Recommend Me a Stand-Alone Firewall

UpGrade

Hi guys,

I need your help! I am looking for a Stand-Alone firewall that it very good something like Agnitum or Emsisoft Online Armour (Not developed any more) but one that is up to date and has great security is zone alarm still as good as it used to be ? or is there something better ?

• Replies 42
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its pretty basic buddy but u may like

Windows Firewall control

but if u really want STAND ALONE

u can go for COMODO FIREWALL

regards

ZoneAlarm is pretty good for beginners.

cisco ASA 5xxx series. you can get the 5505 for less than $100 and it's far better than any software solution

its pretty basic buddy but u may like

Windows Firewall control

but if u really want STAND ALONE

u can go for COMODO FIREWALL

regards

thanks i will give comodo a try does it have advanced options for configuring each program ?

Just suggestion, try this >> http://tinywall.pados.hu/

tried this before thanks for the suggestion but its a bit too basic im looking for something more powerful.

For The Foundry, use Windows Firewall Control to avoid their mail...

Thanks for the suggestion but again its just a bit too basic for me i need lots of options to configure each program and i want to be prompted for every thing and also i want HIPS protection

Thanks for the suggestion but again its just a bit too basic for me i need lots of options to configure each program and i want to be prompted for every thing and also i want HIPS protection

What makes you feel that "lots of options" are absent in WFC - also, that WFC "cannot already prompt the User, for every notification?" lEMe01Z.gif

I am looking for a Stand-Alone firewall

and also i want HIPS protection

I see a contradiction, never mind - COMODO seems to be what you are looking at. :think:

FWIW, even the Publishers of COMODO claim that it is a standalone - nonetheless, it is the most effective firewall (largely due to its HIPS component.)

The best free firewall : http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall-protection.htm

More articles on not only FREE firewalls : https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=the+best+free+firewall#q=the+best+firewall+for+windows

.....................................................................................................................................

I would also recomend COMODO for you to try first.

BTW You might be interested to read these 2 useful articles (Comodo configuration) :

Comodo Firewall (V3) Mini Tutorial

How to Tame Comodo Defense+ 3 Without Disabling It

shorty6100

If you are looking for an advanced firewall, Comodo is your best bet. Extremely configurable, and probably the best if you know what you are doing. Back in my novice days, I found Comodo too complex with popups appearing all too often. I personally use Windows 8.1 Pro's built-in Firewall (which Webroot Secureanywhere uses).I have had zero issues with it.

Ballistic Gelatin

I can fully recommend Comodo Firewall as have others here. I have been using it for more than 5 years now.

What makes you feel that "lots of options" are absent in WFC - also, that WFC "cannot already prompt the User, for every notification?" lEMe01Z.gif

I see a contradiction, never mind - COMODO seems to be what you are looking at. :think:

FWIW, even the Publishers of COMODO claim that it is a standalone - nonetheless, it is the most effective firewall (largely due to its HIPS component.)

well with WFC i have never had as many popups as lets say zonealarm of Agnitum, Agnitum by far from all the ones i have tried seems to tell you literally everything that's happening i got more pop ups than zonealarm and i know it had great reviews i enjoyed using it but i find it doesnt work at all with zemanna antilogger installed too it crashes my whole pc on windows 8.1

And i dont understand why is that a contradiction ?

Thanks for the info on Comodo

The best free firewall : http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall-protection.htm

More articles on not only FREE firewalls : https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=the+best+free+firewall#q=the+best+firewall+for+windows

.....................................................................................................................................

I would also recomend COMODO for you to try first.

BTW You might be interested to read these 2 useful articles (Comodo configuration) :

Comodo Firewall (V3) Mini Tutorial

How to Tame Comodo Defense+ 3 Without Disabling It

Thanks alot ill take a look

well with WFC i have never had as many popups as lets say zonealarm of Agnitum, Agnitum by far from all the ones i have tried seems to tell you literally everything that's happening i got more pop ups than zonealarm and i know it had great reviews i enjoyed using it but i find it doesnt work at all with zemanna antilogger installed too it crashes my whole pc on windows 8.1

The verbosity of pop-ups depends purely on one's configuration of the Notifications - there is no other firewall on the planet which boasts of the kind of granularity that WFC offers on the Notification front. WFC can be configured on one hand for the most noisy pop-ups and on the other, for complete silence (deployment to Client machines won't even know there is a firewall auditing traffic in the background.) BTW, WFC is not a firewall - it is, but a front-end GUI (the steering to drive Microsoft Windows Firewall.)

