Windows 10 vs. Windows 8.1: Should I upgrade?

DLord

Considering that I am completely satisfied with my 8.1 x64 Enterprise setup (using only desktop mode, along with StartIsBack which has solved the start menu problem), and keeping in mind the privacy/security concerns (Telemetry, etc.) as well as uncertain future payment plan of windows 10 WaaS (windows as a service) -that is after the first year of course- should I upgrade? :think:

Bearing in mind that windows 10 has no advantage over 8.1 when it comes to the performance (aside from DirectX 12 for gaming), and forgetting about all the bells and whistles which are not that appealing to power users, what do you suggest?

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't really need it, no need to upgrade. but if you curious about WIndows 10, try on VMware is the best solution before upgrading to latest OS ;)

If you don't really need it, no need to upgrade. but if you curious about WIndows 10, try on VMware is the best solution before upgrading to latest OS ;)

Well obviously I do not need it, but the point is to take advantage of free upgrade period, that is if we believe in it being really FREE!? :blink:

To try in VM or double boot, my concern is pc's hardware ID getting registered with M$ which could easily cause future complications with using current or any other versions of Windows. I believe once they have your pc's hardware ID, they could easily block or deactivate other windows versions activated through KMS or other not-legitimate methods.

There are already talks about users with legitimate copies being blocked from downgrading after upgrading to Win10. :angry:

Well obviously I do not need it, but the point is to take advantage of free upgrade period, that is if we believe in it being really FREE!? :blink:

To try in VM or double boot, my concern is pc's hardware ID getting registered with M$ which could easily cause future complications with using current or any other versions of Windows. I believe once they have your pc's hardware ID, they could easily block or deactivate other windows versions activated through KMS or other not-legitimate methods.

There are already talks about users with legitimate copies being blocked from downgrading after upgrading to Win10. :angry:

So, you don't need it but you want to get the free upgrade ? :dunno:

you want free upgrade but you concern about your privacy issue ? :dunno:

it's only you who can answer this question ;)

like i said above, if you don't need it, don't upgrade. It's simple like that.

So, you don't need it but you want to get the free upgrade ? :dunno:

you want free upgrade but you concern about your privacy issue ? :dunno:

it's only you who can answer this question ;)

like i said above, if you don't need it, don't upgrade. It's simple like that.

Thank you for the reply, but it seems like I need to better explain myself:

Do I need Win10 like my current pc lacks an OS or I'm not happy with current OS? No.

Do I like to take advantage of the free upgrade period and upgrade to a newer OS? Yes, IF someone can help me find out a way to address my concerns about the new OS, or maybe correct me and show me the advantages of Win10 over 8.1.

The whole point was to discuss the possible pros of the new OS over the mentioned cons. Perhaps someone who has upgraded from 8.1 to 10 would be kind enough to share the experience and also enlighten me if he/she has find some solid way(s) to overcome security/privacy issues.

Does this explain my point of starting this thread? :think:

I am waiting for at least 6 months to iron out the bugs and let them implement changes ect.I agree too that win 10 doesnt have much to offer me yet ,as all I need I can do on 8.1.Also some programmes dont seem to have win 10 support yet .

Upgrade... then downgrade and you get all you want! B)

In fact it is so, Microsoft will not ask - do You want or not, but Microsoft has taken the direction, that everyone, who is connected to the Internet, will get this disease (virus named Windows 10). Microsoft installs innovations themselves into Yours pc and it does not care him whether you want or not.
One day, just after the restart, you discover that you have Windows 10, and that's all.

This is the Microsoft's secret tactics currently. Ie, destroy all previous versions.

The spying that everyone is so worried about with Windows 10, has also been installed into the previous versions of Windows including Windows 8.1. I have Windows 10 on my Laptop and not only find it a vastly supieror OS than Windows 8.1, but it also got some games that would not work on Windows 8.1 to work. I say go ahead and update to Windows 10, I for one am not going back to Windows 8.1. Microsoft is not the evil boogy man that everybody makes them out to be. That's my 2 cents worth, hope this helps. Yours Scott

The spying that everyone is so worried about with Windows 10, has also been installed into the previous versions of Windows including Windows 8.1.

Only if you chose to install them, but if you did they can be uninstalled.

Considering that I am completely satisfied with my 8.1 x64 Enterprise setup (using only desktop mode, along with StartIsBack which has solved the start menu problem), and keeping in mind the privacy/security concerns (Telemetry, etc.) as well as uncertain future payment plan of windows 10 WaaS (windows as a service) -that is after the first year of course- should I upgrade? :think:

Bearing in mind that windows 10 has no advantage over 8.1 when it comes to the performance (aside from DirectX 12 for gaming), and forgetting about all the bells and whistles which are not that appealing to power users, what do you suggest?

I would say to wait at least for the Threshold release later this year before making any decisions. I was running 8.1 when my HD crashed, jumbling everything up. As it turned out, Windows 10 was officially released only a couple of days later, making it the logical OS to use in order to perform a clean install. Since then everything that was good about Windows 8.1 is still here, but instead of terrific new features of the amazing new OS I get the feeling of bugginess and an overall unpolished experience. Windows 10 will be a decent upgrade to 8.1, but only after it receives significant upgrades itself, which is what the "Threshold, wave 2" is all about. I'm too lazy now to revert back to 8.1, especially since there are no critical errors, but had I not needed to reinstall an OS, I would have definitely waited.

