Requesting some advice on cost effective DD-WRT OpenVPN to augment a home network...

CODYQX4

OK, I have a home network using a Cable Modem, Wi-Fi Router that is incapable of DD-WRT, but has LAN backup and I'd rather not swap out for a whole new router.

There's also a Bridge Mode router that just is used to extend the Wi-Fi.

I was thinking that perhaps, I could also set the current Router to Bridge Mode into a DD-WRT router, which would connect to the cable modem.

Basically from: WiFi Extender via WiFi -> WiFi Router via Ethernet -> Cable Modem to WiFi Extender via WiFi -> WiFi Router via Ethernet -> DD-WRT VPN Gateway -> Cable Modem.

The idea is I want everything to default over VPN unless I setup an exception. Would this work? If so, knowing that I'd want to use the existing Wi-Fi Router, all I really care is the the DD-WRT be gigabit and not too underpowered to lag and drop packets.

Otherwise, I have to get a new Wireless Router, and I'd want one of the top tier ones that support DD-WRT (likely ASUS AC2400 or Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200), and I'd setup the old router to be just a backup device.

• Replies 5
  • Views 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using an ASUS RT-N66U with Merlin ASUS-WRT and Open VPN with PIA VPN setup in it works well... PIA costs $39 year.

http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/

I do have the PIA subscription already. Do you think I could add that router into my existing setup (use it as the official router, but it isn't providing Wi-Fi, the current router is)? Reason being is that is an N router, which is fine, if the AC router I have is wired into that and then wired into the Cable Modem.

As long as you put it in bridge mode I would think that would work.

That will probably turn off the Firewall on it though. Don't know haven't tried it.

Wouldn't just turning off the Wireless radios in the setting do what you want?

Hm, looked at the Merlin Firmware, and it looks like they have the OpenVPN setup that I need.

I might get an ASUS RT Router and make my current one just a LAN Backup device.

Archived