Why are Windows XP users still clinging to the past?

steven36

It may be 14 years old and buggier than the front of Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes, but Windows XP is still the world’s third most popular operating system. Why hasn’t it been abandoned?

YsGJSB9.gif

Windows 10 is now one month old and, according to Microsoft, it’s been installed on around 75 million computers so far

With some 1.5 billion Windows PCs in the world, according to Microsoft, Windows 10 still has a long way to go before it could be described as a success’. More importantly, many, many more people need to install it before it surpasses the 14-year old Windows XP in popularity.

It’s well known that Windows XP was a smash hit, but that doesn’t fully explain why so many people are still using it when Microsoft has abandoned it. That makes it a sitting duck for hackers and cyber criminals looking to steal your personal data, and there’s not a great deal you can do about it — other than upgrade. So, Windows XP users, why haven’t you yet?

Admittedly, some people’s hands are tied because they rely on software that’s only compatible with Windows XP or its ancient version of Internet Explorer. Even so, that doesn’t prevent them simply transferring their antiquated set-up to a ‘virtual PC’ within a more recent version of the operating system.

We’ve covered this approach before and it’s incredibly easy (it works as well for Windows XP as it does for Windows 10). Once set up, Windows XP and its software all run in a window just like any other Windows 10 application.

It needs a reasonably powerful PC to run another ‘PC’ as an application in this way, but Windows XP is none the wiser — it’s blissfully unaware in its Windows version of The Matrix. Better still this can be set up for nothing using free software like VirtualBox.

This won’t fix hardware compatibilities, of course, since a printer, scanner or other device needs to work in the ‘host’ operating system before it will work in a virtual PC.

Annoyingly, even some relatively new hardware doesn’t have a Windows 10 driver yet, although drivers for Windows 7 and 8 should also work — and only the very oldest hardware won’t be covered by those.

Windows 10 costs too much
The big incentive for upgrading to Windows 10, of course, is that it’s also free — but only for current Windows 7 and 8 users. Anyone wanting to upgrade from Windows XP will need to pay around £78 for the privilege — and it’s easy to see that as an unwarranted expense when a PC is otherwise running well.
But is it? Let’s stress again that Windows XP no longer receives update from Microsoft and so really isn’t safe to use online, even if you know what you’re doing with internet security.

So the attitude of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” doesn’t really apply here. Sticking with Windows XP for this long after its use-by date is like driving a car that’s failed its MOT and can’t be maintained because the manufacturer no longer makes spare parts. That £78 upgrade won’t seem so expensive once someone has cloned your credit card using an unfixed security hole.

I can’t afford a new PC
The other major objection against upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 10 is that it means buying a new PC. There’s no denying that Windows 10 will run like a dream on a new computer with the latest hardware — and that needn’t break the bank.

New laptops capable of running Windows 10 start from less than £200, for example, although you’ll need to perform the free upgrade to Windows 10 yourself.

But don’t automatically assume that your current Windows XP PC won’t run Windows 10. Its minimum requirements may be higher than those for Windows XP, but a 1GHz processor and 1GB of memory are hardly high end. PCs with that specification first went on sale alongside Windows XP in 2001, so the chances are you’re already using something better.

Even so, you can still play it safe by running the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your PC can handle Windows 10 — the minimum requirements for both operating systems are the same.

I don’t like the look of Windows 10
Of course the other main reason many people cite for not moving from Windows XP to Windows 10 is simply that the operating system is different — and anything different to what they’re used to is bad by default.

It’s true that Windows 10 does look very different to Windows XP, but that’s because Windows XP is practically an antique in computer terms. It was launched just before the original iPod, for example, and there can’t be many people wishing they still used one of those, rather than a slimmer, lighter iPod Touch with ten times the features and three times the capacity, all for half the price.

Windows 10 doesn’t look dramatically different to Windows XP, either. The slick interface still features a Start menu that even a Windows 95 user would recognise and the same conventions apply throughout.

In short, if you’re worrying about Windows 10 being confusing, you’re missing out. Yes, it will take some time to get used to and it’s not without its problems (it’s only one month old, after all), but it’s light years ahead of Windows XP.

The clock is ticking
And finally, there are always complaints that any attempt to encourage people to move to Microsoft’s latest operating system is simply a scam of some sort. It’s true that no one (possibly not even Microsoft) knows will happen with the ‘versionless’ Windows 10 in a few years’ time, but that doesn’t mean you won’t be better off by using it. Or even Windows 7 or 8, for that matter.

The most important thing to do is to upgrade to something more recent than the mouldering Windows XP, even if you think it’s still the bee’s knees. You’re living on borrowed time if you don’t.

So, Windows XP users — are you still hanging onto your technological antique, or have our arguments finally persuaded you to upgrade? Let us know in the Comments.

Source

• Replies 58
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Windows XP users can move to Linux, sticking with XP is a very dangerous game.

