Avira wins case upholding its right to block adware

Batu69

Security firm Avira has won a court case that can not only be chalked up as a win for consumer rights, but could also set something of a precedent. German company Freemium.com took Avira to court for warning users about 'potentially unwanted applications' that could be bundled along with a number of popular games and applications.

Freemium.com downloads included a number of unwanted extras in the form of browser toolbars, free trial applications, adware, and other crapware. Avira's antivirus software warned users installing such applications; Freemium took objection to this and filed a cease and desist letter, claiming anti-competitive practices. But the court ruled in Avira's favor, saying it could continue to flag up and block questionable software.

Freemium runs a number of download and gaming sites, and its own installer is frequently used in place of a regular setup executable. It is used to install software from partners and advertisers to generate extra funds. The company claimed its ad revenue has dropped by 50 percent since its software had been flagged. The court said that Avira was well within its rights to issue warnings about potentially unwanted components. Freemium was ordered to pay all court costs.

Avira CEO Travis Witteveen said:

This ruling establishes a major legal milestone in the fight against misleading consumers into unintentionally installing unwanted software onto their computers. Earlier this year we established clear guidelines defining unethical software behavior, and defining what our security software will block. We believe in 'freemium' and advertising-supported business models, however they must remain transparent and ethical in their implementation.

Freemium had argued that users were given the ability to opt out of installing extra software, but the court found that opting out was not made sufficiently clear.

Source

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ad ware execs should be deported back in time to hard labor camps in Stalinist Russia :angry:

Isn't avira one of the Antivirus that offers PUP with there free version product ?

Are they going to block themselves ? :lol: :P

ad ware execs should be deported back in time to hard labor camps in Stalinist Russia :angry:

Or should be departed back in time as a black person in the US. :rolleyes:

told ya before...go pick a fight with someone else...i am Canadian...we mistreated the natives in Canada.... black people were mistreated in america... get your facts straight when you want to chirp... you always get it wrong

told ya before...go pick a fight with someone else...i am Canadian...we mistreated the natives in Canada.... black people were mistreated in america... get your facts straight when you want to chirp... you always get it wrong

What's wrong? You wished them to be treated as people were in Stalin time, I wished they were treated as black people were in America, or I'm not entitled to a racist opinion as you are?

There is one single fact, you're romanian not canadian, or you forgot your relatives? :))

my parents were Romanian and Scandinavian i know my heritage and i am proud to be CANADIAN... where i was born... and as my passport says... i really do not know why you have to try and yank people chains all the time...as i said if you wish to have fight go find someone else or go join your russian army in the ukraine.... ...my original post was NOT intended to be a racist remark...however all your responses are pretty much intended to be fuel to a fire only you wish to attend...i will no longer respond to any of your taunts

Really you have no idea of what you're talking about . The British had slaves in the USA before there was a USA . Witch the Dutch 1st brought them there and sold them to the British . So it was other countries fault that they were in the USA to began with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_colonial_United_States

Before slavery ended there were no slaves in the USA . The Southern states pulled out of the union at that time the USA was divided into 2 countries . If it were not for the USA had of won there would there still be two countries in the USA . The Union won those peoples freedom from the south.

It is said that these countries have slavery still today:

• Cote d'Ivoire
  • Mali
  • Mauritania
  • Niger
  • Sudan

Russia had slaves before there too.

Author David P. Forsythe has written: "In 1649 up to three-quarters of Muscovy's peasants, or 13 to 14 million people, were serfs whose material lives were barely distinguishable from slaves. Perhaps another 1.5 million were formally enslaved, with Russian slaves serving Russian masters.."Slavery remained a major institution in Russia until 1723, when Peter the Great converted the household slaves into house serfs. Russian agricultural slaves were formally converted into serfs earlier in 1679.Russia's more than 23 million privately held serfs were freed by the Emancipation reform of 1861.State-owned serfs were emancipated in 1866.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery#Modern_history

so pointing one finger at another country shows you dont even know history.

Really you have no idea of what you're talking about . The British had slaves in the USA before there was a USA . Witch the Dutch 1st brought them there and sold them to the British . So it was other countries fault that they were in the USA to began with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_colonial_United_States

Before slavery ended there were no slaves in the USA . The Southern states pulled out of the union at that time the USA was divided into 2 countries . If it were not for the USA had of won there would there still be two countries in the USA . The Union won those peoples freedom from the south.

It is said that these countries have slavery still today:

• Cote d'Ivoire
  • Mali
  • Mauritania
  • Niger
  • Sudan

Russia had slaves before there too.