On another note, I seem to remember that the Enterprise version of 8.1 is not eligible for a free upgrade anyway, so you don't have to worry about a deadline. Only the Home/Pro/Student, etc. (non-business, non-power user) versions can be upgraded and automatically licensed. If you want to stay with Enterprise, you will need a volume license key, which are currently in short supply. So that's another reason to wait it out a bit, for the keys to become available. Lastly, you should explore the Enterprise features, and the Enterprise LTSB (Long Term Service Branch), which offer different approaches to updating and receiving future Windows features.

Hope you find this helpful.

Upgrade... then downgrade and you get all you want!

From what I've heard, that is not possible. Supposedly there is no downgrade rights for those upgrading to Win10 from earlier versions!

From what I've heard, that is not possible. Supposedly there is no downgrade rights for those upgrading to Win10 from earlier versions!

Well, the mechanics go like this: If you have a licensed Windows 8.1, and you upgrade it, the new Windows 10 installation procedure creates a special hardware key pertaining to your configuration, and binds it with the license. It stores this data somewhere on-line. After you confirm you have activated Windows 10, you can do whatever you like, downgrade, reinstall, do a clean install, etc. for as long as your hardware remains the same, Windows 10 will be permanently activated.

There are two problems with this: 1. It's unclear whether an assigned licence can be activated once upon first boot, and then "shelved", or if Microsoft checks your PC periodically, and has to keep doing so in order for the specific activation to be active and valid. 2. If you change a major piece of hardware (i.e motherboard), you will need to re-activate, or re-authenthicate.

All this of course for non-Enterprise versions of the OS. The Enterprise uses different keys, not in wide circulation.

Well, the mechanics go like this: If you have a licensed Windows 8.1, and you upgrade it, the new Windows 10 installation procedure creates a special hardware key pertaining to your configuration, and binds it with the license. It stores this data somewhere on-line. After you confirm you have activated Windows 10, you can do whatever you like, downgrade, reinstall, do a clean install, etc. for as long as your hardware remains the same, Windows 10 will be permanently activated.

There are two problems with this: 1. It's unclear whether an assigned licence can be activated once upon first boot, and then "shelved", or if Microsoft checks your PC periodically, and has to keep doing so in order for the specific activation to be active and valid. 2. If you change a major piece of hardware (i.e motherboard), you will need to re-activate, or re-authenthicate.

All this of course for non-Enterprise versions of the OS. The Enterprise uses different keys, not in wide circulation.

Two personal facts:

1st:

I'd upgrade two desktops o'mine and my wife's laptop. Use them for about two weeks. Revert them back to Windows 7. All are activated and upgrade still available for all.

2nd:

My cousin upgraded his laptop and after a lot of issues couldn't downgrade flawlessly. Call me and I did a 8.1 clean installation and it is activated.

Well, there you have it. :dunno:

People have been reporting all kinds of stuff. Some have reinstalled the OS on a brand new HDD, and still the activation was preserved. Others have not been so lucky, and had to reactivate after much smaller changes to the system. We don't have enough information or enough cases of people upgrading and downgrading to be sure.

When you revert after an upgrade it makes sense that the old licence would be recognised as well. If you have the upgrade option available, it would indicate that the Win 10 licence will be there again. As far as 8.1 is concerned, I'm honestly not sure whether there were novelties in the way it handles licences. Maybe it was made the same as in Win10, and that's why it survived a clean install?

• 3 weeks later...

Those who would like to block Windows 10 completely from calling home can use this firewall tutorial (using any firewall of personal choice) — it stops any OS short in its tracks.

Coming up shortly is a guide to prevent all such calls from being made — suitable again, for any OS.

Those who would like to block Windows 10 completely from calling home can use this firewall tutorial (using any firewall of personal choice) — it stops any OS short in its tracks.

Forgot to mention — without being forced to use any hardware blocks!

FYI, considering all the suggestions and after many days of gathering information on the issue I have decided to not upgrade to Win10 for the time being and wait for the followings:

1. Initial bugs being ironed out, perhaps wait until SP1 or something.

2. Let the big boys fight over the privacy/security issues and wait for the outcome; since few governments/countries have started investigating the issue and getting ready to move against M$ if necessary.

P.S. As for my Win8.1, I have uninstalled all telemetry updates and blocked all related updates from being installed. Followings are ones I'm staying away from:

kb:2923545

kb:2970228

kb:3035583

kb:2990214

kb:3021917

kb:3068708

kb:2592687

kb:2660075

kb:2506928

kb:2952664

kb:3050265

kb:2726535

kb:2994023

kb:3022345

kb:3022345

kb:2545698

kb:3065987

kb:3075249

kb:3080149

**Please note that M$ does not push all these updates at once. The first step is the last two updates. If you uninstall them or block them from being installed, then they will start push the rest over time. This is my personal experience and it is not based on any verified information.

Archived