MORE Windows 10 bugs! Too many Start menu apps will BREAK it

Batu69

Microsoft's 'working on a fix to this issue' – or you can go third party instead

windows10surface3.jpg?x=648&y=429&crop=1

A bug in the Windows 10 Start menu will hit upgraders with large numbers of installed applications

An issue with the Windows 10 Start menu means that those with more than 512 application shortcuts will have missing entries.

In Windows 10, the Start menu includes an All Apps list, which you can search for quick access to installed applications.

Start menu shortcuts are still shortcut files placed in the same special locations as previous versions of Windows, but the Start menu app appears to be driven by a database on which some optimistic Microsoft coder has placed a limit of 512 entries.

The bug is documented (to some extent) here, where a user complains:

I had a little over 500 apps listed and after a secure reboot all my start menu links were gone and they're missing now from all apps, too.

There is no way to get Windows to recognise them again. Very annoying bug. I brought down the number under 500 by de-installing some stuff, but it still doesn't work.

Journalist Peter Bright tweeted about the problem, attracting the attention of Microsoft Program Manager Arunjeet Singh, who said:

The issue seems to affect people with more than 512 apps in their "All apps" list.

To tell whether you're one of them: 1. Bring up the Start menu and search for Windows Powershell. 2. Run Windows Powershell. 3. Run the command "Get-StartApps | measure" (without the quotes) in the command window.

If you see a number larger than or equal to 512 you are affected by this issue. We are working on a fix to this issue.

The workaround is to use a third-party Start menu such as Stardock's Start10. Since the underlying shortcuts are intact, these solutions still work correctly.

Another good idea is to defer upgrading to Windows 10 until this kind of annoyance is fixed.

Source

• Replies 17
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ballistic Gelatin

Mute testament to the wisdom of waiting until Spring 2016 to install Windows 10, especially if you have a stable installation of Windows 7.

Microsoft shouldn't integrate Tiles in start menu! it looks very cluttered!

Tiles view should be just an option!

Windows 7 has the best one!!!!

Edit:

you should also consider Start Is Back ++ for Windows 10!

Direct link from homepage: http://s3.amazonaws.com/startisback/StartIsBackPlusPlus_setup.exe

TOTALLY agree. I've been using paid version of StartIsBack since Windows 8. Repeat after me: I don't have a touch screen; I don't have a touch screen.........

more than 512 application shortcuts

Who the hell has so many shortcuts?

No need for third party Start Menu, I like it a lot how it now is! ^_^

I personally think that's kinda memory leak, nothing concerns with "a limit of 512 entries" :P
Correct me if I'm wrong :lol:

I install mostly portable apps and add them to pstart if i ever installed over that many apps witch I doubt I ever will I could add any missing icons to it. it works for any app not just portables . I'm not going to worry about it they will fix in a update soon if its needed . :lol:

more than 512 application shortcuts

Who the hell has so many shortcuts?

No need for third party Start Menu, I like it a lot how it now is! ^_^

Exactly. People are just nitpicking on this one. I'm fine with the new start menu but if I decided to use 3rd party as I did with 8.1, I would use ClassicShell with the Win7 menu & Aero theme rather than StartIsBack.

Microsoft shouldn't integrate Tiles in start menu! it looks very cluttered!

Tiles view should be just an option!

Windows 7 has the best one!!!!

Edit:

you should also consider Start Is Back ++ for Windows 10!

Direct link from homepage: http://s3.amazonaws.com/startisback/StartIsBackPlusPlus_setup.exe

Yes windows 7 is the best one

Win 7 Sp3 could've come out instead of windows 10 but i see there is maherz version :yes:

Yes windows 7 is the best one

Win 7 Sp3 could've come out instead of windows 10 but i see there is maherz version :yes:

Why live in the past yes windows 7 was great, so was Xp in its time and windows 98se move on its 2015

Journalist Peter Bright tweeted about the problem, attracting the attention of Microsoft Program Manager Arunjeet Singh, who said:

The issue seems to affect people with more than 512 apps in their "All apps" list.

The workaround is to use a third-party Start menu such as Stardock's Start10.

Using Start10 or any other Start Menu alternative is undoubtedly a good decision.

However, how about a visit to your local Shrink to get yourself dispossessed of the wicked spirit that is hell-bent on using such a high number of apps. within the All Apps menu. A5qMhta.gif

Sweet my trusty old startisback license still works for startisback++ but for now I will try the new menu, it will probably still drive me crazy and I will end up installing sib again

512 Apps? Not a bug, that's insane :o. On Windows 8 I used StartIsBack, but I prefer the new start menu from Windows 10.

Well in any case Windows 10 is a work in progress as everything from MS and many others, Therefore it might me a good idea to wait with the update until enough patches from MS have been issued to address the most important bugs. We have 1 year time until the free upgrade offer ends, that's more than enough.

That's why I'll keep my very complex and working (fingers crossed) 8.1 installation and made a Windows 10 upgrade on another partition which is not my production version.

MidnightDistortions

I don't even have that many programs/games installed. Who clutters their machine with this many apps? lol

I've always told my clients/friends not to switch to new windows releases when they first launch...Always wait at least 3 months after launch or (if you can) until SP1 is released. There are always a boat load of issues in the first several weeks after launch. Imo, 8 and 8.1 were a lot like Vista...a big mistake..,and Win7 is the next XP so to speak...and they'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands before I'll give it up. As far as W10 goes...it's a bit early to say but its not looking too good imo. Biggest prob is the stupid tiles and the fact that MS is trying to futher monitize it with ms store crap and stuff like ads in the solitare games which they want $10 a year to remove!!! Like XP, a LOT of people will keeping it until the bitter end of support...in 2020.

Yeah, I broke start menu too...

Also I managed to break the new browser and also there is some incompatibility between the new browser and visual studio 2015... when I code and keep the browser open the computer freezes for some min, when closing the browser everything works fine.

Again story... first says Windows XP is bad after is good, Windows 7 is bad after Windows 7 is king... now Windows 10 is bad and after 3-5 months will be Windows 10 Is imperator.

Archived