Author David P. Forsythe has written: "In 1649 up to three-quarters of Muscovy's peasants, or 13 to 14 million people, were serfs whose material lives were barely distinguishable from slaves. Perhaps another 1.5 million were formally enslaved, with Russian slaves serving Russian masters.."Slavery remained a major institution in Russia until 1723, when Peter the Great converted the household slaves into house serfs. Russian agricultural slaves were formally converted into serfs earlier in 1679.Russia's more than 23 million privately held serfs were freed by the Emancipation reform of 1861.State-owned serfs were emancipated in 1866.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery#Modern_history

so pointing one finger at another country shows you dont even know history.

Do you even understand english? Who cares who slaved who. I just want them be departed back in time as a black person in the US. Now of corse propaganda activits like you like to misunderstand what other says and spam the forum with irelevant comments. Ps: I like how you like Wikipedia that much , and also how an american, David P. Forsythe know what happened in Russia when he wasn't even born :)) (a person who write books about how bad is Russia's and China's democracy).Also we all know how history is manipulated by the US, if we read more about it, US didn't dropped 2 bombs over Japan, those bombs just felt from the sky, they don't have anything to do about it :))

Now let's move on.

Why did they drop 2 bombs on Japan? it was because Japan attacked pearl harbor they attacked American soil it may be in your history books they didn't but its in mine they did.

Also we took Okinawa over for along time . We even made them drive on the same side of the street we do . We didn't give them control back tell 1972 . And we still have military there today .

How much plainer than this can you get

In August 1945, during the final stage of the Second World War, the United States dropped atomic bombs on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The two bombings, which killed at least 129,000 people, remain the only use of nuclear weapons for warfare in history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki

. A well known Russian supporter like you would love if the USA would just set back and let other places attack us without us doing anything back ! Were not France, if you attack us we will drop bombs on you ! We never hided this fact we will . what did japan say when they attacked us . they said they just made a mistake that they woke up the sleeping giant. ;)

You're the one who complained in a topic the other day about you came here at this to learn code but every time I ever seem you were in some topic spreading Russian propaganda . Russians are no better And I understand english better than you . its my native tongue . :lol:

if you dont like Wikipedia here it is from russiapedia

For hundreds of years, from as early as the 11th century up to the middle of the 19th, Russians lived in a feudal society. At the bottom was a huge class of peasants, very few of them free. Most toiled their lives away as krepostnoy krestyanin, or unfree peasants, commonly known as serfs.

From the 11th till the end of the 16th century the elements of serfdom were scattered among certain classes of the rural population.

Not all serfs were the same. Smerds were serfs allowed to own property, although it’s also been a term used to refer to rural folk in general. Apart from nominally owning land though, they couldn’t leave the area they were born in and had to perform tasks for the good of the community as a whole.

Kholops were the lowest of the low. They were treated as true slaves. Their masters had complete control over them. They were able to kill them, sell them, or use them to pay off debts.

http://russiapedia.rt.com/of-russian-origin/serfs/

Maybe we should sent them back to Russia in the days of the Kholops ? you want talk about the USA

African slaves in Russia

In 1684, Evgeni, The brother of the Tsar Peter the Great secretly negotiated the transaction of 2 500 slaves to work in house and fields, with Zadek ibn Farouk, famous black slaves trader, based in Guinea.

Evgeni Nicolaievitch, an eccentric person, decided to replace all his slaves and servants with Africans. The slaves arrived a year later trough the Baltic sea and were settled in Kazan, 500 km from Moscow, where Evgeni and his household were living.

But the problems appeared quite soon and after 3 years Evgeni drove all the Africans out of Kazan. After a long odyssey, they settled down in the Ukraine, the Ural Mountains and Balkans, and founded colonies which have now completely disappeared, thinned out by epidemics and famines of the 19th century.

"The Black Slavics" represent the music of those Africans and their descendants who settled in Russia. The Tsar's law prohibited them from singing in their mother tongue or singing their own religious music, which was considered too rhythmic for the Church’s liking.

http://users.skynet.be/sky77600/blackslavics/Black%20Slavics%20angl.htm

Now this nation that I love .Has fallen under attack A mighty sucker punch came flyin’ in From somewhere in the back. Soon as we could see clearly Through our big black eye

Man, we lit up your world Like the 4th of July.

Justice will be served ,And the battle will rage .This big dog will fight When you rattle his cage And you’ll be sorry that you messed with The U.S. of A.

`Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass It`s the American way

TOBY KEITH

Why did they drop 2 bombs on Japan? it was because Japan attacked pearl harbor they attacked American soil it may be in your history books they didn't but its in mine they did.

Also we took Okinawa over for along time . We even made them drive on the same side of the street we do . We didn't give them control back tell 1972 . And we still have military there today .

