november_ra1n

How to Upgrade from Windows 7-8/8.1 or Windows 10 IP to Windows 10 RTM

#Any Windows 10 device activated during the free upgrade period will remain activated for the rest of the device’s lifetime.#
===========================================================================

Download Links: Windows 10 Version 1607 RS1 (Anniversary Update) RTM ISO

****************************************************************************************************************************

1A. Upgrade from The Windows 7-8/8.1 to Windows 10 RTM
======================================================
1. Make sure your Windows has been activated permanently

2. Use one of the tool or ISO Files below and Upgrade
Direct Download Tools & Website Link from Microsoft:
===================================================

• A. Windows 10 Installation Media Tool:

The Windows Media Creation Tool will allow you to download the Windows 10 ISO directly from Microsoft, without having a product key. You can use it to clean install or Upgrade to Windows 10. It can be used to download the following editions of Windows 10 – Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Home N, Windows 10 Home Single Language, Windows 10 Pro and Windows Pro N.

The tool includes file formats optimized for download speed, built-in media creation options for USB & DVDs, and allows for optional conversion to ISO file format. There are two versions of the tool available – a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version. Download the appropriate version of the tool and run it.

When you run the tool, it creates two directories on your system partition – $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS. These folders contain the downloaded setup and installation files, and an option to resume the creation process if it fails.

To download the Windows 10 Installation Media Tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

and scroll down till you see two purple Download Tool Now buttons.
More Info & Screenshots --- thewindowsclub >>

================================================================

• B. Windows 10 Windows10ISO Upgrade:

Once you open the link, you can select the desired Windows 10 edition from following available options:
Windows 10 - Windows 10 KN - Windows 10 N - Windows 10 Single Language
Each Windows 10 edition ISO file contains both Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro versions, so you can install both Home or Pro version of Windows 10 using a single ISO in your PC.

Download Windows 10 Version 1607 Disc Image (ISO File) - All Language:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO/

More Info & Screenshots --- askvg.com

Or Upgrade from Windows Update if and when is available ---- Ref [answers.microsoft]
3. If you decide to Upgrade From ISO file you can either burn and install from Boot menu
or
Simply open ISO file & click to setup exe file to star to Upgrade.
4. Keep the internet on during upgrading.

Spoiler

k3ttSA.png

5. During Upgrading if and when you have been asked Installation or Activation key -----Simply select skip.

Rest of the Upgrading will be as usual with step by step screenshots posted below:

Spoiler

ggBkrh.png

R5gaUG.png

DF8g3D.png

Nw2HAL.png

3asNv0.png

umKmJe.png

F2w0YM.png

LfRyUU.png

6. After installation Done when you come to your Desktop you will be activated permanently wishfully stay like this without entering and keys.
7. If you wish to do CLEAN Installation now is the time. Use Windows 10 DVD ISO and select Custom:Install Windows only (Advance) option to do clean installation.

Spoiler

k86f.png

## Tested on VMware Workstation to Upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with both Retail & VL Mak keys also Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 with Retail Key ---- Successfully Upgraded to Activated Windows 10 Build 10240.
Also Tested on Windows 7 SP1 Activated with DAZ Loader & Working. #18 >>> : ) ##

Testimonial Screenshots:

Spoiler

1. ===============================================================

WEvbfC.png

2. ===============================================================

J7RqRh.png

****************************************************************************************************************************

Upgrade from The Windows 10 IP to Windows 10 RTM
================================================

1. Register Windows 10 IP webpage:

https://insider.windows.com/ 

2. Get the latest ISO there and Install/Activate with Product key in same website.
3. Install ISO on your hard drive or the partition you may need to created. [Paragon Hard Disk Manager is good software for partition]
4. Sign in MS account rather than Local account. [This may not be necessary but just in case --- you can switch to local account any time you wish]
5. Get the latest Windows 10 .esd or ISO file [Currently Windows 10 10240]
Or Upgrade from Windows Update if and when is available ---- Ref [answers.microsoft]
6. If you decide to Upgrade From ISO file you can either burn and install from Boot menu
or
Simply open ISO file & click to setup exe file to star to Upgrade.
Rest of the Upgrading will be as usual with step by step screenshots posted on 1A above.
7. Keep the internet on during upgrading.
8. After installation Done when you come to your Desktop you will activated without entering and keys.
9. If you wish to do CLEAN Installation now is the time. You can use same ISO to do clean installation on PC Boot.

