Shocker: Almost Nobody Uses Microsoft's Edge Windows 10 Browser

Batu69

Edge is nowhere to be seen in August 2015 market share stats

Microsoft launched Edge, its new Windows 10 browser, with much fanfare, describing it as a modern rival to Firefox and Google Chrome that can finally replace Internet Explorer and win the hearts of users worldwide.

On paper, Edge is indeed a very appealing browser, but in reality, it lacks several key features and it obviously needs plenty of improvements on both desktops and tablets, some of which are expected to be released soon.

But right now, Edge doesn't seem to be the preferred choice for those who install Windows 10 and browse the web daily, as the new browser is nowhere to be seen in August 2015 market share statistics.

Inaccurate stats or the painful truth?

Data provided by market analyst firm StatCounter shows that in August 2015 Google Chrome 44 was the number one browser with a market share of 44.48 percent.

Internet Explorer 11 was second with 10.89 percent, followed by Firefox 39 with 7.45 percent. Several other IE, Chrome, and Firefox come next, but Microsoft Edge is not included in these stats.

The latest entry in the chart is Firefox 38 with 0.94 percent, which probably means that Edge is below this score and is only included in the Others category that has an overall market share of 15.89 percent.

While it's hard to tell whether these figures are inaccurate or not, it's pretty clear that, for the moment, Microsoft Edge is not really that powerful browser the Redmond-based tech giant wants it to be.

It does lack a number of features that are already available in rival apps, but Microsoft promised to improve it significantly in the coming updates. Living proof is likely to be an October pack of improvements that will provide us with extension support for Microsoft Edge, thus bringing the browser in line with Chrome, Firefox, and Opera, all of which already offer such functionality.

Time will tell if Edge has a chance to succeed and help the company get over Internet Explorer, but for the moment, it's pretty clear that Microsoft still has a lot of work to do in this area.

Source

• Replies 42
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use it, just not as my main browser :D ! That responabillity goes to Firefox!!!

I use it, just not as my main browser :D ! That responabillity goes to Firefox!!!

FireFox is for whimps!

I would use 'edge' if I could get it for windows 7 :thumbsup:

Airstream_Bill

It is what I use. EDGE

Hmmm Firefox is for whimps huh? What do you use Google Chrome? Now that's for losers and I would rather be a whimp than a loser any day!!! Don't get me started on Edge, cause it's a joke! Better than Internet Explorer, but that's not saying much! To qoute Stan Lee "Nuff said"! Yours Scott

ugh it's not a shocker, but us humans instinct to stay away from ms browsers :D

Hmmm Firefox is for whimps huh? What do you use Google Chrome? Now that's for losers and I would rather be a whimp than a loser any day!!! Don't get me started on Edge, cause it's a joke! Better than Internet Explorer, but that's not saying much! To qoute Stan Lee "Nuff said"! Yours Scott

Same browser your momma uses, Internet Explorer.

Without idiotic name-calling, I use Edge only occasionally. The main reason? It does not block ads. I tried Adguard, but I prefer uBlock origin. As soon as extensions are available, I will use it more. Assuming, of course, Edge does not become bloated........

I guess I'm a loser-Google Chrome is my main browser.

Yes it is for whimps so stfu.

Only people I know that uses M$ browsers are big businesses on networks were there not allowed to install what ever they want . That's why M$ IE keeps the biggest part of the marketshare .

Most PC geeks would not use a M$ browser as default and considering most people who installed windows 10 so far are PC geeks .It not shocking at all . But people who use other windows have no say they could not use Edge anyway so there input is useless . As long as the majority is still on windows 7 . windows 8.1 and XP no way EDGE will have marketshare value . Windows 10 is not that poplar yet even XP has more users .

Yet Net Applications paints a completely different picture. Who to believe?

To the end user, these stats are useless. We use what we want. Even more useless are articles and forum threads like these ones; full of FUD and hyperbole.

I, personally, use IE11 and FF. Haven't switched to windows 10 yet, so no edge.

Yet Net Applications paints a completely different picture. Who to believe?

Windows 10 is too new to paint any real picture yet. were M$ gave it away free for a year it may be next year before start to grasp if its going to be a failure like windows 8 or is it going to be a gravy train for M$ like windows 7 was. M$ is trying to force Windows 10 to succeed though by never making another O/S buy the time 5 years is up Windows 7 will be like XP with no updates .

Even more useless are articles and forum threads like these ones; full of FUD and hyperbole.