How much plainer than this can you get

In August 1945, during the final stage of the Second World War, the United States dropped atomic bombs on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The two bombings, which killed at least 129,000 people, remain the only use of nuclear weapons for warfare in history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki

. A well known Russian supporter like you would love if the USA would just set back and let other places attack us without us doing anything back ! Were not France, if you attack us we will drop bombs on you ! We never hided this fact we will . what did japan say when they attacked us . they said they just made a mistake that they woke up the sleeping giant. ;)

You're the one who complained in a topic the other day about you came here at this to learn code but every time I ever seem you were in some topic spreading Russian propaganda . Russians are no better And I understand english better than you . its my native tongue . :lol:

if you dont like Wikipedia here it is from russiapedia

For hundreds of years, from as early as the 11th century up to the middle of the 19th, Russians lived in a feudal society. At the bottom was a huge class of peasants, very few of them free. Most toiled their lives away as krepostnoy krestyanin, or unfree peasants, commonly known as serfs.

From the 11th till the end of the 16th century the elements of serfdom were scattered among certain classes of the rural population.

Not all serfs were the same. Smerds were serfs allowed to own property, although it’s also been a term used to refer to rural folk in general. Apart from nominally owning land though, they couldn’t leave the area they were born in and had to perform tasks for the good of the community as a whole.

Kholops were the lowest of the low. They were treated as true slaves. Their masters had complete control over them. They were able to kill them, sell them, or use them to pay off debts.

http://russiapedia.rt.com/of-russian-origin/serfs/

Maybe we should sent them back to Russia in the days of the Kholops ? you want talk about the USA

African slaves in Russia

In 1684, Evgeni, The brother of the Tsar Peter the Great secretly negotiated the transaction of 2 500 slaves to work in house and fields, with Zadek ibn Farouk, famous black slaves trader, based in Guinea.

Evgeni Nicolaievitch, an eccentric person, decided to replace all his slaves and servants with Africans. The slaves arrived a year later trough the Baltic sea and were settled in Kazan, 500 km from Moscow, where Evgeni and his household were living.

But the problems appeared quite soon and after 3 years Evgeni drove all the Africans out of Kazan. After a long odyssey, they settled down in the Ukraine, the Ural Mountains and Balkans, and founded colonies which have now completely disappeared, thinned out by epidemics and famines of the 19th century.

"The Black Slavics" represent the music of those Africans and their descendants who settled in Russia. The Tsar's law prohibited them from singing in their mother tongue or singing their own religious music, which was considered too rhythmic for the Church’s liking.

http://users.skynet.be/sky77600/blackslavics/Black%20Slavics%20angl.htm

Now this nation that I love .Has fallen under attack A mighty sucker punch came flyin’ in From somewhere in the back. Soon as we could see clearly Through our big black eye

Man, we lit up your world Like the 4th of July.

Justice will be served ,And the battle will rage .This big dog will fight When you rattle his cage And you’ll be sorry that you messed with The U.S. of A.

`Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass It`s the American way

TOBY KEITH

You made me laugh with all these nonsenses :)) Copy and paste without knowing anything about it. Now let's just take everything is written on the internet as facts :))

Ps. The whole US education system is a joke ... so let's not talk about what is your history books and what's not.

@stephen...you cannot argue with a person who is arguing for the sole purpose of arguing /and causing trouble...as he will always just say things just to piss you off... take thing out of context and will also look for new ways to be annoying when he proved out to be doing exactly what i just said.. he will also never admit he is wrong...even when he knows he is... sounds familiar...it should you are discussing this thread with him now...and he is doing exactly as i described

@stephen...you cannot argue with a person who is arguing for the sole purpose of arguing /and causing trouble...as he will always just say things just to piss you off... take thing out of context and will also look for new ways to be annoying when he proved out to be doing exactly what i just said.. he will also never admit he is wrong...even when he knows he is... sounds familiar...it should you are discussing this thread with him now...and he is doing exactly as i described

yep I see what you mean he make up fairy tales about how things are about somewhere he most likely never been . Do you ever me say anything bad about Russia ? no Because I try to be neutral only time I speak up is when people say absurd things about the country I live in that's nonfactual . I live here and I don't agree with many things my government done like the IRAQ wars and what they done to my descents the Native Americans . But still Its a whole lot better place to live than Russia.

yep I see what you mean he make up fairy tales about how things are about somewhere he most likely never been . Do you ever me say anything bad Russia ? no Because I try to be neutral only time I speak up is when people say absurd things about the country I live in that's nonfactual . I live here and I dont agree with many things my government done like the IRAQ wars and what they done to my descents the Native Americans . But still Its a whole better place to live than Russia.

in a strange way he thinks i started this as i said the adware execs should be sent back to stalinist russian labor camps as punishment...but i certainly do not feel the least bit guilty for saying such a thing...he just used it for an opening to start acting like a horse ass...i quit responding to him and he then picked it up with you

Archived