How to reset a forgotten Windows 8 account password

Ghost RideR

Ghost RideR

If you buy a computer or are working a computer with windows 8 you might find it harder to do simple tasks because of the UEFI. Today I got a computer in my office where all off the sudden he could not log onto his Windows 8 account, he must have somehow changed the windows 8 logon password and had no idea what the new password was.

Because of the UEFI bios, a lot of the bootable utilities I would use to reset the password couldn’t see the hard drive, including bartpe. The bios also had very little settings.

Upon looking online there was a neat little password reset hack for Windows 8

• Boot off a Windows 8 DVD / USB
  • Select Repair Your Computer

repairx.jpg

Select Troubleshoot – refresh or reset your pc or use advanced tools

trouble.JPG

Select Advanced options

advacned.JPG

Select command prompt

adb2.jpg

Once the command prompt appears navigate to the c:\windows\system32

cmde.jpg

• Rename utilman.exe to anything else (ren utilman.exe utilman2.exe)
  • Rename cmd.exe to utilman.exe (ren cmd.exe utilman.exe)
  • Now restart the computer.

Once inside windows at the password box, click the little icon in the bottom left of your screen. At this point a command prompt will open up. At the command prompt type

Net user (Then your username) *

Make sure there is a space between your username and the *. Then press enter. It will now ask you to enter a new password for your account. You have to type it twice.
That’s it! You should now be able to access the account again! Once you are back into your account you will want to go back to c:\windows\system32 and rename those files back to what they should be

Source

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1146788-how-to-reset-a-forgotten-windows-8-account-password/?do=findComment&comment=595633134

• Replies 1
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you buy a computer or are working a computer with windows 8 you might find it harder to do simple tasks because of the UEFI. Today I got a computer in my office where all off the sudden he could not log onto his Windows 8 account, he must have somehow changed the windows 8 logon password and had no idea what the new password was.

Because of the UEFI bios, a lot of the bootable utilities I would use to reset the password couldn’t see the hard drive, including bartpe. The bios also had very little settings.

Upon looking online there was a neat little password reset hack for Windows 8

• Boot off a Windows 8 DVD / USB
  • Select Repair Your Computer

repairx.jpg

Select Troubleshoot – refresh or reset your pc or use advanced tools

trouble.JPG

Select Advanced options

advacned.JPG

Select command prompt

adb2.jpg

Once the command prompt appears navigate to the c:\windows\system32

cmde.jpg

• Rename utilman.exe to anything else (ren utilman.exe utilman2.exe)
  • Rename cmd.exe to utilman.exe (ren cmd.exe utilman.exe)
  • Now restart the computer.

Once inside windows at the password box, click the little icon in the bottom left of your screen. At this point a command prompt will open up. At the command prompt type

Net user (Then your username) *

Make sure there is a space between your username and the *. Then press enter. It will now ask you to enter a new password for your account. You have to type it twice.

That’s it! You should now be able to access the account again! Once you are back into your account you will want to go back to c:\windows\system32 and rename those files back to what they should be

I do not know, if to copy another person's text 100%, would still be polite to refer to the author and to the source text...

Otherwise, it is theft.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1146788-how-to-reset-a-forgotten-windows-8-account-password/?p=595633134

Archived