Good-bye Flash, hello VP9

Batu69

The newly formed Alliance for Open Media hasn't officially announced that they see VP9 as the next-generation media format, but sources indicate that will be the case.

We all know that Adobe Flash is a hot, bug-ridden mess. If you've been following the video codec business, you'll know that HEVC Advance, a patent pool, wants 0.5-percent of content distributors' gross revenue for using HEVC Video. In other words, they want 0.5 percent of Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Facebook, YouTube, and all other HDTV and 4K content distributor's revenue.

That's gone over well.

For the Internet companies, who've been annoyed at the MPEG-LA video patent fees for ages, this was the last straw. Seven leading Internet companies today announced formation of the Alliance for Open Media. This open-source project will develop next-generation media formats, codecs and streaming technologies. The Alliance's founding members are Amazon, Cisco, Google, Intel, Microsoft, Mozilla, and Netflix.

Although they've battled each other with proprietary video formats for years, these companies are ready to quit fighting with each other. They're also sick and tired of cleaning up one Adobe Flash security problem after another.

How to disable Adobe Flash on Windows, Mac

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is cheaper for them, if they put just a fraction of what they would have to pay of HEVC Codec they can even pay someone to build something else, asking 0.5 was a crazy move.

I never found any major problems with Macromedia (then Adobe) Flash Plug-in.

I play a lot of flash games and only had maybe three (3) or four (4) crashes.

• 2 weeks later...

I never found any major problems with Macromedia (then Adobe) Flash Plug-in.

I play a lot of flash games and only had maybe three (3) or four (4) crashes.

I've found almost all my complete Chrome crashes (not a tab, but the whole browser), have then opened and blamed the built in Flash. Mileage may vary.

Instead of Click to Play, I have uMatrix not allow plugins. If I want your site to run Flash, I let you run it. Otherwise, I don't want Chrome to even waste the bandwidth downloading the Flash file to then throw up a click to play box.

Archived