Defragging SSD

SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Hello everyone,

I haven't really looked into this ever since SSD's were introduced and at first people made it out to be "taboo" to defrag them.

Only recently have I thought of defragging my storage drive that hasn't been defragged for a few years now and I think it's dime as I'm constantly adding/removing files from it.

Currently just using Defraggler.

But nowadays is it okay to defrag SSD? As my primary drive is an SSD.

---

Sorry unsure if I were to have put this under Software or Hardware as it's more hardware question. Though at the same time asking as to which Defragment Program is most optimal to use on both SSD/non-SSD drives.

THank you.

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But nowadays is it okay to defrag SSD? As my primary drive is an SSD.

---

Sorry unsure if I were to have put this under Software or Hardware as it's more hardware question. Though at the same time asking as to which Defragment Program is most optimal to use on both SSD/non-SSD drives.

THank you.

@SacredCultivator.......To give you the short answer which is NO you are ill advised to defrag a SSD drive. What you do require is to send TRIM commands to the drive to clean the free space & thereby making all blocks available. This is not the same as ZERO filling or Defragging that would cause excessive read / writes & shorten the lifespan.

Two excellent options to consider are:-

Microsoft Win8/Win8.1 Optimizer.....Note: This "Optimizer" (formerly named "Defrag Tool") is an integral part of the Operating Systems Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. It can be executed from within the Windows Explorer (right click onto the SSD partition > "Properties" > "Tools" > "Optimizer"). This tool is able to optimize SSD partitions by sending a thunderstorm of TRIM commands into it. This even works with SSDs, which are part of a RAID0.

Warning: The "Optimizer" function only works, when the SSD has been detected as SSD by the OS (the detection can be forced by running the Windows Experience Index). If you run this tool with SSD partitions, which are shown as "Hard Disk Drive", it will not optimize, but defrag it, which is not good for SSDs.

Second option if you are running Win7 or certain MS Server OS configs. Download & run ssdtool.exe (a stand alone portable) from the link below. The tiny freeware app may be a few years old but does the job well by issuing the required TRIM commands & completing the task quickly. Works great with Win 8 / 10 OS’s too.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/SSD-Tool-free-space-trimmer/td-p/51198

BR

Mike

SacredCultivator
Thanks for the recommendation especially the 2nd Option as I am running Windows 7. Will give that a go whenever Defraggler finishes on my Storage drive, 19% fragmented, ETA 12 hours lol.

@SC I have 100+ SSD's of various types running on Endpoints & Servers within my group of companies & can assure you that ssdtool.exe works well.

All the best with the defrag...... ;)

The answer is NO and remember when you will do it will shorten the lifetime span of your drive

Theres only a optimize function ( see Speeddisk defragmenting )

No need to defrag a SSD drive. They are fast anyway. The main concern with SSD drives is to reduce the read-write cycle to increase its life span.

Defragmenting is putting data behind each other so read/write head of harddisk doesn't have to move and so loose time.

SSD's doesn't have read and write heads, so no use of degfragmenting.

I adree, no defrag.

I would go to the manufacturer of your SSD's web site and download whatever tool they have for keeping your SSD in good health.

Archived