Google Chrome's notifications won't support Windows 10's Action Center

steven36

Google has valid reasons for Chrome to not support Action Center, but it's still the latest blow in a longstanding feud with Microsoft.

UXVp4Le.jpg

Now that Windows 10’s slick Action Center provides a home for system notifications, it seems like a no-brainer for Google to slip notifications pushed out by the Chrome browser in there, right? Wrong.

The Chrome team has no plans to support Windows 10’s Action Center functionality, as first reported by Neowin. A Chrome support moderator named “Ho” updated a feature request for Action Center support to “WontFix,” saying the following:

“Thanks for the input and ideas! We’ve discussed this quite a bit and decided not to integrate with the system level notification at this time. It would create a weird state where Chrome behaves differently on Win 10 than on Win 7/8 and developers of extensions/websites wouldn’t know what they design for. Maybe we can revisit it in a few years when most users are on Win 10 :)”

The story behind the story: While the explanation seems reasonable enough on the surface, Microsoft and Google have been locked in a war regarding feature support for their respective services—with users all-too-often caught in the crossfire.

Microsoft’s native Calendar app removed Google Calendar support in Windows 8.1—though it returned in Windows 10—and in 2013 Google removed support for Sync, which threatened service for Exchange ActiveSync users with Windows Phones. (Google and Microsoft eventually hammered out an agreement to delay the shutdown until Windows Phone 8.1 added CalDAV and CardDAV support.) Google has also refused to release apps for its services on Windows Phone or in the Windows Store. Things got so nasty that Microsoft released its own version of YouTube for Windows, which led to a brief, but bitter slapfight with Google.

Push me, pull me
The Chrome team’s refusal to embrace Action Center reeks of more of the same, especially since Google's been stealthily sneaking Chrome OS in through Windows' back door for a while now, but Ho provided some additional context in a follow-up comment after receiving some push-back:

“To be clear, this is not a matter of just piping notifications to the OS for free. All notification (systems) are not the same. Chrome notifications allow to take actions right from the notifications, they come directly from an extension/website, they can require active dismissal, and so on.

On Win 10, using the native notification system would mean that all notifications could show briefly before disappearing but they could also not show, depending on a user setting. All notifications would show as coming from Chrome. They would not be actionable, and so on. As a developer, it makes quite a difference if I design something that allows users to take an action or something that merely informs them and whether it will be a pop up or a silent addition to the notification center.”

Well, when you put it that way, delaying support for Action Center sort of makes sense—though it’ll no doubt sit poorly with users already grumpy about the Microsoft/Google pissing match. Refusing to support a central system notification system that every other app uses seems pretty anti-user as well, sure to sow some confusion.

Google does have a point, though: Chrome's notification system is more fully-featured than Windows 10's. Though Microsoft's OS does support actionable notifications, they would all appear as Chrome notifications in the Action Center, and Chrome developers would indeed need to put in extra work to support both Windows 10's notifications and Chrome's Windows 7 and 8 notifications. Here’s hoping Microsoft adds more granular notification options in the future so Chrome ditches its reluctance to Action Center—or reveals its hesitance as truly being pettiness.

Editors note: The last paragraph was tweaked to include mention of Windows 10's actionable notifications.

Source

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Windows 10 is really still beta and should not have been released this early. I still have a couple of programs that are not yet compatible.

Windows 10 is really still beta and should not have been released this early. I still have a couple of programs that are not yet compatible.

So , I had bugs in Windows 7 up tell they released SP1 .

95 had a pack that came out latter , Win 98 had SE , XP had 3 SP, Vista had 2 SP and Windows 7 had one and Win 8 had 8.1 . Windows never has been finished all the way when 1st released .

If you cant deal with some bugs you needed to waited tell latter on to install it . :lol:

You are absolutely right, Windows is only the beta of since October 26, 2012. And it is not known, that it comes out of this ever again.

You are absolutely right, Windows is only the beta of since October 26, 2012. And it is not known, that it comes out of this ever again.

Windows 8.1 there is nothing wrong with it except for the fact it didn't have a start menu and areo glass . Things I installed myself . It was very stable .

Windows 8.1 there is nothing wrong with it except for the fact it didn't have a start menu and areo glass . Things I installed myself . It was very stable .

I'm with steven on this one. Win 7 SP1 no problems and I have had nothing wrong with Windows 8.1, besides the Start Menu. I could care less about the aero glass. I went back and forth between Start8 and Classic Shell (in Win 8.1) and completely disabled the Charms Bar and never went into the metro interface and I was quite happy with the look and feel and snappyness of the O/S. Win 8.1 is good if you know how to tweak it nicely.

I'm with steven on this one. Win 7 SP1 no problems and I have had nothing wrong with Windows 8.1, besides the Start Menu. I could care less about the aero glass. I went back and forth between Start8 and Classic Shell (in Win 8.1) and completely disabled the Charms Bar and never went into the metro interface and I was quite happy with the look and feel and snappyness of the O/S. Win 8.1 is good if you know how to tweak it nicely.

when I 1st installed Win 8.1 it still rolled out to the windows apps so i had to tweak it to startup on desktop but they stopped it from doing this in a update latter on . As far as the charms bar it didn't bother me I used 8.1 so long i knew how to run it without a start menu even even though i didn't use any windows store apps.

They don't support it on OS X either, not sure why this has to be a "beef with MS".

Now, killing Push, and saying use the Gmail app, then not making one for Windows? Yeah, that was directly targeted against MS.

They don't support it on OS X either, not sure why this has to be a "beef with MS".

Now, killing Push, and saying use the Gmail app, then not making one for Windows? Yeah, that was directly targeted against MS.

I wouldn't know only thing I use any more by Google is there search and YouTube once in a blue moon . I stop using Gmail way back when they changed there TOS years ago Im not prejudice I dont use M$ mail or there apps ether or even Yahoo ether Or Do I use Facebook and my phone is a burner and one that plugs in the wall :D

Archived