Which AntiVirus / Internet Security App ?

virge

Which of the following programs has the best detection and which one do you trust for your day to day use?

Bitdefender Total Security 2015 (paid)

ESET Nod32 Smart Security 8 or 9 beta (paid)

Kaspersky Internet Security (paid)

Comodo Internet Security 8.2 (free)

VIPRE Internet Security 2015 (paid)

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware 2.1.8 (paid)

MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit 1.07.1015 (paid)

Others ?

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

comodo for free if you know how to change the setting according to your paranoia.

paid then kaspersky and change some setting like application control, etc according to your taste.

Not using any AV. I'm installing one every 2-3 months to scan my pc and surprise, nothing. One has to be very naive to get a virus.

MBAM + Windows Default.

And I do not think that anything more would be needed. I'm not a victim of commercial advertising.

I can not and do not want to support them financially.

Windows Defender on Windows 10 for real-time protection.

Malwarebytes scan every now and then.

Laptop 1 HP 8470P: Win 10 Pro x64, Webroot SecureAnywhere 2015+AvastPE Portable+Kingsoft Portable+Panda Portable;

Laptop 2 HP 8570W: Win 8 enterprise x64: ESet NOD 32 AV 8+Avira 2009 Portable + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware;

Laptop 3 HP 8440P: Win 7 Pro x64: Bkav antivirus +Avira 2009 Portable+ HitmanPortable;

jimbojet2011

Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes and Kaspersky AV ( all Paid ) and a little common sense!

win 10 x64: BD 2015 (because windows defender seemed too heavy), Windows Firewall + WFC, HostsMan, other manual tweaks

• 2 weeks later...

anti virus: nod32 (av only. not smart because that comes bundled with firewall)

firewall: windows firewall control (basically an overlay that makes using default firewall much easier)

active anti malware (mbam. i use for active block. also run scans manually every now and then just to double check every few months)

passive anti malware (hitman pro. it scans on start up, as well as on manual scan every few months. on startup may be overkill, might disable that cause it feels unecessary). herdprotector (only use as a double check cause tends to have lots of false positives. just to be sure i did not miss anything.)

anti exploits (emet 5.2 + malwarebytes anti exploit. Is compatible as long as some options in emet is disables due to conflict. works well together once configured)

browser: chrome and firefox. i use both ublock and umatrix by gorhill. Browsing is very safe, as stuff don't get loaded into my pc unless i explicitly allow it. may seem complicated at first, but setup is easy once you get use to it. stuff like youtube i set to allow globally. other things from a local site, only gets locally allowed on that site alone. i have not had a single cookie tracker on my machine since i use these 2 plugins.... thats how good they are.

other useful chrome extensions: magic actions (this prevents videos from autoplaying. can't get annoying especially when multiple tabs have videos). session buddy (easy to reload tabs and windows when accidentally closed or due to pc reboot). lastpass (best password keyring to store complicated passwords. Keep the master password stored safely elsewhere :P )

OS of choice: windows 10. People complain that windows 10 has more spying capability. i agree, which is why i did the basic privacy settings to disable most of it. People reported that even doing that it still is too invasive. theres a script someone made to fully disable every invasive thing added into windows 10. Honestly i didn't even bother :x cause i got nothing to hide.

other useful tools for pc maintenance: stardock fences (keeps my desktop clean and organized). ccleaner+ccenhancer (cleans out registry as well as free up space. I do this every few months to clear out junk that piles on my pc), driverbooster by iobit (this keeps my pc drivers up to date. very reliable and has not caused any pc crashes whatsoever). total uninstall (best app uninstaller. fully cleans out apps properly. I'd still use ccleaner as an extra precaution, but most of the time total uninstall does the trick). privazer (clears my pc of traces. is a more advance version of ccleaner mostly for privacy)

router protection: a router using shibby tomato firmware which i update for security patches. stock firmwares tend to be slow in updating security fixes from my experience. so dependable third party firmwares that are regularly updated with features/security patches is more ideal.

security tests: i don't do much. GRC ShieldsUp seems to be enough of a security check :x

Archived