## Tested on VMware Workstation to Upgrade from Windows 10 IP Build 10166 ---- Successfully Upgraded to Activated Windows 10 Build 10240.
Testimonial Screenshots similar as i posted under 1A above.

Backup / Restore software successfully working on Windows 10 Build 10240 + Office 2013
Successful backup & Restore:
1. MSActBackUp Portable by Ratiborus #110 >>>
2. OPA-Backup 3.4.2 #1 >>>
3. Microsoft Toolkit 2.5.3 #1 >>>
4. Windows 9 Product Key Viewer 1.5.0 #1 >>>

Testing Notes:

• Before Restore activation you need to disable internet connection after restore done restart PC [just in case some application requires].
  • MSActBackUp --- Suggested setting before Restore ------ > Check the box to "Restore WPA" and click button "Restore Activation".
  • OPA-Backup 3.4.2 --- You need .net framework 2.0 installed ---- Restart PC after Restore.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Failed:
1. Advanced Tokens Manager v3.5 RC 5 --- Failed [Tokens error -- Invalid backup for the product]
==========================================================
Important Points you need to know before backup and reinstall procedure:
1. The activation is tied to your specific hardware and OS edition, so keep this in mind.
2. The solution will likely 100% fail if you make changes to hardware and re-install Windows and then trying to restore activation again
3. It has come to my attention that installing certain hardware drivers will break the activation on Windows 8/8.1- 10 forcing you to reactivate. One way to prevent this from happening would be to make sure everything is installed and up to date before activating and then take the backup. That way when you have reinstalled Windows and the hardware drivers it should work just fine restoring activation later.
4. Once we buy the retail version of Windows 8/8.1- 10, backing up the activation would be a more permanent solution given that you don't change the hardware or OS edition along the road which means you have to reactivate and backup again.
5. This manual backup and reactivate methot was working on KMS Activation but as there is non working KMS Activation i just can not check at this moment however there is no reason why shouldn't if there is in the future.

References or FAQ:

All Windows 10 Digital Rights Activation Keys

Win 10 PRO Retail & Volume License Edition With a Digital Entitlement Activation

Windows 10 - What edition of Windows will I get as part of the free upgrade
How to turn your Windows 10 upgrade files into an ISO disk image --- see post reply #110 >>
Windows 10 FAQ see post reply #140 >>>
Upcoming changes to Windows 10 Insider Preview builds [uPDATED 6/22]
Windows 10 Editions & Comparison Chart --- see post reply #137 >>>
Microsoft reveals Windows 10 hardware requirements and upgrade paths
Microsoft clarifies how Windows 10 RTM will be offered to Windows Insiders
Windows 10: Will you lose your free upgrade if you reinstall?
Windows 10 Upgradable Matching Editions & Activation Chart --- see post reply #64 >>>
Get help with Windows 10 activation errors --- see post reply #133 >>>
How To Fix The Something Happened 0x80070002 – 0x20016 Error and Upgrade To Windows 10
How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10 Installation
Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?
Reinstalling Windows 10 after upgrade
Fix: The Installation Failed In The First_Boot Phase With An Error During Migrate_Data Operation (0x80070004 – 0x3000d)
Get help with Windows 10 activation errors
Fix Error 0x80070091 When Deleting Files in Windows 10

Note: Activation is permanent on the latest Windows 10 Build 10240 at least command prompt tells me it is:

slmgr.vbs  -XPR 

No of us are magician and we can not predict about future when MS release new build and change the activation dramatically if not Enjoy Your Windows 10 & freedom to the internet. : )

november_ra1n --- 20 July 2015 --- 

• Replies 202
  • Views 49.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to back up a Windows 7 OEM slip activated version and update with 10240 ISO to see it it activates.

Should work right?

november_ra1n

I am going to back up a Windows 7 OEM slip activated version and update with 10240 ISO to see it it activates.

Should work right?

Yes it is going to work remember Upgrade first and skip any key if and when Windows ask during Upgrading. Give us a feedback when you done.

Interesting. I also did an update from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 with a mac-key. I get the key in picture after windows 10 is installed but according to the PID checker it is blocked.

ffefefe.png

november_ra1n

Interesting. I also did an update from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 with a mac-key. I get the key in picture after windows 10 is installed but according to the PID checker it is blocked.

• People activated Windows 8.1 Via Mak key after upgrade get that key but retail activated get generic key below --- do not ask me why.!