Hmm, the only thing stranger than folk (like me) sticking with Win XP is the obsessive insistence by others to pressure us to change to Win 7 or 8 or 10. Usually these people are the same ones who defend "internet freedom" and oppose attempted draconian rule by governments. Well guys, we also have "freedom of choice" so live with it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pure, unadulterated balderdash. It's been almost 17 months since Microsoft ended "support" for XP. Isn't it about time the dreaded Hacker Hordes attacked?

I've been using XP since shortly after it was released. I've installed no updates since SP3, and I've never had any malware problems. I have a lot more confidence in any decent antivirus software than in Microsoft updates!

For purely subjective reasons, I dislike 7. The less said about Vista and 8, the better. As for 10, the jury is still out. But all versions past XP use ludicrous amounts of disk space and RAM, and give me not one single thing I want that XP doesn't give me. I make my programs as compact and efficient as I can--why should I use bloatware that others have written? Yes, I have the disk space and RAM, but it's a matter of principle.

As far as i know some of the big Banks,Supermarkets and Health services STILL use Windows XP. Apparently none of them employ anyone smart enough to use any system past Windows XP :)

ALL Windows OSes are dangerous. I still have systems with Windows 98 and XP and they are every bit as secure as Windows 7 or 8.1. If you know how to lock your systems down you can use any OS you want and stay safe.

Apparently none of them employ anyone smart enough to use any system past Windows XP

How 'smart' do you have to be to install Windows 10, an OS that reports everything on your system to Microsoft who in turn gives it to MarkMonitor. Other than the 120 GB of malware in my collection, I have never had a system that was infected with anything unless I intentionally infected it for training purposes.

Windows XP users can move to Linux, sticking with XP is a very dangerous game.

is not dangerous, if you enable POSReady 2009, you will have security updates upto 2019.

The reason is very simple - their systems do not work with other software, are compatible only with XP.

I build my own systems. Windows XP runs extremely fast on modern hardware, even faster than newer Windows in some cases. The best reason I've found to keep using Windows XP is simply because it annoys people :)

We already know people still use XP but out all the reasons posted here I dont see one good reason why any one would want to use obsolete systems.

You sure didn't sell me on the idea that I should use something again that Ive not used since 2010 that I used for 9 years before I left it. .

I can tell you why some still use it though Its Microsoft's fault they should never give those extra years of support .And software vendors would no longer make software for it .

I remember back when 98 se ended support they still made software for a time for it . But now they dont make it anymore .

As time goes on less and less vendors will support it to the point you want be able to find and antivirus that even updates for it . The clock is ticking there's no future in the past , By the way have fun shopping at old apps .com and remember nothing last forever . :lol:

ALL Windows OSes are dangerous. I still have systems with Windows 98 and XP and they are every bit as secure as Windows 7 or 8.1. If you know how to lock your systems down you can use any OS you want and stay safe.

Apparently none of them employ anyone smart enough to use any system past Windows XP

How 'smart' do you have to be to install Windows 10, an OS that reports everything on your system to Microsoft who in turn gives it to MarkMonitor.

WHat thread posted a news story saying markmonitor. I dont want different news stories copied from the original or posted after the original I want the original news story posted on this forum. It started the hysteria about windows ten collecting information from your hard drive and reporting it directly to markmonitor. On how much I really want to believe it and believe me I have believed alot of crap in my time which is completely outrageous (I can be gullable I have improved on it I used to be very gullable and I am trying to fix it). Its just the thought of the speculation about microsoft collecting data and reporting it to markmonitor as if markmonitor is paying them is insane.

Oh and spectrum doesnt everyone know installing point of sale ready security updates is not good to do and not recommended on systems which arent point of sale ready..

WHat thread posted a news story saying markmonitor. I dont want different news stories copied from the original or posted after the original I want the original news story posted on this forum. It started the hysteria about windows ten collecting information from your hard drive and reporting it directly to markmonitor. On how much I really want to believe it and believe me I have believed alot of crap in my time which is completely outrageous (I can be gullable I have improved on it I used to be very gullable and I am trying to fix it). Its just the thought of the speculation about microsoft collecting data and reporting it to markmonitor as if markmonitor is paying them is insane.

Oh and spectrum doesnt everyone know installing point of sale ready security updates is not good to do and not recommended on systems which arent point of sale ready..

You could say some are more paranoid than others . anything is dangerous driving a car is dangerous if you dont ware a seat belt it could more dangerous . Me myself have not caught a virus since I stopped using XP . Newer computers are safer than ever if you do the things needed to keep them that way.. but if you're reckless they could be dangerous.

As far as using some update hack to get a few updates that's not real security . The businesses that do still use XP many are wasting millions of dollars just to keep getting updates . That's procrastination and wasting money . But they have the money to waste on it . Most home users dont have that kind of money. Microsoft are selling windows 10 laptop for under 200 dollars that's better than any old xp system :P

Windows 10 (Skynet) is for sure more dangerous!

I can block M$ with a firewall but I cant make M$ ever support XP ever again , so how is it more safe ? and even if they was to support it again witch will never happen by the way.. I could care less about using a old O/S that used from 2001 -2010.

