume it would cause this issue.. ( like not being up to date for Windows 10 for example ).. in several instances I see it reported that it has direct access to hardware like the network card and fan.. Several people seem to be concerned about the safety of the thing..

http://www.intel.com/support/vpro/sb/CS-031234.htm

TXE Fabric Sideband has to do with sensors and temps if I remember correctly.

Yeah, The laptop comes with this "Intel Smart Connect Technology" that supposedly allows you to leave your laptop connect to a LAN and to wake up on its own to refresh the content of your computer while you are away and that way the content is like "ready" when you turn on the laptop while the laptop is on sleep mode or to "remote wake up"

I remember that on mine but..of course I fresh installed and abandoned it.. removed all of HP's stuff.. didn't need that anyway.. or HP Support.. LOL

Archived