Guns N' Roses' Sweet Child O' Mine voted greatest guitar riff of all time

Batu69

Slash's iconic opening riff topped a Sky Arts poll for the launch of Guitar Star - with Smoke On The Water and Johnny B. Goode making up the top three

Axl-Rose-and-Slash-of-Guns-N-Roses-perfo

Chart-topper: Slash's riff was voted the greatest-ever in the Sky Arts poll

Guns N’ Roses ’ hit Sweet Child O’ Mine has been hailed as having the greatest guitar riff ever played.

The opening to the track, which started out as a warm exercise by lead guitarist Slash, was crowned top by 2,000 music fans.

In the Sky Arts poll, carried out to mark the launch of Guitar Star, a series looking for top talent, Jimi Hendrix was named the greatest guitarist to have ever lived. He beat Eric Clapton and Queen’s Brian May to claim the title.

Edith Bowman, presenter of the new show, said: “What a fantastic list to remind us why the guitar is still one of the most popular instruments all over the world.

"Hendrix has been voted the number one and it was amazing to see and hear how he is still inspiring new generations of guitar players in our audition process.”

Ironically Slash is said to have hated iconic song Sweet Child O’ Mine, which came to life when fellow band members heard him playing the riff in their Hollywood as he warmed up for a rehearsal session.

Rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan and Steven Adler, added chords, a baseline and drums and the rock anthem was born.

The riff beat the opening to Deep Purple’s 1972 rock anthem Smoke On The Water to claim the top spot.

Johnny B. Goode by legendary U.S guitarist Chuck Berry, released in 1958, came third, while Sunshine of Your Love by Eric Clapton and Cream, which came out nine years later, was fourth.

Money For Nothing by Dire Straits claimed fifth spot, which features Mark Knopfler’s incredible guitar skills.

The-Rolling-Stones.jpg

Top 10: Keith Richards came seventh in the poll

Other riffs to make the top 20 include Voodoo Child by Jimi Hendrix, which came sixth, and (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones which was seventh.

In eighth place was Livin’ on a Prayer by Bon Jovi while Layla, by Derek and the Dominos was ninth.

Completing the top ten was Down, Down by Status Quo.

The list features hits spanning more then five decades including the 1950s, 60, and 70s.

Guitar Star starts on Sky Arts on Tuesday at 8pm.

Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/guns-n-roses-sweet-child-5838340

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For guitar solo, check out Brian May's on "Brighton Rock" the opening track of Queen's album "Sheer Heart Attack"..tremendous!!!! :showoff: :showoff: :showoff:

Nice. Guns N' Roses' is one of my favorite.

jimbojet2011

Guitarsolo from Toto's Little wing

myfeetstink

.. wonder why Eddie Van Halen gets no respect - felt he had some memorable leads (Eruption) plus iconic 'Dances' across the Fret !! :(

I saw a documentary recently, all about famous guitar riffs.

And after seeing that, I was tempted to believe that Rock (and Pop) history are a result of the development of guitar play.

My vote would have gone to 'Smoke on the Water', not because I admire it, but because you cannot loose it, once you have heard it.

I really like Roy Buchanan's version of 'Hey Joe'.

Archived