Question about Motherboard

software182

software182

Hello, i'm planning to buy new processor for my PC, it's i3 4170 haswell refresh series and now all i need is new motherboard. i have selected these motherboards since i only have $100 :s can you tell me which is the "best" :) Maybe i'm gonna use it for 2 or 3 years..

- MSI H81i Mini ITX

- Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3

- MSI H81M-P32

- Asus H81M-C

- ECS B85H3-M3

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whatever you do, avoid ECS and Asrock like the plague!

I would like to know, what's wrong with these two brands?

god-awful quality on parts and sub par drivers support. (these go hand in hand, they cut corners in hardware, then dirty patch the bios to make it work.)

for instance, some of these mobos, have a hard limit on the amount of ram you can install. experienced this first hand, told owner to RMA the whole shipment.

software182

god-awful quality on parts and sub par drivers support. (these go hand in hand, they cut corners in hardware, then dirty patch the bios to make it work.)

for instance, some of these mobos, have a hard limit on the amount of ram you can install. experienced this first hand, told owner to RMA the whole shipment.

i have a bad feeling about Asrock & ECS too :think:

but should i avoid Gigabyte ? maybe you won't believe this but my motherboard was burnt yesterday :s and it's a gigabyte, lol. I know it's an old mobo ( socket 1156 ) but damn, yesteraday was horror, it could burn my whole room, lol :lol: :rofl:

but should i avoid Gigabyte ? maybe you won't believe this but my motherboard was burnt yesterday :s and it's a gigabyte, lol. I know it's an old mobo ( socket 1156 ) but damn, yesteraday was horror, it could burn my whole room, lol :lol: :rofl:

last gigabyte that went up in smoke was socket 370 (pentium III) after a decade of service. right now, i couldn't tell you how good they are. i usually stick to asus or msi if i have a choice.

software182

last gigabyte that went up in smoke was socket 370 (pentium III) after a decade of service. right now, i couldn't tell you how good they are. i usually stick to asus or msi if i have a choice.

Thanx, but maybe i'll end up with this --> MSI B85M Gaming intel Socket 1150.. what do you think ? is it good ?

Thanx, but maybe i'll end up with this --> MSI B85M Gaming intel Socket 1150.. what do you think ? is it good ?

they're not bad but you will probably out grow it pretty quick. specially if you are planning to add more stuff later. like wi-fi, SLI, tv or sound card, etc. for that price i'd go with asus. a z78 to be precise. if you can't afford an asus, then i'd say yes, go with msi. but that's clearly not the case

Pro. Tip:—

Never ever commit the cardinal sin of judging a hardware based on brands — always base your selection based on models regardless of the Maker (as long as it is reputed.)

The parameters of choosing a motherboard is prima facie to match the CPU, drop for drop . . . . . . . juice for juice — one of the numerous other rewards for the sin is the all too familiar hole . . . . . . . . caused by electrical fire.

Pro. Tip:—

Never ever commit the cardinal sin of judging a hardware based on brands — always base your selection based on models regardless of the Maker (as long as it is reputed.)

The parameters of choosing a motherboard is prima facie to match the CPU, drop for drop . . . . . . . juice for juice — one of the numerous other rewards for the sin is the all too familiar hole . . . . . . . . caused by electrical fire.

giphy.gif

I had MSI board on my first ever computer back in 2005. It burnt out. But I don't spread the fact as "MSI is bad".

Nothing is immortal, neither are motherboards.

The procedure of choosing a hardware is if you don't have enough knowledge about it then take some advice from pro users. Then use your brain to assess between the features it provide and the feature you need. Then the next thing comes to reliability. Not even the manufacturer can assure you a lifetime relationship with it. Today Gigabyte have failed. The next day Asus may fail, if you are unlucky enough.

The best you can do is buy a board from a branded manufacrurer like Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI etc. and pray that it won't cheat on you.

I had MSI board on my first ever computer back in 2005. It burnt out. But I don't spread the fact as "MSI is bad".

Nothing is immortal, neither are motherboards.

