HOSTS file and Cryptographic Services in Windows 10

HX1

I always used Histsman to edit the HOSTS file becuse the UI provided a nice method and backup as well as some good features alongside these operations.

I tried today to change the HOSTS file and tried to use hpHOST Ads and Tracking Domains to see about blocking some annoyances in my system.. Already running PeerBlock but need something else.. like this to make it happen from what I am reading..

After updating the HOSTS.. it became locked and I had no way or reverting.. System stated that Cryptographic Services was using the file and I could not do anything on my system.. I could not stop the service either..

Any experience input here would be great.. other than killing the service all together, that will allow this to happen? Or a better method possibly?

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's normal because once you make change to your hosts file the system update your dns cache and since it became a big file with all of those hosts you have to wait until it finishes before modifying it again. I don't know why it's the cryptographic service though, it should have been be the DNS cache one instead.

Peerblock is better for it, but it seems discontinued and I doubt it supports hosts file format.

Peerblock is still working.. it is the lists that have become the problem.. updating has gotten to be once every 15 days or so per file without an iBlocklist subscription.. The Ads and Trackers list is also paid only..

It may be working but no update since almost two years and they still have issues on their bug tracker.

If only it would have been compatible with addblock lists and/or hosts file format or such…

Archived