Even more interesting if you clean install again that key will change to:

Windows 10 RTM Pro Retail key [generic key]:

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

JG5oXf.gif

JG5oXf.gif

Have you tested to make a restore with the blocked key on a clean install?

november_ra1n

I was thinking about it but Windows 7 - 8.1 installed in my WMware still activated with working MAK/Retail keys someone in the forum who upgrade with already blocked probably answer your valid question..

I was thinking about it but Windows 7 - 8.1 installed in my WMware still activated with working MAK/Retail keys someone in the forum who upgrade with already blocked probably answer your valid question..

Ok.

On my "real" pc (no VM) with Windows 10 x64 activated and with the orginal key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T.

I enter the blocked key for fun, i got a error but the key installed and my copy shows activated :D

november_ra1n

Does this also work for Windows 7 Ultimate activated using Windows Loader by Daz?

You test that one and let us know or ask DAZ [MDL] about it.

Edit: People using DAZ Loader and wondering about free upgrade read this notice see post reply #184 >>>

• People activated Windows 8.1 Via Mak key after upgrade get that key but retail activated get generic key below --- do not ask me why.!

JG5oXf.gif

Yes Im confirm this RETAIL KEY / MAK VL KEY (activated permanent) post upgrade ISO 10240 / and post fresh install windows 10

J7RqRh.png

where I can see this?

Windows 7 Home --> Windows 10

Windows 7 Ultimate --> Windows 10 Pro

And what version can I upgrade from Windows 7 Enterprise?

november_ra1n

Windows 7 Home --> Windows 10

Windows 7 Ultimate --> Windows 10 Pro

And what version can I upgrade from Windows 7 Enterprise?

Yes. 7 Home to 10 Home ----7 Ultimate to 10 Pro.

Enterprise Volume License Edition and MS disqualified Free Upgrade from VL Edition. However i am in progress downloading Build 10240 x64 Enterprise Edition after that try to upgrade on Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise. We will see what is going to happen, I will let you know all.

I have a laptop with Windows 8.1 (not Pro) to which version of Windows 10 will it be upgraded?

There isn't anyting behind the name, it just says Windows 8.1

Should work right?

Yes it is going to work remember Upgrade first and skip any key if and when Windows ask during Upgrading. Give us a feedback when you done.

Worked great....Was able to update Bios modded SLIC installed Windows 7 and then later install clean install with activation.....

Seems all set.

november_ra1n

I have a laptop with Windows 8.1 (not Pro) to which version of Windows 10 will it be upgraded?

There isn't anyting behind the name, it just says Windows 8.1

That is a Core Edition you can Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Edition..

However if you wish to have Windows 10 Pro Edition you need to fist Upgrade Your Windows 8.1 Core to Pro than Upgrade Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro.

If it is your legit key i would recommend you keep it as an Original just in case and Upgrade Windows 10 Home Edition.

Instruction About Upgrading Windows 8.1 From Core To Pro Edition:

november_ra1n

====== More Testing ======
Upgrading from Windows 8.1 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise ------ Not successfully activated Via Mak Keys [Already Mentioned MS does not offer Free Upgrade VL Editions such as Enterprise & Pro VL.
However you could still activate with 180 days KMS Activation and repeat the activation every 180 days see the other topic for KMS Activation option --- #14 >>>
1. Manual KMS Activation ---as long as KMS server is not offline
or
2. KMS Activator

==================================================================================

Upgrading from Windows 7 SP1 Activated With DAZ Loader to Windows 10 Pro ------ [Confirmed Working] Successfully Landed on Windows 10. : )

Testimonial Screenshots:

SBTN9y.png

geyeG8.png

QPLf7k.png

But the activation with Daz Loader was always just injecting a SLIC that was just a cover for the validation system Windows 7, it was something like create a new user logged into the system "on"

Theoretically Upgrade to Windows 10 with the ISO sending data to Microsot servers and these could detect the false activation.

if he confirm that it is working then that's right for me at least but lets not be naive what r u saying can happen in the future (probably)

MS has to be careful not to leave out anyone that would be legit so they appear to have made the the update thing loose to avoid problems. On the other hand they appear to want the entire world to move to Windows 10 so they may not care how many of the loader or bios hacks slip thru the activation cracks.

MS wins if Windows 10 is a massive hit....What's a small percentage of upgraded non licensed machines to them in the overall picture?

november_ra1n

Hi, can we use local account to upgrade to win10

Yes that does not bother M$ tho go for it.

Archived