No Sound After Installing Windows 10 Updates? Microsoft Has a Fix

Batu69

This appears to be one of the common issues in Windows 10

One of the problems that users are experiencing with Windows 10 affects the audio card of PCs running the operating system, with a significant number of upgraders complaining that there's no sound after deploying it or after installing updates.

We've experienced pretty much the same problem here at Softpedia, as sound stopped working on a couple of Windows 10 PCs after installing the cumulative updates that Microsoft released in the last couple of months.

Every time, we managed to fix the issue by rolling back drivers, so it seems that it's all caused by the audio software that Microsoft uses for your card. Every time a new OS update is installed, drivers are updated too, so you get the same version that the company delivered in the first place.

How to fix the problems

In a post on Microsoft Community, a company support engineer linked to an easy to use workaround that might come in very handy to those who are struggling to fix audio issues in Windows 10.

The workaround, which you can find in the box after the jump, involves uninstalling the audio card from your PC and removing the generic drivers. After rebooting the system, Windows 10 should attempt to reinstall the drivers and look for a new version online.

Additionally, you can also check the audio card manufacturer website and download the latest drivers for your hardware. Then, you can point Windows 10 to the updated software and thus make sure that no generic drivers are being used (you should check twice that your manufacturer already optimized its files for the new OS).

If that doesn't work, you might want to contact Microsoft support and let them do the hard work for you. But in most of the cases, removing the sound card and reinstalling it should do the trick.

Source

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's one of million reasons if your system works fine and no problem at all why you update it?

I been using systems from Windows 3.11-8.1 without any updates and i have no problems at all, if system works fine no point of updating it ( Personal opinion )

That's one of million reasons if your system works fine and no problem at all why you update it?

I been using systems from Windows 3.11-8.1 without any updates and i have no problems at all, if system works fine no point of updating it ( Personal opinion )

i agree, use powerful antivirus too

Ive not had any sound problems since I stop trying to update realtek drivers myself years back when on windows 7 I just leave them alone and i dont even have a problem on windows 10 with all windows updates or did I ever have a problem with windows 8.1 with all windows updates. When I updated to windows 10 it gave me a new driver and it works fine but i didn't install they did. Driver date 6/16/2015.

I can roll back my audio drivers to the ones that came with windows 8 by pushing a button but i never needed too. Only way I would fix them if they was broke . ;)

If you dont do windows updates at all I remember when back on xp a lot stuff would not install unless you updated to SP3 . I always looked at it like I will do windows updates for my security and I will fix what ever if something breaks . And i never had much trouble at all.

Ive had no sound for ages,my mate says it could be that the battery is flat in my hearing aid :)

Archived