Intranet Speed Question

HX1

Quick question.. I was wondering if there is way to speed up file transfer speed on my Network between my NAS and my PC and/or laptops, tablets...

Currently my speed seems to peek at around 10 MB/s when I add files to transfer.. that speed is shared between each file... it will occasionally peek higher.. and being I am connected with RJ45..

Shouldn't my speed be higher than that... and if so what do I need to change.. ( I have checked 100 Full Duplex in my Network Card settings on my PC..)

This connection goes from PC to router ( capable of 3.2 GB/s ) to ReadyNAS316..

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah.. this could be the issue I have notice when copying a folder that with more read/write operations the speed drops as well... The PC is supposed to be 3 GB/s and the NAS is 5 and 6 GB/s... Wondering of other computer operations could be at play as well..

EDIT: still thinking speeds should be higher..

You are talking about - the mega bits (Mb) or mega bytes (MB)?
M = mega,

m = milli,

b = bit

B = byte

More information - http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculatorBits.htm

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculatorBits.htm

(how was before 1988 and how after 1988, and how after January 1999 etc.)

Very difficult is to understand, if every person uses their own symbols and own definitions.

(Sorry, I'm a physicist.)

Quick question.. I was wondering if there is way to speed up file transfer speed on my Network between my NAS and my PC and/or laptops, tablets...

Currently my speed seems to peek at around 10 MB/s when I add files to transfer.. that speed is shared between each file... it will occasionally peek higher.. and being I am connected with RJ45..

Shouldn't my speed be higher than that... and if so what do I need to change.. ( I have checked 100 Full Duplex in my Network Card settings on my PC..)

NIC's set @ 100 can transfer @ around 10 MB/s whereas NIC's set @ 1000 (Gigabit) can transfer @ around 100 MB/s. taking into account other system overheads.

Megabits are not Megabytes... 1 X megabit = 0.125 Megabytes

So if you are using an 100 megabit NIC adapter you are hitting your max.

BR

MIke

Yeah.. and I tested moving 4 and 5 files @ 3 - 4 GB each.. didn't take but maybe 4 minutes.. so I do not guess that is too bad and I am hitting my max.. Windows shows MB/s on the speed... I do not beleive my Ethernet adapter is capable of Gigabyte speed either so yeah.. think this one is answered..

Thx.. :)

Archived