Adobe Flash steadily heading toward demise

steven36

After multiple malvertising campaigns on major ad networks, including Yahoo and AdSpirit.de, as well as the disclosure of major vulnerabilities, companies have begun banning Adobe Flash ads on their websites.

Just this past week, both Amazon and Google moved to double down on Flash ads and the possible risk they pose to users. For its part, Google said in a blog post that it would officially begin pausing Flash ads by default around Sept. 1 on its Chrome browser.

The company said most Flash ads are automatically converted to HTML5.

Amazon plans to phase out Flash ads entirely at the start of next month. In an alert on its advertising guidelines page, the company wrote that its decision stems from Google pausing ads, as well as existing browser setting for Mozilla Firefox and Apple Safari.

“This change ensures customers continue to have a positive, consistent experience on Amazon, and that ads displayed across the site function properly for optimal performance,” the alert said.

Flash's apparent demise wasn't a surprise, at least for many. Steve Jobs wrote in a 2010 blog post that he thought Flash belonged to the older “PC era.”

“New open standards created in the mobile era, such as HTML5, will win on mobile devices (and PCs too),” he said. “Perhaps Adobe should focus more on creating great HTML5 tools for the future, and less on criticizing Apple for leaving the past behind.”

Source

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone explain why HTML5 won't then become Target #1 and be just as bad? The words "open source" don't cover it, as we know very well with numerous recent examples.

Can anyone explain why HTML5 won't then become Target #1 and be just as bad? The words "open source" don't cover it, as we know very well with numerous recent examples.

It already is exploited

Safest way to watch videos is to download them and watch in a media player blocked with firewall :P

The words "open source" don't cover it

Also saying Open Source is more safe than proprietary is a big myth it depends on the devopler .

Myths

Open source software is more/less secure than proprietary

"I've done a lot of work on this, there's no objective evidence either way. On average, good open source is about as good as good proprietary, and [bad] about as bad as bad proprietary," said Levy.

Asking whether any piece of software is secure is too broad a question, according to Levy. A more valuable approach, he added, is to ask what security guarantees your organisation wants from a piece of software and then ask whether the software delivers that.

Many eyes makes for secure code

The idea that, because open source code is open for anyone to look at, its security will have been subjected to greater and more worthwhile scrutiny is questionable, said Levy.

Of everyone who had downloaded the Linux kernel code he asked: "'Who thinks they are competent to judge the security of the Linux kernel?' Downloading 21 million lines of Linux code and saying 'I've got the code and I've looked through it', so I can convince myself it's secure, is often nonsense.

"Many eyes give you many eyelashes, and not a lot else."

http://www.zdnet.com/article/six-open-source-security-myths-debunked-and-eight-real-challenges-to-consider/

Also saying Open Source is free is not really true ether and if a devopler dont have the money to fund his project it could get outdated or not really developed right and be a security risk .

Open Source distros are full of abandoned software .

http://www.cyop.net/truth_about_open_source_software.html

Most of my software is shareware or proprietary mixed in with a few open source apps it just depends can the app do what i want it to do.

HTML5 exploited or not, Flash was designed to be insecure, and just runs like frozen sh*t. Everything gets hacked.

If Flash was a person, it'd be the kind of person I'd push down an escalator and laugh at.

I do hate how many gaping holes they are adding, by providing features for "web apps", and 95% of it is really only used to track you.

HTML5 exploited or not, Flash was designed to be insecure, and just runs like frozen sh*t. Everything gets hacked.

If Flash was a person, it'd be the kind of person I'd push down an escalator and laugh at.

I do hate how many gaping holes they are adding, by providing features for "web apps", and 95% of it is really only used to track you.

Thing about Flash though You can turn it off . If you catch a virus from it's because you was uninformed . HTML5 is built in to browsers and cant be turned off but can somewhat be contorted with script blockers, canvas blockers and ad blockers . But if you're not a Computer geek and come to forums like these you would never know and be vulnerable. Once something is made public its just a matter of time tell its exploited. HTML5 has been around a good while and is exploited every day. Google promotes HTML5 and are trying to replace one set of exploits for another set . (It gives you a False sense of security. )

Archived