If no one posted any articles these sections of the forum would be dead . Most people that complain never post nothing but complaints about other people's post . if you think you can do better post some yourself . :rolleyes:

although it's faster than any other, it doesn't have sync nor extensions. If it had any of those i'd switch to it immediately.

Windows 10 is too new to paint any real picture yet. were M$ gave it away free for a year it may be next year before start to grasp if its going to be a failure like windows 8 or is it going to be a gravy train for M$ like windows 7 was. M$ is trying to force Windows 10 to succeed though by never making another O/S buy the time 5 years is up Windows 7 will be like XP with no updates .

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but don't you think writing "M$" is just too silly? How about letting aside such childish practices.

Also, what you wrote has nothing to do with this thread. This is about edge.

If no one posted any articles these sections of the forum would be dead . Most people that complain never post nothing but complaints about other people's post . if you think you can do better post some yourself . :rolleyes:

1. I don't have to post threads and I have every right to criticize the ones that I don't like.

2. I don't have any problem with informative threads. My problem is with threads like these that link to articles with such click-baity titles and such FUD ridden content.

although it's faster than any other, it doesn't have sync nor extensions. If it had any of those i'd switch to it immediately.

There working on this but dont get you're hopes up that they will be good as Chrome or Firefox ones are . They say Microsoft extensions will be like there apps in there store very controlled. just like Google apps for there phone O/S is better than Windows store apps . Chrome or Firefox will always be better because EDGE is sandboxed away from the real PC were has many restrictions.

Chrome or Firefox will always be better because EDGE is sandboxed away from the real PC were has many restrictions.

What makes you think that? How can you be so sure?

Also, even chrome is sandboxed and has been for years:

http://blog.chromium.org/2008/10/new-approach-to-browser-security-google.html

Same applies to IE.

No not alot of years it was only a like a little over a year ago they stop people from installing add-ons from 3rd party sites. Chrome has many good add-ons and user scripts that can bypass there store . But as far M$ they never had good addons . IE 11 was a developers nightmare . Maxthon used IE engine and has add-ons but there not as good as other browsers add-ons. The million $ ? is will M$ allow good add-ons or will it be like there store with half working apps.

No not alot of years it was only a like a littile year ago they stop people from installing add-ons from 3rd party sites. Chrome has many good add-ons and user scripts that can bypass there store . But as far M$ they never had good addons . IE 11 was a devolpers nightmare . Maxthon used IE engine and has add-ons but there not as good as other browsers add-ons. The million $ ? is will M$ allow good add-ons or will it be like there store with half working apps.

I thought we were talking about sandboxing here. Why do you even bring up chrome store and add ons? It's like you're not even replying to me.

Did you even read the blog post I linked to? Chrome has been sandboxed since 2008 (a lot of years), and yet it's not limited at all.

Sandboxing has very little to do with the capabilities of an application, if the programmer knows what he/she is doing.

No not alot of years it was only a like a littile year ago they stop people from installing add-ons from 3rd party sites. Chrome has many good add-ons and user scripts that can bypass there store . But as far M$ they never had good addons . IE 11 was a devolpers nightmare . Maxthon used IE engine and has add-ons but there not as good as other browsers add-ons. The million $ ? is will M$ allow good add-ons or will it be like there store with half working apps.

I thought we were talking about sandboxing here. Why do you even bring up chrome store and add ons?

Did you even read the blog post I linked to? Chrome has been sandboxed since 2008, and yet it's not limited at all.

I am , browser sandboxing and Computer sandboxing are two different things . Edge is in the part of the computer were there is no good apps . crippleware what makes you think EDGE will be any better than the rest of its crippleware ? Its yet to be seen there's any value from separating apps from the real PC It just causes crippleware.

I am , browser sandboxing and Computer sandboxing are two different things . Edge is in the part of the computer were there is no good apps . crippleware what makes you think EDGE will be any better than the rest of its crippleware ? Its yet to be seen there's any value from separating apps from the real PC It just causes crippleware.

What makes you think that store/sandboxed programs will NEVER (as you put it) be as good as non-store programs? That's a very big claim.

We'll just have to wait and see. All I know, is that software never stands still.

What makes you think that store/sandboxed programs will NEVER (as you put it) be as good as non-store programs? That's a very big claim.

We'll just have to wait and see. All I know, is that software never stands still.

No tell it happens and becomes better its a reality . Windows apps = fail its always been that way . Ive not used a M$ apps other than windows since like 2006 . Could of, should of , would of dont count . Its like waiting for windows 8.1 to become the worlds #1 O/S its not going to happen . Im a realest and I dont take unproven theories for granted . ;)

Archived