Google Gorilla

OrbingStorm

OrbingStorm

Google Photos' face recognition mislabels two people as gorillas

image2n-1-web.jpg

Google Photos' powerful face recognition engine might still need improvement.

On Sunday, Google had to scurry to fix an algorithm that categorized a photo of two black friends as gorillas in Google Photos.

Jacky Alcine, a 21-year-old programmer living in Brooklyn, tweeted a screen grab of Google Photos' mistake and wrote, "Google Photos, y'all f---ed up. My friend's not a gorilla."

Alcine's tweet immediately caught attention from Google and received a reply within two hours. Yonatan Zunger, chief architect of Social at Google, reached out to Alcine and asked permission to access his account in order to examine the data and work on a solution.

Google's app has an algorithm that uses auto-tagging to group photos together. It can automatically detect different faces, places and objects and categorize them in folders. So if a user is looking for pictures of their niece, they can just search for faces and Google Photos will pull up a folder of photos of that person.

"I understand HOW this happens; the problem is moreso on the WHY," Alcine wrote on Twitter. Source http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/google-photos-algorithm-mislabeled-people-gorillas-article-1.2278049

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ballistic Gelatin

So Donald Trump is a programmer for Google now ?

No, he's not that smart.

He is, however, an ignoramus. Commentator George Will said as much a year or two ago, and I heartily agree.

Hahaha brilliant.

Serves the young clits. of this generation right - for pouting at every photo op. :tehe:

Archived