RAM Compatibility

Knightmare

I've ordered RAM from Newegg twice now and both times the RAM has been incompatible with my system. My computer will boot but nothing is displayed on the screen. I've tried checking the BIOS settings with the old RAM in the system, but I don't really know what I'm looking for in the BIOS. I have a MSI G41M-P26 (MS-7592) motherboard and I have purchased G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL and G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL. Both of these caused my computer not to boot.

I really don't want to go back to Newegg for more RAM unless I am 100% sure that it will work. Can someone please lead me in the right direction?

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the same problem with an HP 15-f023wm laptop.. still have not been able to get the right RAM replacement.. need one for 8GB.. States that is its capacity .. bought the RAM stuck it in and nothing..

One suggestion was to look at the existing RAM and make sure it did not sat DDR3L instead of just DDR3..

I was thinking some sort of manufacturer protection or something new that I had missed.. still wondering.. I would love to have 8GB myself..

Try reset the BIOS to factory and install one dimm first to test. If no video try the other one. Your mother bd supports manually configuring memory timings, latency and such. Make sure they are set to auto as per pg 24 of user manual.

Main Memory

• Supports two unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 800/1066/1333* (OC) DRAM, 8GB Max

http://www.datasheets.pl/motherboards/MOTHERBOARD_MSI_G41M-P25_G41M-S02.pdf

Try reset the BIOS to factory and install one dimm first to test. If no video try the other one. Your mother bd supports manually configuring memory timings, latency and such. Make sure they are set to auto as per pg 24 of user manual.

Main Memory

• Supports two unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 800/1066/1333* (OC) DRAM, 8GB Max

http://www.datasheets.pl/motherboards/MOTHERBOARD_MSI_G41M-P25_G41M-S02.pdf

I did this. It was set to auto and I inserted one stick at a time. :(

did you use onboard VGA or ext VGA card ? have you tried to pull out your VGA card and use the onboard VGA ? maybe the problem is not the ram :think: if the ram is the problem, you'll get many bsods like me.

As you have stated that on placing the old RAM back, things works fine, then why don't you buy RAM from the same brand specification but bigger size.

• Administrator

I was searching for RAM sticks and whether newer ones were compatible with my motherboard or not. Guess what, irrespective of what others say, the RAM supported on these motherboards with these chipsets are only the RAMs which are made of 256MB of chips each. All the newer ones are made from chips of 512MB or 1GB. Only RAMs that are 2GB max in total size use 256MB chips. So you can install max 2GB stick in a single slot in your computer.

Either way, your motherboard seems to support max 4GB, that is 2GB + 2GB combined together.

That was what I found awfully strange about this board on the laptop.. it has a space for two slots.. BUT the slot with the pins is missing.. I guess they want to disallow upgrades unless you go and spend 12 times as much on a whole new system.

I was searching for RAM sticks and whether newer ones were compatible with my motherboard or not. Guess what, irrespective of what others say, the RAM supported on these motherboards with these chipsets are only the RAMs which are made of 256MB of chips each. All the newer ones are made from chips of 512MB or 1GB. Only RAMs that are 2GB max in total size use 256MB chips. So you can install max 2GB stick in a single slot in your computer.

Either way, your motherboard seems to support max 4GB, that is 2GB + 2GB combined together.

But I'm running it on 8GB right now--4GB + 4GB. The only reason I upgraded to 8GB in the first place is because of what I found on the motherboard's website.

Also I narrowed down my search by limiting it to 1333 and 1066 RAM. What I did find interesting is that when I search the compatibility of the RAM on crucial.com, the results say that the RAM needs to be 1066 and 1333, but the PC3 is 12800 for the 1066/1333; on Newegg, the PC3 is 8500 for the 1066/1333. I'll be honest: I don't know what any of these numbers mean, but I have a feeling that they are the reason why my PC3-8500 RAM will not work with my motherboard.

• Administrator

I think 12800 is for 1333 and 8500 is for 1066. Those numbers are probably for bandwidth of the RAM. The MHz is the RAM frequency.

From the motherboard's page, it seems your computer needs to be overclocked from the BIOS in order for you to run the 1333MHz RAM. 1066MHz RAM should probably work fine though.

May I ask which RAM are you currently using and why do you think you need to buy a new one.

Check your Computer

Automatically check your memory configuration and find the exact RAM for your Windows computer.Memory check results are dispalyed on our sister site!

*Hardware check only, no personal data is transmitted!You can get a handle on your memory with their free test...

Home page:

http://www.memoryten.com/

Check your ComputerAutomatically check your memory configuration and find the exact RAM for your Windows computer.Memory check results are dispalyed on our sister site!*Hardware check only, no personal data is transmitted!You can get a handle on your memory with their free test...Home page: 
http://www.memoryten.com/

Unfortunately, we were unable to provide an exact match.

Archived