Microsoft Edge Browser Needs an Ad Blocker, Windows 10 Users Say

Batu69

“Offer an ad blocker or I'll be using Firefox”

Microsoft Edge is Redmond's big bet for the browser world in Windows 10, and the company is working hard to make it a better rival to Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, but consumers expect even more features to be added before RTM.

One of the options that Windows 10 users are asking for is an ad blocker that would contribute to a cleaner web and a more streamlined browsing experience, and posts in the Windows Feedback app in preview builds of the new operating ask Microsoft to add it as soon as possible.

“We need an ad blocker for Spartan or I'll be using Firefox,” a Microsoft Edge suggestion posted two weeks ago and already having more than 1,100 upvotes reads.

Obviously, adding an ad blocker in Microsoft Edge might not be Redmond's cup of tea, so the company is very likely to ignore this request, which would clearly disappoint users who expected such a feature in the browser.

And yet, getting an ad blocker in Microsoft Edge is still possible thanks to the extension support that's projected to debut in the browser later this year.

Extension support

Microsoft has already confirmed that it will add extension support in Edge browser later this year, and all Google Chrome extensions are expected to work in the application with little tweaks from their developers.

As a result, ad blockers could also be ported to work in Microsoft Edge, so even if Microsoft isn't adding such a feature in its browsers, users could get one thanks to extension support.

Microsoft Edge will be the default browser in Windows 10, but Internet Explorer will continue to be offered for compatibility reasons, as the new Edge engine might not be fully compatible with some websites. Edge, however, will be the main option pushed to users on PCs, tablets, and smartphones.

Source

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and that is why i am \not using it right now... too many ads... wonder if adblock will add support for it ....or be allowed to do so and in no way edge or form will edge be allowed by me to be the default browser...crap. i changed the default start page in edge and i found a pop up later form microsoft asking me why i changed it....my reply...i asked them who they were to decide for me where my start page was to be...

and that is why i am \not using it right now... too many ads... wonder if adblock will add support for it ....or be allowed to do so and in no way edge or form will edge be allowed by me to be the default browser...crap. i changed the default start page in edge and i found a pop up later form microsoft asking me why i changed it....my reply...i asked them who they were to decide for me where my start page was to be...

same here i'l try adguard & mvp hosts

“Offer an ad blocker or I'll be using Firefox”

If an ad. blocker were to be somehow offered — I would still be using Firefox.

There are many other requirements from a browser than mere ad. blocking — until such time that Microsoft fuels their Edge browser on ActiveX, there is no looking forward to essential add-ons for tab management, Gecko cloning, video pimping, cookie restricting, download hosts hurdle-bypassing,visual cosmetic surgery . . . . . . . . . to name just a few.

On the other hand, keeping things as 'addons' can stop the program becoming bloatware. People then have choice.

As long as their browser is written around the outdated and discarded ActiveX technology, there is neither the option for the User nor for potential Developers of add-ons — the question of bloatware does not even begin to arise (there is no scope for bloatware, whatsoever — it is secondary.)

edge is way from being successful at this stage as all websites need to become compatible with the new technology so I don't expect much from it at an early stage at least

Another security flaw that ActiveX based browsers are prone to, is the utter lack of protection from JavaScript - the reference is to absence of an add-on, like NoScript.

As much as I dislike/detest Mozilla for their occasional changes/removals of functionality that I (and others) like/want/need and their labelling of anyone that complains as a "change resister", I have too many years invested in my Firefox install to even remotely consider moving to a different browser.

And while Mozilla graciously still allows add-on authors to undo the forced Mozilla changes, I can keep putting Firefox back to the way *I* want/like/need it.

kBIeldo.gif1VjjZ4q.gif

what's so funny?

Clue # 1:—

The famous quote attributed to the infamous Queen Marie Antoinette, "Let them eat cake."

kBIeldo.gif1VjjZ4q.gif

what's so funny?

Clue # 1:—

The famous quote attributed to the infamous Queen Marie Antoinette, "Let them eat cake."

... if they don't like the bread.

Archived