ZoneAlarm, as you quite rightly observed on your first post - was a good firewall . . . . . . . . . . unfortunately, that is a thing of the past (it remains, though - the most User-friendly firewall, of all times.)

As for the COMODO contradiction, I am afraid a firewall preloaded with a HIPS module can just not be considered as standalone - that is a gross misnomer. A firewall and HIPS are 2 totally different security modules with very distinctly different functions. Some might want to argue that the HIPS component built into COMODO allows itself to be disabled, at the time of the installation - what they might not want to admit is that despite the HIPS module being disabled, at installation, the COMODO installer nevertheless delivers the HIPS payload onto the system.

You may check out the above, for yourself.

Hey, Mr. UpGrade!

All you need is Windows Firewall Control

It covers all, but you too early to prejudge it

Try it, maybe you need more time to understand...

Why you need Hips, btw ?!

for me it's useless

jimbojet2011

Comodo if your a geek or Privatefirewall

The verbosity of pop-ups depends purely on one's configuration of the Notifications - there is no other firewall on the planet which boasts of the kind of granularity that WFC offers on the Notification front. WFC can be configured on one hand for the most noisy pop-ups and on the other, for complete silence (deployment to Client machines won't even know there is a firewall auditing traffic in the background.) BTW, WFC is not a firewall - it is, but a front-end GUI (the steering to drive Microsoft Windows Firewall.)

ZoneAlarm, as you quite rightly observed on your first post - was a good firewall . . . . . . . . . . unfortunately, that is a thing of the past (it remains, though - the most User-friendly firewall, of all times.)

As for the COMODO contradiction, I am afraid a firewall preloaded with a HIPS module can just not be considered as standalone - that is a gross misnomer. A firewall and HIPS are 2 totally different security modules with very distinctly different functions. Some might want to argue that the HIPS component built into COMODO allows itself to be disabled, at the time of the installation - what they might not want to admit is that despite the HIPS module being disabled, at installation, the COMODO installer nevertheless delivers the HIPS payload onto the system.

You may check out the above, for yourself.

I am aware WFC is not a Firewall, i know that it uses windows build in firewall this is a reason i dont like it i just dont feel that windows basic firewall is good enough i would rather use a third party software

Thanks for clearing the ZoneAlarm question up!

AHH i wasnt aware that HIPS was a completely different thing i just thought it was part of newer firewalls and it makes them stronger and more secure i have now read about it and understand,

thanks for the info and suggestions!

Hey, Mr. UpGrade!

All you need is Windows Firewall Control

It covers all, but you too early to prejudge it

Try it, maybe you need more time to understand...

Why you need Hips, btw ?!

for me it's useless

as i said above i just really dont like the built in windows firewall, maby its more of a personal thing but i just feel that its not as good, and i want hips because i like to see literally everything thats happening on my pc if an app is doing something i want to know.

I'm confused. You ask if Zone Alarm is still as good as it used to be, but then rule out WFC?

im confused at this i don't understand what ZoneAlarm has to do with WFC ?

I am aware WFC is not a Firewall, i know that it uses windows build in firewall this is a reason i dont like it i just dont feel that windows basic firewall is good enough i would rather use a third party software

That is quite legit. and I respect that feeling. ;)

Been using Outpost Pro for a number of years. Does everything I need flawlessly. Lifetime license ftw :)

Used to use Online Armour until it went to crap. Prefer Outpost.

Been using Outpost Pro for a number of years. Does everything I need flawlessly. Lifetime license ftw :)

Used to use Online Armour until it went to crap. Prefer Outpost.

how did you get a lifetime licence can they be purchased ?

Archived