Gmail Messages Can Be Made to Self-Destruct with This Chrome Extension

Karamjit

New Chrome extensions lets you revoke access to your emails

A new Gmail extension aims to give users the ability to delete an email they've sent out using Gmail, at any time they want.

While earlier this year Gmail introduced Undo Send, a new feature that allows its users to revoke an email after it was sent out, this only works for a maximum period of 30 seconds after the email is sent to recipients.

Dmail is a new service created by the same team that currently runs Delicious, which allows users to destroy an email at any time they wish after it was sent out.

Dmail acts as an intermediary for your email messages

Theoretically, Dmail does not send out emails, but takes the user's message, encrypts it locally, saves it on the Dmail servers, and sends the recipient a URL where they can view the message, and the key to decrypt it.

Unless having the Dmail extension installed, the recipient will have to open a new browser tab and view their message outside their inbox.

This approach enables Dmail users to revoke access to any sent-out email, effectively deleting it from the Dmail data servers, without ever letting Gmail and Google's servers store the email's content on theirs.

Messages can also self-destruct on their own after a period of time

Besides allowing users to unsend any email at any time, Dmail also supports self-destructing messages, which can be created from the Gmail Compose screen by selecting a time period between one hour, one day and one week.

Going to the "Sent" folder or clicking the Dmail icon also lets users revoke the message before the self-destruct timer is reached, or when a timer was not setup at all.

For now, only a Chrome extension exists, but an iOS app is expected in mid-August, and an Android app later on.

From

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The question is "What does it take to make Chrome self-destruct?" yXZVmpE.gif

anyone ever sent me an email that i had to go to third party site with a key to open the mail would not be sending any more email...they would go into my block this sender file...and i would wonder for about 2 seconds what that email was...

The question is "What does it take to make Chrome self-destruct?" yXZVmpE.gif
:yes: For windows plarform you can say so but for androids, it's the best. It's not like IE in windows :tehe:

Archived