Windows 10 Start menu replacements shifting like hot cakes

steven36

You had one job, Microsoft. One job

FpFQ4uf.jpg

Of course there's a Downfall mashup of this

Microsoft had one job to do with Windows 10 – but it looks like it's failed to get even that right.

Start Menu replacements for Windows 10 are moving almost as fast as they did for Windows 8, which didn't have a Start menu at all, according to Brad Wardell, whose company makes the most popular commercial drop-in Start menu.

Far from being rendered obsolete by the return of the Start Menu in Windows 10, Wardell said demand for his Start10 utility is surprisingly high.

pFbIcJ1.jpg

​Start10 lets you choose a more familiar Start Menu

"It's about 2/3 what Start8 was at this stage. It's been somewhere between 15,000 to 20,000 a day so far, in terms of downloads. Start8 was doing closer to 20,000 to 25,000 per day at this point," Stardock founder Wardell told MS fanboi blog Windows Central.

It was easy to see why people wanted a Start Menu in Windows 8: Sinofsky's monster didn't have one at all. That broke 17 years of habit (cue the inevitable Downfall parody).

But why would anyone want a replacement for the Windows 10 version, which Microsoft boasts has been seen by "five million" participants in the Windows Insider preview programme?

Wardell thinks it's because users don't like Live Tiles, which remind some of advertising, while the separation of the new data-sucker Cortana means the whole experience becomes cumbersome.

Windows 95 had a search button, while in 2007 Microsoft has integrated a real-time search field into Vista. Perhaps it's another example of the five million Windows fanbois not being representative of the needs of Microsoft's real, paying, working users.

s3w8zWm.jpg

What happens when self-selecting fanbois design your OS? Have a guess.​

Stardock began life from student Wardell's dorm room, where he developed games and UI tweaks for OS/2, and that's pretty much what it still does today, only it's a lot bigger. Its theme engine, WindowBlinds, was launched in 1998 and over the years Stardock introduced widgets and docks, while the game side pioneered digital distribution.

Start8 was a small side project that accompanied the launch of Windows 8 in and became a surprise smash, adding back Windows 7 or XP style Start Menus, while a companion utility, ModernMix allowed TIFKAM apps to run in a window.

Start8 sold well despite the availability of fine free alternatives, the best of which is probably Classic Shell.

Over the years, Microsoft has recruited heavily from Stardock to beef up its own UI development teams (for the Longhorn/Vista compositor, for example), apparently having forgotten how Windows works.

Source

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
donkey-girl

I overlive the start butom, self there is thing that I could use but learn pin what I need so that start butom is not that big problem, but it could make it easy for many who want it as simple as possiple..

MidnightDistortions

Not complaining here, at least it's easy to use W10 and can install classic shell or other 3rd party start menu after installing security updates. With W8 the interface was too much of a headache to go through that process. I'm glad MS at least has a start menu with basic functionality.

The Start is great... "What happens when self-selecting fanbois design your OS? Have a guess.​" this has NOTHING to do with fanbois. ANYONE was and still is FREE to join as an Windows Insider, if those guys from theregister.co.uk wanted Windows 7's start should have simply sign up as an Insider and ask for it. Microsoft decided to keep the Start like it is in build 10240 simply because the majority was OK with it. No one forces anyone to switch to Windows 10. Stick with Windows XP/Vista/7 and GET EVERYONE ELSE THAT ENJOYS Windows 8 and 10 a BREAK!​

The Start is great... "What happens when self-selecting fanbois design your OS? Have a guess.​" this has NOTHING to do with fanbois. ANYONE was and still is FREE to join as an Windows Insider, if those guys from theregister.co.uk wanted Windows 7's start should have simply sign up as an Insider and ask for it. Microsoft decided to keep the Start like it is in build 10240 simply because the majority was OK with it. No one forces anyone to switch to Windows 10. Stick with Windows XP/Vista/7 and GET EVERYONE ELSE THAT ENJOYS Windows 8 and 10 a BREAK!​

So because you like it.....They can't change it to their own preference?

Anybody just think this article was created by/for Stardock? There is just much less chance that anybody would use/buy their software for Win10. The new menu looks fine to me from what I have seen.

Windows 10 sucks so bad. I've spent hours trying to get all the Bull$**t out of it just because I don't own a Touch Screen.

So because you like it.....They can't change it to their own preference?

v

if he likes it no problem..the ones doing all the whining here are windows haters.... of any flavor of windows

OrbingStorm

I used to love windows but im growing to hate it.I would spend a day happily installing the newest version and reloading programmes ect.Now i just see it as a necessary evil.Trouble is advertising money and selling apps is taking over the experience.

My mind cannot possibly understand what the problem is with this start button or Start menu.

Everything works perfectly and I have not come across any problems.

Rather, I would say that it is a much more comfortable and contains more features than any alternative.
PS. I have personally tested almost all available alternatives.

Perhaps the only problem is that someone simply does not know how to use it.

Crying about it and bashing Microsoft for not inserting that ugly Start from Windows 7 won't change anything!

Archived