Pirates reportedly upgrade to Windows 10 from non-genuine Windows, and remain activated

Batu69

The whole upgrading to Windows 10 from a non-genuine Windows is so confusing. First, Microsoft announces that it plans to give Windows 10 as a free upgrade regardless of whether users don’t have a genuine copy of Windows 8.1 or 7. Then shortly afterwards, Microsoft backtracked what it said and told everyone that pirates will not get Windows 10 for free.

Quite a few people have reported on Reddit have reported that they have successfully upgraded their pirated copies of Windows (check out this thread and this one), both 8.1 and 7, to Windows 10. Surprisingly, many of these people got their Windows 10 activated, despite their previous Windows installation not activated.

Many users are claiming that all they had to do was run the Get Windows 10 app and then the magic began. They didn't even need to run any hacks or exploits.

However, some users have also reported that their Windows 10 upgrade did not activate from a non-genuine copy of Windows. So users who don't have a genuine copy of Windows who try to Windows 10 shouldn't be surprised if their Windows 10 machine didn't activate. If you run across this problem, then it's probably best you purchase a copy of Windows 10 if you can afford it. Or enroll in the Insider Preview, where Microsoft keeps a close eye on what you do, and how you use the OS, for product improvement purposes, of course.

Source

• Replies 23
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it depends on how the Windows was activated.

If it was a franken build then I suspect it will not activate.

If it was activted using a genuine method (eg KMS) but from an unauthorised source then I suspect it will activate.

my upgrade form windows 7 with Daz Loader didn't activated Windows 10... but running Windows ToolKit from Codyqx4 (i think thats is name) worked fine :)

i runned the app thats available to make the upgrade (about 18MB .exe)

Those of you who updated from a Windows 7/8/8.1 system that was KMS-activated with something like MTK or phone activated with a MAK should consider switching channels. Right now, you're on a generic volume channel that might point to who upgraded from a pirated copy. To switch channels, all you have to do is insert the generic retail key (ends in 3V66T for Windows 10 Pro) using command prompt. Windows 10 will then deactivate, but if you're connected to the internet, it will compare its HWID with Microsoft's servers and reactivate using the retail channel.

Those of you who updated from a Windows 7/8/8.1 system that was KMS-activated with something like MTK or phone activated with a MAK should consider switching channels. Right now, you're on a generic volume channel that might point to who upgraded from a pirated copy. To switch channels, all you have to do is insert the generic retail key (ends in 3V66T for Windows 10 Pro) using command prompt. Windows 10 will then deactivate, but if you're connected to the internet, it will compare its HWID with Microsoft's servers and reactivate using the retail channel.

First of all I have no idea where you get the generic from "generic volume channel". Secondly, volume is a legit thing they won't come back and penalize you for having a volume activated computer. Retail just means that your key can activate less computers and volume means more. But anyways interesting observation.

Those who used SLIC activation (a hacked BIOS that identifies itself to Windows as a Dell/Lenovo/HP/... OEM PC) should be fine too.

i should point out that my laptop as bought with Ubuntu installed (needed a low budget laptop fast to use), so i think i'm out of the wood's regarding the ativation issue xD

MTK worked fine. office 2013 run's fine, insider builds are on, windows update check's for updates fine... no issues so far, except for some random windows explorer restart's...

First of all I have no idea where you get the generic from "generic volume channel".

Upgrading from a KMS-activated machine uses a generic volume MAK, and upgrading from phone-activated machines uses a different generic volume MAK. As far as the Windows 10 upgrades go, all of the keys are generic. In other words, the keys are the same across devices. Instead of using unique keys, the HWID is what is unique. If you compare your volume MAK to another computer that updated the same way, it will be the same generic key. To reiterate, computers upgrading from KMS-activated machines are all receiving the same keys, and it could potentially point to the license having been pirated.

Secondly, volume is a legit thing they won't come back and penalize you for having a volume activated computer.

You might be right that it won't come back to bite anyone, but people who update from KMS-activated machines are receiving the same key. It's safer to be on the retail channel because KMS-activated machines, pirated or not, weren't supposed to get the Windows 10 upgrade. Because KMS-activated machines are supposed to receive activation from a KMS host, Microsoft would be well within its right to deactivate anyone on the generic volume MAK channel that comports to having upgraded specifically from a KMS-activated machine. Legitimate KMS-activated machines would just regain activation from a KMS host after it's setup by the system admin. Pirated machines would hypothetically lose their activation and have to find another source of activation, such as KMS.

I don't think computers on the volume MAK channel are going to get deactivated, but being on the retail channel is much safer.

Retail just means that your key can activate less computers and volume means more.

That's not how it works with the Windows 10 upgrades. For everyone upgrading on the retail channel, for example, they are all receiving the same key (granted it's the same edition of Windows). As I mentioned earlier, every single person updating to Windows 10 Pro on the retail channel is receiving the generic retail key that ends in 3V66T. What's specific to the computers this time around is HWID.

First of all I have no idea where you get the generic from "generic volume channel".

Upgrading from a KMS-activated machine uses a generic volume MAK, and upgrading from phone-activated machines uses a different generic volume MAK. As far as the Windows 10 upgrades go, all of the keys are generic. In other words, the keys are the same across devices. Instead of using unique keys, the HWID is what is unique. If you compare your volume MAK to another computer that updated the same way, it will be the same generic key. To reiterate, computers upgrading from KMS-activated machines are all receiving the same keys, and it could potentially point to the license having been pirated.

Secondly, volume is a legit thing they won't come back and penalize you for having a volume activated computer.

