Mozilla Firefox for Windows 10 Confirmed

Batu69

Mozilla is working on a port of its browser for Windows 10

Microsoft will introduce a new browser in Windows 10 called Edge, in an attempt to offer users with a modern experience from the very beginning, but it seems like competition on the upcoming platform will soon get fiercer.

Microsoft Edge will be offered as a universal app in Windows 10, so it'll work on PCs, tablets, and smartphones, but it appears that users will be allowed to choose from a wide variety of browsers in the new OS.

Opera has already confirmed that it's developing a port of its browser for Windows 10 and now Mozilla says the same thing, explaining that Firefox will soon be fully compatible with the new OS.

In an announcement released recently and detailing the future of Firefox, Mozilla reveals the following (emphasis is ours):

“The first focus area is delivering an uncompromised user experience that ensures Firefox meets the most rigorous of quality and performance standards. This commitment is evident in the strides we’re making to improve the richest Web experiences like HTML5 video playback and game performance. We’ll also soon deliver Firefox to new platforms, such as Firefox for iOS and Windows 10, where we will provide an independent and high-performing alternative to the stock browser.”

Universal or desktop app?

Since no details have been provided, many are wondering whether Mozilla is planning to release a universal version of Firefox that would work across Windows 10 devices or simply make its desktop browser work on x86 and x64 PCs, tablets, and laptops.

Right now, the existing Firefox versions already work fine in Windows 10 preview builds, but Mozilla might be working to add full support for the RTM version coming July 29.

Needless to say, it's good to see more companies preparing their apps for Windows 10 and there's no doubt that Edge will face tough competition when it hits the market later this month.

Source

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HTML 5 is a step above flash because its safer but one of the side effects of HTML 5 in Firefox and Chrome is high cpu usage .

The bug has been preset in Firefox for over a year

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=970308

Also the bug has been present in Chrome along time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/39rhqg/high_cpu_use_on_html5_playback_especially_chrome/

You're better off opening videos in a standalone player . B)

heyyahblah

Agreed. Lol, man does HTML5 drive up the CPU usage higher then just FLASH did on youtube, holy shiit, what a difference. I feel bad for users with older computers, even my old (but still works) laptop with Windows 7 which is a Core 2 Duo, 1.66GHz and 4GB of RAM .... goes crazy on HTML5. I reverted back to flash player so the fan can relax and I can hear and watch the video and not see almost 100% and temps creep up over 65C. Poor computer, lol.

thunderpants

I've been using firefox on win 10 since i installed the O.S. .

It seems to work the same as on win7.

Microsoft Edge will be offered as a universal app in Windows 10, so it'll work on PCs, tablets, and smartphones, but it appears that users will be allowed to choose from a wide variety of browsers in the new OS.

There is some bad news, here which most folks won't notice. RL8WwPy.gif

heyyahblah

Whats with dcs18? I'm testing the TP of Windows 10 10162 build and Firefox 39.0 works just fine as well as Chrome. I haven't tested Opera yet. But I am sure it will work as well. Other users have confirmed that Pale Moon is working on W10.

So that's 4 good browsers that are working on 10. I'm sure Waterfox will work as well. The only one I can't confirm is Maxthon. That I don't know because I dont use or test that.

But I mean thats a good enough variety to use no? Who cares about IE 11 or Edge, Edge is pure crapp anyways. Its coded in the WinRT style and not a standard Win32 API so it acts like a stupid APP instead of a program like Firefox or Chrome, so screw it. I'm not interested in using crAPPS in Windows 10, I will personally remove them all via powershell command if they don't let me remove then via settings menu. I don't need those useless crAPPS bloating the O/S, that is targeting tablets and phones (Surface Pro and Windows Phone).

Which is stupid because these days people either use their iphones and ipads or Androids and Android Tablets. Hell you can get a Samsung 5.0 Lolipop tablet 8" for $120. Who in the hell would want a surface pro or a Windows Phone or an Xbox when they have Android and PS4.

Microsoft did a really stupid number in this new O/S thinking "masses" are going to buy their garbage. Just being honest. Not bashing anyone but from all my peers that I know, they only own PC's (laptops/desktops for computing) and consoles are PS3 or PS4, no one has an XBOX and phones are either an iphone or an Android (usually a Samsung or HTC).

Whats with dcs18?

Check out the word which I underlined on my previous post — I maintain that most folks will never be able to spot the bad news. :secret:

Check out the word which I underlined on my previous post — I maintain that most folks will never be able to spot the bad news. :secret:

Would that be because you haven't told us what that bad news is, twice? :P

Archived