Downgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 7

Johnny Doe

Hello folks,

I recently made the descision to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 as soon as it came out. Now I decided to go back to windows 7 and encountered a problem. My keyboard and mouse doesn't work on the windows 7 login screen. Then I try to boot it in any available safe mode and the same thing occurred. Before it gets to the login menu i press the caps lock button to see if it lights up and it does until the login menu where the caps lock button light is stuck to whatever off or on before it gets to the login menu. Then I boot it into the System Recovery Options where it lists the Startup Repair, System Restore.. Command Prompt. I then can move the mouse and type whatever into the cmd. And thats where i'm stuck. I was considering adding the synaptics drivers for my system to a usb and try to execute the installation file for the driver through via the system recovery cmd but I don't know the command line to do so. I know the volume letter of the usb with the driver files using the diskpart line...

You guys have any idea on whats going on? Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's weird, you used revert back to previous installation of Win7 and it didn't keep previous driver software? (I've never tried that button myself, thought it works without any problems)

I Google searched Windows cmd recovery command driver install and found: http://superuser.com/questions/531594/windows-how-to-install-driver-from-recovery-command-prompt

Otherwise you might have to integrate your drivers into Win7 setup & create backup of working Windows to avoid reinstalling everything from scratch whenever you run into problems.

Also, why did you decide to revert back to old Win7?

This Just suggestion at least you should have both.

Are you able to use your mouse after unplug and plugging it again after it got stuck? Also try this: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f15/solved-mouse-and-keyboard-not-working-at-welcome-screen-570692.html#post3824988

First thing to do is make BIOS settings defaults and check legacy settings in BIOS.

Try these before trying my suggestion.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/mouse-and-keyboard-do-not-work-at-login-screen/7097129d-2a2d-4e13-b7ef-d51300b4acf8?auth=1

My suggestion would be a different way to fix this. However, it is worth trying.

I'm sure that you used downgrade option via settings in Windows 10. So, your Windows 7 should be activated/ready to activate. I'd recommend you to do a clean install of Windows 7 and do not connect your system to internet until you are able to login. This should fix this issue permanently as MS try to create issues so that you would think Win10 is better.

pr1xsel,

ive google searched and found that same link and those options dont work. my system says it doesnt recognize pnputil (possibly due to that i cannot run cmd in admin) and rundll32 line doesnt do anything.

Also how can I integrate my drivers into win7 setup & also create a backup in the current situation?

Ive decided to go back to win7 because Win10 just loaded my comp with crap and certain things like cortona was being a pain in my ass after disabling it, it still loads up after continuing ending its process via task manager...

vissha,

Im usig the current keyboard & mouse built into the laptop which doesnt work on login and ive tried using an external mouse/keyboard thus not working also.

tried that first link and went through the whole topic and found no solution.

BIOS settings set to default and legacy settings are enabled and went through the second link and none has helped.

I wouldnt mind trying your suggestion but i do not have the win7 disc and dont have a backup of the current windows.

I know this sounds strange.. but how long did you wait for the system to become active before hitting the power key..

What type of system?

And is it a touch screen by chance?

I ask this because there could be a few ways to try to get into your computer this way..

I also may be unclear.. but have did you try a usb mouse, and using the ease of access on-screen keyboard?

To me with the missing files I would see about searching for them.. possibly replacing them if you have a disc you can boot from and then drop the necessary files.. Usually you can use the last know good configuration if drivers go a little wierd.. The one you stated was missing s Plug and Play.. relative to your default monitor and hardware .. usually not a problem unless you have installed some wierd chipset or other driver which effected firmware without backwards compatibility for Windows 7. Surprised the video is working if this is the case..

Did you make any BIOS changes?

Buts that is all theory..

If you do not want to waste your time, a good idea is to do everything from scratch, it means that I recommend you do a clean installation.
But why Windows 7, somehow do not understand.

But if You decided so, then, of course.

You are not the first person to experience problems in returning your system to Win 7. I told all my friends to make an image of their windows 7 drive before upgrading and if they decided to return to 7 then reimage their systems. I returned all my systems to their original OS, I see no reason to run Windows 10, the only advantage is for Microsoft. However i do have VMs with 10 only for the purpose of experimenting with hacks and malware. Windows 10 is kind of like a sieve, full of holes, and it can't be secured. Don't believe what Microsoft says, historically they lie. When NT came out they claimed it was C2 Secure. What they didn't say was it was only secure if the machine was placed in a limited access vault and was not connected to a modem or any type of network. Likewise, Windows 10 is only secure as long as it is relegated to an esd, iso, or dvd format, once installed all bets are off.

... how can I integrate drivers into setup?
... but I don't have the Win7 disc and don't have a backup of the current windows.

1. If you have access to another PC, then you can try integrating stuff with: https://www.ntlite.com/

2. Do you need .ISO file of Win7?
Here's link to old topic with tor links & .ISO information (SHA1, File size, name etc): http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/161210-windows-7-sp1-phone-activation-download-links-repository/

If you search this way then you can find many servers that provide free .ISO (good if you don't like Torrents, just verify the file size & if got time then also SHA1) https://www.google.com/search?q=en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939.iso < example of US Win7 pro.

If wish to add the . ISO file into USB stick then easiest would be to use Rufus: http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Captain Caveman

Pull the Battery out and then start the laptop.. it worked for a bud of mine.. no idea why..

hx1,

i waited for the system to fully boot up before i hit the power button as soon as it finish the downgrade process. i use a Qosmio and its not a touchscreen. and yes i tried using an external mouse/keyboard it failed. I havent made any changes to the BIOS.

kalju,

I have some stuff on there that i havent backed up.

pr1xsel,

ntlite i had a few problems doing so, so i didnt use it.

and i received the iso file but using it to recover drivers didnt work.

captain caveman,

lol that didnt work also.

Archived