Linux: 16 Security Packages Against Windows and Linux Malware Put to the Test

Petrovic

As Linux PCs are increasingly used to connect Windows PCs, they ought to use a security package as well. The lab at AV-TEST put 16 current security solutions to the test under Ubuntu – against Linux and Windows threats. The result is bitter for several products: for some, 85% of the Windows malware goes through unrecognized, and up to 75% of pure Linux malware remains undetected.

The Linux world is largely considered a safe fortress against malware, including various types of trojans. But many Linux machines run in a network with Windows PCs. Roughly half of all Web servers, for instance, run with a Linux system. These in turn serve billions of users on the Web. That's why Web servers are a tempting target to be used as a bridgehead for Windows malware threats.

csm_0915_Linux_Tabelle_scanwerte_neu_en_

Full Article

• Replies 7
  • Views 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Linux should get more antivirus they only have like one that works so far . But saying any Antivirus can protect you over 90 percent is stretching the truth. If that was so we would not need script blockers . sand boxes and people would only need AD Blockers for purely comedic reasons. In a perfect world this would be so . But the problem is there's always 0day threats and it takes most antivirus days or weeks to even get the signatures . So we dont live in a prefect world were and Anti malware solution will work even 90% of the time.

Also there is no way they ran this test on Linux were it mattered ..This test was ran on Windows with Windows and Linux malware . Because all these Anti malware solutions but one up there don't work for Linux at all.

Linux: ESET better than Kaspersky :o

How do they know this since nether works om Linux ? i have a Linux Mint x64 AMD Rig so i know nothing but ClamAV works on it :lol:

The last version of ESET that came out Linux was ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 Business Edition for Linux Desktop . People had trouble with it 2 years ago so how will it work in new distros?

Anyone truly concerned with security will do well to use a retired PC with IPFire for their networking.

Really you don’t need a retired pc on my Gateway that came with windows 8 I used a old portable hardrive i had for years and I can boot Windows 10 on the internal hardrive and i can boot Linux mint on the portable Harddrive . I set this up yesterday I lost windows 8 on this PC were i upgraded to windows 10 on . So I done clean install Windows 10 and it worked. :P

I suggested a retired PC for an IPFire box simply because it runs just fine on most any low spec PC - for someone desiring network security this is a very good and cheap way to accomplish it.

Archived