Using Defragmentation Software With SSDs

fugitiv3

I have searched for an answer but every time is getting more confusing.

I have been using PerfectDisk for years now on my first laptop with 2 500GB hdds.

Now I got a new laptop with a samsung ssd 256gb and I would like to know if its okay or not to use a defragmentation software since I it has an SSD.

Many say that its not needed others say it increases life span and others say that it will decrease its life.

Can any one using an SSD or has more knowledge on these stuff advise?

Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely DON'T use defragmentation software on any ssd.

It only increases wear leveling.

Can you please be more specific and why you support that?

In fact, you cannot use, if you're not the Superman or fakir.

But You can use Raxco Perfect Disk for optimizing SSD.
PerfectDisk uses its special SSD Optimize setting for solid state drives that, instead of defragmenting files, consolidates fragmented free space:

Do you ever defrag USB Flash Drive, No, same thing.

1. The physical data placement on an SSD is handled solely by the SSD's firmware,

and what it reports to Windows is NOT how the data is actually stored on the SSD.

The physical data placement a defragger shows in sector chart has nothing to do with reality.

The data is NOT where Windows thinks it is, and Windows has no control over where the data is actually placed.

To even out usage on its flash memory chips (and to take advantage of parallel readings) SSD firmware

intentionally splits data up across ALL of the SSD's memory chips,

and it also moves data around on these chips when it isn't busy reading or writing.

Windows never sees any of this, so if you do defrag Windows will simply cause a whole bunch of needless I/O

to the SSD

and this will do nothing except reducing the life span of the SSD.

2. All SSD manufacturers suggest against it.

I use the software provided by the SSD Manufacturer and let it control settings. I use a Samsung SSD 850 Pro.

Defragmenting is re-arrange your data on a harddisk so the read/write head doesn't have to search for the right spot to read or write data.

SSD doesn't have moving read/write head and so defragmenting is of no use.

SSD and USB sticks are made of memory flash chips that can only be wrtitten x times.

If you defragment these devices, it causes for a massive write cycles on your flash chips and so the life of it will be decreased fast.

I use the Windows built in defragmentation software to Trim my SSD every now and again.

I believe most SSD's these days have something called Garbage Collection which is a process the SSD carries out automatically when it is idle. Don't ask me what that is exactly. In order to get the SSD to carry out this process I sign out of Windows whenever I am not using the PC so the SSD is idle but still powered up.

In order to decrease the number of writes to the SSD I have a Ramdrive where all the Temp and browser files are written. Of course you need sufficient ram to do this. Fugitiv3, you didn't mention the model of Samsung SSD. The 850Pro has Rapid Mode which is basically a hidden Ramdrive.

I use the Windows built in defragmentation software to Trim my SSD every now and again.

I believe most SSD's these days have something called Garbage Collection which is a process the SSD carries out automatically when it is idle. Don't ask me what that is exactly. In order to get the SSD to carry out this process I sign out of Windows whenever I am not using the PC so the SSD is idle but still powered up.

In order to decrease the number of writes to the SSD I have a Ramdrive where all the Temp and browser files are written. Of course you need sufficient ram to do this. Fugitiv3, you didn't mention the model of Samsung SSD. The 850Pro has Rapid Mode which is basically a hidden Ramdrive.

It comes preinstalled with Lenovo T440 its starts like MZMTE......-000L1

anws thanks for the info though!

Archived