pcie m.2 ssd

TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie

I have just got a new Asus Maximus VI Gene motherboard (to replace the board I just ruined), and I am interested in these m.2 pcie cards after watching videos on youtube.

The thing is that as far as I can tell, on this board the card uses one of the pcie slots that runs at pcie 2.
Would I see any performance increase over my sata 6gbps ssd if I use a m.2 pcie card in this board...?

EDIT: Just for clarity, I mean using the m.2 multi thing on the board, not a pie card.

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

M.2 SSD's are using PCI-E lanes.

M.2 SSD's can use SATA 600 or PCI-E lanes, so inform what connection your SSD wil be using.

Only iwth the PCI-E version, you will have higher bandwith.

M.2 slot on motherboard can use PCI-E x2 or x4 lanes, look at your motherboard manual what speed the motherboard supports and buy a M.2 PCI-E x2 or x4 SSD according your mother M.2 maximal speed.

TrickyDickie

@Ragdd: Thanks for your reply.

I want it to use the PCI-e lanes.

The board's manual says it will run on PCI-e x2. Actually, that the PCI-e slot will be disabled if I use this card.

Also (I am very confused about all of this lol), there is a little thing ("multi reader") that plugs into the board itself, not a PCI-e slot.

The video I watched showed blistering speeds, but that was PCI-e 3x, not 2. By this I mean the speed, not the port lol

I suppose that what I am really asking is if the PCI-e 2x bus speed is faster than the transfers I can get with the sata 6gbps ssd drive that I have now.

Sorry if I am just adding to the confusion by trying to explain myself! :-)

SATA 600 is maximum 600 MB/sec

PCI-E 2.0 x1 is maximum 500 GB/sec and PCI-E 3.0 x1 maximum 1 GB/sec

So PCI-E 2.0 x2 = maximum 1 GB which is faster then SATA 600.

Plextor PX-G256M6e M.2 SDD has 770 MB/sec read speed and 580 MB/sec write speed as maximum sequential.

So its faster then a SATA 600 SSD.

Archived