Israeli_Eagle

I can block M$ with a firewall but I cant make M$ ever support XP ever again so how is it more safe ? and even if they was to support it again witch never happen by the way.. I could less using a O/S that used from 2001 -2010.

Many parts you can firewall, but never fully. Because the Skynet is already inside of the OS!!

Pure, unadulterated balderdash. It's been almost 17 months since Microsoft ended "support" for XP. Isn't it about time the dreaded Hacker Hordes attacked?

I've been using XP since shortly after it was released. I've installed no updates since SP3, and I've never had any malware problems. I have a lot more confidence in any decent antivirus software than in Microsoft updates!

For purely subjective reasons, I dislike 7. The less said about Vista and 8, the better. As for 10, the jury is still out. But all versions past XP use ludicrous amounts of disk space and RAM, and give me not one single thing I want that XP doesn't give me. I make my programs as compact and efficient as I can--why should I use bloatware that others have written? Yes, I have the disk space and RAM, but it's a matter of principle.

Using more disk space and RAM doesn't automatically qualify as "bloat". These things grow for a reason: for software to use them for faster, and more efficient operation (well, mostly RAM anyway). No one classifies programs using faster CPU's as bloatware, yet RAM and disk space keep getting the hit.

Agreed, Windows is hardly the more efficient OS out there but that includes XP, too. It uses less RAM/disk space because it's old, not because it's more efficient. If 7, 8 and 10 were less efficient than XP, there would be no Microsoft today.

In the 13 years that I have been using Win XP I had a virus one time, in the early days of using it, when I was a baby noob with almost zero knowledge of computers and prone to click on things without knowing what I was doing. Since that one instance I have learned a lot more stuff, even basic stuff, that I really needed to know. I have my anti-virus internet security, Malwarebytes Pro, Malwarebytes anti-exploit, Spybot Search and Destroy and I take care where I go on the internet. I don't use my computer for gaming...never!! I visit the same range of sites regularly, which means if there is any suspicious activity on one of them I notice it immediately...if it's invisible activity then I rely on my aforementioned security programs. There is no impregnable Operating System...even governments get hacked.

It's like I own a faithful little Volkswagon and my neighbours all have BMW's , Mustangs and Ferrari's and keep saying to me "Why do you still have that old Volkswagon? Why don't you change to another, better car?". Listen carefully neighbour, I will not repeat myself, I like my little Volkswagon, it gets me from A to B......now go away and play with yourself!!! :P :P :P

I can block M$ with a firewall but I cant make M$ ever support XP ever again so how is it more safe ? and even if they was to support it again witch never happen by the way.. I could less using a O/S that used from 2001 -2010.

Many parts you can firewall, but never fully. Because the Skynet is already inside of the OS!!

Then firewall it with a router/network device then if you think it will foil all software Firewalls. The OS is not a God, it isn't going to break through a hardware firewall.

Using more disk space and RAM doesn't automatically qualify as "bloat". These things grow for a reason: for software to use them for faster, and more efficient operation (well, mostly RAM anyway). No one classifies programs using faster CPU's as bloatware, yet RAM and disk space keep getting the hit.

Agreed, Windows is hardly the more efficient OS out there but that includes XP, too. It uses less RAM/disk space because it's old, not because it's more efficient. If 7, 8 and 10 were less efficient than XP, there would be no Microsoft today.

My OS is happy to give Chrome 10GB of RAM and use 12 on straight up caching. But as long as performance is good, let it. If I sit at 5% RAM, I'm wasting 32GB for nothing.

Israeli_Eagle

Then firewall it with a router/network device then if you think it will foil all software Firewalls. The OS is not a God, it isn't going to break through a hardware firewall.

Impossible, sorry. But first you have understand real assembly code and also internet.

Israeli_Eagle

My OS is happy to give Chrome 10GB of RAM and use 12 on straight up caching. But as long as performance is good, let it. If I sit at 5% RAM, I'm wasting 32GB for nothing.

Also only kids & noobs would ever use Chrome... :D

Impossible, sorry. But first you have understand real assembly code and also internet.

But what you're saying when you speak of assembly code and also the internet , If you're that paranoid you better stay away from the internet all together . Because M$ are not the only one who collect data every website almost on the web does and many products not made by M$ does too. Because Data Collecting happens regardless .

Israeli_Eagle

But what you're saying when you speak of assembly code and also the internet , If you're that paranoid you better stay away from the internet all together . Because M$ are not the only one who collect data every website almost on the web does and many products not made by M$ does too.

I'm not paranoid, but officially specialist about that. Well... But is your problem, not mine. So enjoy it! :lol:

But what you're saying when you speak of assembly code and also the internet , If you're that paranoid you better stay away from the internet all together . Because M$ are not the only one who collect data every website almost on the web does and many products not made by M$ does too.

I'm not paranoid, but officially specialist about that. Well... But is your problem, not mine. So enjoy it! :lol:

6IE6Qn6.jpg

Ive been on the net like a decade and a half and no Government spooks have ever bothered me in real life . And in tell it was to happen i would call you paranoid If that ever changes Ill let you know. :P :D

Archived