Microsoft Windows VHD/VirtualBox Question

HX1

Okay so here is the problem..

I have a 500GB HD.. I have installed in this order.. Windows 8.1 Enterprise, 101 GB Free Space, Windows 10 Pro...

1. If I copy the 8.1 to a VHD that I created, will it be able to be loaded in VB..

2. If I delete this partition on my HD to move my Windows 10 Pro to extend it, will I be able to copy the Windows 8.1 back into a partition for a dual Boot System? In other words Windows 10 Pro, 101 GB Free Space, Windows 8.1 Enterprise...

.. AND one more...

3. Any problems with running say Mac OSX El Capitan in VB on a Intel Windows PC?...

Any advise in this area would be great... It is an idea I have entertained for awhile.. My Windows 10 Install is getting larger... and I am thinking about extending it but the placement is not right on the HD.. plus there is not enough free space to simply move it over with say AEOMI because it isn't large enough... I have shrank both Windows partitions down as small as they will go.. each still has quite a few GB of free space.. BUT..

I am trying to also with VB, create VHD's of different OSes several Windows ones, Linux and Mac OSX... so I had a few questions all concerning usage of VB.. and usage of VB with Windows VHD.

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2Old2Remember

@HX1: yes you can backup a partition to vhd and it would work on virtualbox. I have done it a few times. VHD works on virtualbox and vmwere but not VHDX.

Right now I only use VHDs. I don't install windows on my system anymore. I extract windows install to a VHDX (for host boot) as windowsToGo, then add an entry to my boot menu and boot from there. This allows me to move from system to system with the same install and it just works. Right now I have a few different OS in my boot menu. All on VHDX (its not dual boot anymore). :)

2Old2Remember

you can use Sysinternals "disk2vhd" to backup the partition to a vhd and plug it into vmware/virtualbox to boot from it.

there are many other tools that can do the job if that's what you meant by "copying the partition"

That actually is what I meant.. BUT with the premise of then copying the partition back onto the hard drive.. that is the part where I am sort of worried that I will not be able to do it... and I would like to keep the Dualboot with 8.1 and 10 Pro. ( hopefully without installing all of the programs again.. )

Plus after all of the setup I have to do on a computer ( don't get me wrong I love a fresh install.. LOL ) it would be nice to have this option for the main OS as well.

2Old2Remember

"copying the partition back onto the hard drive"

If its in the vhd already, just add the vhd to your boot menu and boot from it. Or if its just that you want to backup your dual-boot, then use a backup software to backup the partition to somewhere, do your spring cleaning then restore it.

Archived