You might be right that it won't come back to bite anyone, but people who update from KMS-activated machines are receiving the same key. It's safer to be on the retail channel because KMS-activated machines, pirated or not, weren't supposed to get the Windows 10 upgrade. Because KMS-activated machines are supposed to receive activation from a KMS host, Microsoft would be well within its right to deactivate anyone on the generic volume MAK channel that comports to having upgraded specifically from a KMS-activated machine. Legitimate KMS-activated machines would just regain activation from a KMS host after it's setup by the system admin. Pirated machines would hypothetically lose their activation and have to find another source of activation, such as KMS.

I don't think computers on the volume MAK channel are going to get deactivated, but being on the retail channel is much safer.

Retail just means that your key can activate less computers and volume means more.

That's not how it works with the Windows 10 upgrades. For everyone upgrading on the retail channel, for example, they are all receiving the same key (granted it's the same edition of Windows). As I mentioned earlier, every single person updating to Windows 10 Pro on the retail channel is receiving the generic retail key that ends in 3V66T. What's specific to the computers this time around is HWID.

Any source on where you are getting this info from? I haven't really tested anything throughly, but what you are saying is very interesting if true. But if everyone is getting generic, "public" keys as you specify then I don't see how they would differentiate between "suspected" pirate activations and legitimate activations.

Any source on where you are getting this info from? I haven't really tested anything throughly, but what you are saying is very interesting if true. But if everyone is getting generic, "public" keys as you specify then I don't see how they would differentiate between "suspected" pirate activations and legitimate activations.

• I explained how people who activated using KMS before the upgrade are getting a particular volume MAK after the upgrade to Windows 10. <----potentially unsafe since KMS-activated machines aren't supposed to get upgraded with permanent licenses. Microsoft could easily pull the plug on these, and system administrators can just KMS-activate the legitimate deactivated machines with this MAK. This would cause only the pirated systems to be affected. I don't think deactivation will happen, but it could.
  • People who phone activated a MAK before the upgrade are getting a different volume MAK than the one mentioned above after the upgrade to Windows 10. <----probably okay
  • People who activated using Daz's loader or have legitimate retail licenses are getting a particular retail key after the upgrade to Windows 10. <----safest option

My recommendation is that people move to the retail channel if they're not already on it.

@Lacius Microsoft cannot deactivate a computer, I don't know how much I can stress that they cannot, I'm 100% sure there. Because they use ticket based activation which to say it in simpler words, if you activate it microsoft can't deactivate it if you have the original tickets which carry signatures, udid, etc. The only way for microsoft to deactivate is by messing around with those tickets remotely or through an update, which would cause problems and easily reversible by correctly backing them up. Besides microsoft did mention that pirates would get free windows 10, but then they changed their minds all of a sudden, probably a legal situation in the future.

@Lacius Microsoft cannot deactivate a computer, I don't know how much I can stress that they cannot, I'm 100% sure there. Because they use ticket based activation which to say it in simpler words, if you activate it microsoft can't deactivate it if you have the original tickets which carry signatures, udid, etc. The only way for microsoft to deactivate is by messing around with those tickets remotely or through an update, which would cause problems and easily reversible by correctly backing them up. Besides microsoft did mention that pirates would get free windows 10, but then they changed their minds all of a sudden, probably a legal situation in the future.

Microsoft has a long history of deactivating machines and/or blacklisting keys. I suggest you read up on WGA, WAT, etc.

Restoring an activation backup is a stopgap measure when the activation is no longer valid and will periodically be deactivated again.

Microsoft has a long history of deactivating machines and/or blacklisting keys. I suggest you read up on WGA, WAT, etc.

Restoring an activation backup is a stopgap measure when the activation is no longer valid and will periodically be deactivated again.

Source? Like I said never heard or seen this, with the keys yeah but it makes sense on how they block them.

StarshipSpaceX

hello all,
I upgraded Win 7 pro retails copy to Win 10 pro. and info on the web says I can see my new Windows 10 key through Produkey software. and after checking out the Windows 10 key, I found out that the key is same as generic key.
So, in all my windows 10 Pro is activated with generic key.

and

I had used my Win 7 retail genuine license for that. So, I got generic key against my retail license .

OMG!!!

If I am wrong , please let me know!

Is there a another to find Windows 10 key. I used Jellybean and Produkey, but same generic key !

hello all,

I upgraded Win 7 pro retails copy to Win 10 pro. and info on the web says I can see my new Windows 10 key through Produkey software. and after checking out the Windows 10 key, I found out that the key is same as generic key.

and

I had used my Win 7 retail genuine license for that. So, I got generic key against my retail license .

OMG!!!

Is there a another to find Windows 10 key. I used Jellybean and Produkey, but same generic key !

This is normal. Your key is supposed to be the generic retail key. What's specific to your machine is the HWID, and that's what Microsoft is using.

StarshipSpaceX

hello all,

and

OMG!!!

This is normal. Your key is supposed to be the generic retail key. What's specific to your machine is the HWID, and that's what Microsoft is using.

But if I activate Win 10 Pro with retail key bought from MS Store ? Then that will be retail license and can activated on diffrent PC without calling MS ?

It is HWID tied so the key is basically a place holder only. When it goes online it checks HWID, not key. I wonder how the oem activation will be...waiting on best buy to get new machines in with win10 to go do some tests. lol

It is HWID tied so the key is basically a place holder only. When it goes online it checks HWID, not key. I wonder how the oem activation will be...waiting on best buy to get new machines in with win10 to go do some tests. lol

I have some interesting finds on oem. But nothing solid yet.

I am waiting for best buy to get new machines with win10 on them so I can go check out the oem activation method used for win10.... :)

Archived