The procedure of choosing a hardware is if you don't have enough knowledge about it then take some advice from pro users. Then use your brain to assess between the features it provide and the feature you need. Then the next thing comes to reliability. Not even the manufacturer can assure you a lifetime relationship with it. Today Gigabyte have failed. The next day Asus may fail, if you are unlucky enough.

The best you can do is buy a board from a branded manufacrurer like Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI etc. and pray that it won't cheat on you.

i would agree if it was just once or twice, but when you're assembling 100 identical brand new computers and 20 or more come with defects, or simply blow up before even leaving the workshop, then there's clearly something wrong. some of the "surviving" ones won't even make it to the 1 year mark. that's when you decide: ok, next time we need to buy a different brand.

People buy a CPU with the intention of gaming and then commit the blunder of purchasing the wrong chip — personally, regardless of whether I intend to game or not, I invariably opt for the Z Series which ship with the most heavy-duty, industry-grade components . . . . . . designed with the specifics to endure an extremely high threshold of heat.

In my profession of system building, have witnessed a good number of ASUS meltdowns as also a high number of GIGABYTE motherboards outliving the rig — both these examples though, prove nothing because on closer look . . . . . . . . . . every meltdown was traced back to a poor selection of unsuitable chip, not well-matched to the CPU.

• Administrator

@software182: How did it happen though.

I was going to make a suggestion that you wait for the next Intel processors, which are said to be a big upgrade over the current, however, as you need it fast, then Haswell is good too.

People buy a CPU with the intention of gaming and then commit the blunder of purchasing the wrong chip — personally, regardless of whether I intend to game or not, I invariably opt for the Z Series which ship with the most heavy-duty, industry-grade components . . . . . . designed with the specifics to endure an extremely high threshold of heat.

In my profession of system building, have witnessed a good number of ASUS meltdowns as also a high number of GIGABYTE motherboards outliving the rig — both these examples though, prove nothing because on closer look . . . . . . . . . . every meltdown was traced back to a poor selection of unsuitable chip, not well-matched to the CPU.

Last time I checked, Z series were really expensive. I wonder if you have the same opinions about the H series too. Reason I asked is to understand the reliability of the H chips and the main difference between the Z and H being the overclocking abilities and the build-in multiple PCI-E support. Would recommend H chip to i5 or would you recommend only Z chip for it.

I wonder how does it happen though, would it happen because of CPU being too heated or just the motherboard getting heated. Come to think of it, much effort has been put to keep the motherboard and RAM cool, but they are not enough I feel, atleast the part where both of them are passively cooled.

I must mention though, another mistake people making a gaming PC make is not buying a proper graphics card. A lot the games are ported from the consoles and require a good CPU, which from what I can understand, may not be a case for the next DirectX though, but most games need a good graphics card, not just a good CPU.

Yeah, I'm hearing things about 6th gen intel CPUs and Z107 chipsets. But there are no 5th gen CPUs available online in India to shop. Don't know when 6th gen gonna come :dunno:

software182

@software182: How did it happen though.

I was going to make a suggestion that you wait for the next Intel processors, which are said to be a big upgrade over the current, however, as you need it fast, then Haswell is good too.

Last time I checked, Z series were really expensive. I wonder if you have the same opinions about the H series too. Reason I asked is to understand the reliability of the H chips and the main difference between the Z and H being the overclocking abilities and the build-in multiple PCI-E support. Would recommend H chip to i5 or would you recommend only Z chip for it.

I wonder how does it happen though, would it happen because of CPU being too heated or just the motherboard getting heated. Come to think of it, much effort has been put to keep the motherboard and RAM cool, but they are not enough I feel, atleast the part where both of them are passively cooled.

I must mention though, another mistake people making a gaming PC make is not buying a proper graphics card. A lot the games are ported from the consoles and require a good CPU, which from what I can understand, may not be a case for the next DirectX though, but most games need a good graphics card, not just a good CPU.

I can buy the 5th gen Intel processor but it would take more time for me and yes bro i need it fast to do my work. I'm using my sister's laptop for now and it sucks as it slow as hell :s

ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte.

I've used all three (3) Motherboard Brands without problems. :dunno:

Thank you for your suggestion, but i'll go with MSI :yes:

Archived