Malwarebytes Amnesty program allowing Pirate Keys to turn into Genuine Premium License Keys

Mr Orus

Malwarebytes pardons Pirates and gives away free one year premium license keys. Malwarebytes Corporation is after the counterfeit keys, they’re running ‘Amnesty key’ program with which, if Malwarebytes Program detects abused, pirated or counterfeit keys during the upgrade to version 2.1.8, then the user will be presented with a special screen (Locate your license key) with two options (check the screenshot below).

Selecting the first — ‘I’m not sure where I got key from, or I downloaded it from the Internet’ — or second option –‘I purchased my key’– will issue users a new and unique key of Malwarebytes anti-Malware premium, which user can use for one year or 12 months for free.

Malwarebytes-locating-your-license-key-s

If you don’t activate the key or click the ‘Cancel’ button, then you’ll remain on the free version.

Next go to ‘My Account’ screen, note down the new key, your old key will be disabled after a period of time. This way, Malwarebytes disables all the pirated keys and, those who got Premium keys will enjoy one year protection and can renew if they desire when they about to expire.

What is Malwarebytes Amnesty Program?

The program page says “The Internet is full of pioneers and cowboys. It’s also got its fair share of pirates and trolls. Some of those bad guys may have duped you into purchasing a counterfeit version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Or perhaps we’ve simply detected a problem with your key. Not to worry. We’re here to help.”

“Malwarebytes is offering a free replacement key for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium customers who have been inconvenienced by piracy or abuse. This new key will be exclusive to you going forward.”

NOTE: If you’ve activated MBAM by entering your ID and license key normally like me (I’ve purchased Pro version lifetime license three years back through Cleverbridge and is working fine), then you don’t need to worry, your license key will continue to work, for confirmation, check the ‘My Account’ screen. Locating your license key window only appears for invalid keys.

Amnesty program won’t last for long, it could run for few weeks. Malwarebytes CEO, Marcin has given explanation about new licensing system here.

Source

• Replies 17
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bugger that never paid and have a "Lifetime" With Premium Features

There's a problem with them doing this tough .. some pirate keys matches legit ones and many having to get it sorted out with the company because they are blacklisting legit ones too. . And when its all said and done someone will just most likely patch it to work anyways. ;) They fooled with keys before years back.

Some peeps are not happy at all about the amnesty. One asked for a refund for which Marcin (CEO) agreed too.

knowledge-Spammer

they not

Amnesty the program have a big bug and hacker and cracker or badguys and stop the program from working means u can not remove virus ?

that need to be fixed 1st more then the keys i think

I just installed v2.1.8.1057 and got a valid key for 404 days

I just installed v2.1.8.1057 and got a valid key for 404 days meds for life! This kind of BS should insult any intelligent persons intellect!

I wonder if you'll get a prompt about the key if you stay on version 1.XX?? I tried v. 2 awhile back and couldn't stand it, went back to v.1. Maybe you can just keep using old key if you stay on V. 1 ????

Hi mray88, may I ask which version you use ( v.1. ? ), I have a set-up for 1.75-version, does it work ok in Win7 ??

Just removed the 2.1.8-version and installed the 1.75, updates and scans perfect , this version is much easier to handle and less bloated also !!

Hi mray88, may I ask which version you use ( v.1. ? ), I have a set-up for 1.75-version, does it work ok in Win7 ??

Just removed the 2.1.8-version and installed the 1.75, updates and scans perfect , this version is much easier to handle and less bloated also !!

Hey Pete!

I am using V. 1.75.0.1300 on Win 8.1. Seems to work okay, haven't spotted any difficulties however I only use it for manual scans and have most of the other functions turned off. And yes, V.2 seemed bloated and made it harder to use malwarebytes unless you were willing to use it the way they want you to instead of the ways you might prefer.

Hope that helps.

It helped indeed ! Im testing this 1.75, it does not block nsane-down and its very tolerant with which sites you open, did not block anything so far.......

Some peeps are not happy at all about the amnesty. One asked for a refund for which Marcin (CEO) agreed too.

It wasnt the ceo it was a moderator named LDTate I know hes probably going to go through marcin to ok it with him but in that thread LDTate is the one that agreed to help. You cant just choose purchased and expect a free key you dont think there smart enough to realize you bought it and who didnt. THey could be keeping a database of pirated keys and the people that used to use for future reference. Choose option one if you didnt buy it if you cept reading you would have seen there going to offer twelve months free and after the twelve months there going to ask you to provide proof of purchase. Your just delaying the inevitable by choosing you own it option if havent bought it..

It wasnt the ceo it was a moderator named LDTate I know hes probably going to go through marcin to ok it with him but in that thread LDTate is the one that agreed to help. You cant just choose purchased and expect a free key you dont think there smart enough to realize you bought it and who didnt. THey could be keeping a database of pirated keys and the people that used to use for future reference. Choose option one if you didnt buy it if you cept reading you would have seen there going to offer twelve months free and after the twelve months there going to ask you to provide proof of purchase. Your just delaying the inevitable by choosing you own it option if havent bought it..

bpHsI63.png

Proof enough for you, Mr Holmes?

This is insane. MB, if you are handing out free lifetime licenses to pirates, then I would like my money back as well.

It's called amnesty for a reason.

Those that have pirated copies can now come clean.

Those that have been ripped off by "crooks" shouldn't be punished.

We would rather give away a few free Malwarebytes (MBAM) licenses to those users in order to keep infected pc's infecting other users.

Just consider it a good faith mission.

No one is getting rich charging $25 a year for coverage of three devices.

We're talking about what, 10 soft drinks?

The amnesty program is short lived and after that, each user that has been ripped off, will be a one by one case.

We are different from many other protection providers as one can use our Free version to manually remove infections.

And why doesn't it ask for payment proof when clicking on option 2? Is MBAM too lazy to check? Are they just fine with it? Also, the key used by pirated copies, is always the same. Why didn't MBAM blacklist this key and only offer this option to other non-genuine keys? This makes no sense at all.

If it is this easy to obtain a free genuine lifetime license, why not all download a pirated copy, obtain a legal key, repeat this process infinite times and sell the keys on eBay??

No, we are not too lazy to check.

Yes we have the blacklisted keys.

When the amnesty is over, that will kick in.

One will need proof of purchase after that.

As for sharing a legal key, that will be a bad idea as your key you shared will get blacklisted as well.

Whomever it was in this topic that wanted a refund, PM me with your Cleverbridge Reference key and I'll see what I can do.

This is what I was talking about I didnt know there was a different thread..

This is what I was talking about I didnt know there was a different thread..

I won't fault you for that. As I said earlier to a member of this forum I don't read every topic.

It was fun while it lasted

Just uninstalled it

Didn't like it that much anyhow :)

Archived