Windows 8.1 Backup GPT/MBR install question...

HX1

I currently have Windows 8.1 Enterprise running on my laptop... I have multiple partitions on the hard drive and was going to install Windows 10 on the system an dual boot.. It will not allow me even with making changes in the BIOS..

SO.. What I did next was create a System Image using native windows backup.. So I now have two vxhd files...

My question is, and this is because I have never went this route... If I wipe out everything on the drive.. Convert my partition tables to GPT for Windows 10... Then install Windows 8.1 Enterprise, will I be able to backup from that image and have the system exactly like it is now.. and be able to install Windows 10 on a secondary partition.

I have this question because usually I wipe it all and start over.. I would like to avoid that because I have already done this twice this year for several reasons. I also was going to buy another Momentus Thin drive and switch them out until I realized changing drives .. included disassembling my entire laptop ( the old one had a door.. 2 minute switch out ).. So that idea was scrapped.

I also was going to try to convert to GPT from MBR non-destructively but would still like to know in case something goes wrong...

This is usually the point in the story where I skip it all and get right to it.. :P I would not usually do this but I need to keep a working system with all installed programs while working on my Windows 10 installation.

• Replies 5
  • Views 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, for whatever reason I have changed all of those options and is technically what I had left them for the Windows 8.1 installation. I double checked the settings and then, I shrank the partition, created a new one in Windows, ran from the DVD and it will not install to the partition. I get the error message about the GPT that is needed.

When I installed Windows 8.1 I got the same error message. I ha to delete everything on the drive and start over. This was because I wanted to go in a Signature PC direction. Just Pure Windows .. no HP junk... So I killed all partitions and data and started fresh.. Driver issues or whatever the system ran smoother and better afterwards but now when I try to install Windows 10 I am getting the same error.. I will try this again and see if I missed something.

I am pretty sure it will not allow me however, without switching to GPT or wiping it all.

EDIT: All was as stated and I went through the process of turning it on and off again.. Still the same error message about not being able to install to the drive.

Sorry for double post.. BUT my solution was not in the BIOS settings.. but in boot options which works differently than regular boot options would in the past..

The odd thing is it kept giving the GPT on EFI error.. Started to convert didn't even do anything.. Then I double-checked BIOS.. Everything was right.. For some reason after I posted here I decided to hit ESC to go to Boot Options instead.. weird thing is that I chose Boot from DVD, which it had been doing or I thought.. One of the options there was to boot from EFI, which I didn't use... but I found it odd that all of these instructions about settings in the BIOS didn't work..

So guess what.. this time after selecting the DVD after hitting ESC then F9 for Device.. then DVD.. it installed to the second Partition and corrected the drive letters.. instead of going into the BIOS.. Normally just having the Boot Order correct and hitting a key to boot from DVD worked but it did not...

Problem has been solved for me.. incidentally BIOS version is Insyde 2.0 on an HP.. anybody has this sort of issue it may be worth checking.. IF your system will not let you install.

my drive is in GPT and my usb drive says its blocked when i choose the GPT option on rufus.

I cant boot from usb if i use any of the mbr options.

I got to learn how to change that gpt to mbr :doctor:

Archived